BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games with Special Characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
auhbz
United States
California
flag msg tools
Not sure if this is the right way to go about doing this (I'm pretty new here). Wondering what others may suggest in regards to games with "special characters" A prime example would be something like Cosmic Encounter. Others could be Specter Ops, Chaos in the Old World, Shadowhunters... not sure if this is necessarily the same thing or not, but i guess you could call them asymmetrical games? Hope to get some recommendations!
Thanks in advance!

-Auhbz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
(The "Recommendations" forum is the right place for this kind of thread, so I red-x-ed your thread "wrong forum" so an admin can move it there.)

The thing you're looking for is sometimes called "special powers" or "factions", etc.

You might enjoy Neuroshima Hex! which comes with 4 different armies and has many more expansion armies published.

Also many traditional wargames (if you're open to them) are of this type, e.g. Combat Commander: Europe and its expansion Combat Commander: Mediterranean give you 6 national armies (German, US, Russian, British, French, Italian), each with their own decks of cards and specific advantages/disadvantages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In The Voyages of Marco Polo the players get some pretty different powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from New User Questions to Recommendations.

You'll get more responses here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Realm

Has 16 unique characters. Each has 2 special powers, different starting equipment and relationships with natives (NPCs). In addition, each character is unique in it's 12 action chits, which define what things they can do, how quickly, and how tired they will be from doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamemechanic/2015/variable-pl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highly recommended:

Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends
Summoner Wars: Master Set
Puzzle Strike
Exceed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
auhbz
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
auhbz
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've seen tash kalar, it looks like it could be pretty good. summoner wars seems to be getting a lot of praise, so i'll def check that one out again. exceed seems like one of those games that could potentially be replaced by battlecon, and i have devastation of the indines already so i probably wont be looking too much into that one. Thanks for the suggestions!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whack & Slaughter is all about making your Hero as special as you want. Customization at its finest!

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Smash Up might be something you'd like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The classic Citadels has marvellous characters that you switch around between the players during each turn.
The totally bizarre race traits in Small World always make for interesting games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
auhbz wrote:
exceed seems like one of those games that could potentially be replaced by battlecon, and i have devastation of the indines already so i probably wont be looking too much into that one.

Exceed is by the designer of BattleCON, and was meant to encourage bluffing and intuition rather than 100% analysis. I like it (though I still like BattleCON too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Small World - new combinations of special powers in each game. It's such a great thing. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.