Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Adding die to a check rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Something my brother and I have been discussing: if for example I reveal a Blessing of the Gods to "Add 1 die to a check", if my Melee is 1d12+2 do I roll two d12 and add TWO or do I add FOUR? It depends on what's meant exactly by "a die".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Boyen
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is explained in the FAQ on the Paizo site itself in this topic.

More specifically, for this question:
Quote:
Add Only What You Are Told to Add. If a card adds another die, that’s all it gives you: a die. It doesn’t give you your bonuses again. It doesn’t give you the skill associated with that die. It doesn’t give you the ability to recharge an Arcane spell if you don’t have the Arcane skill. When you play a Longbow to add your Strength die to a Combat check, you don’t get to play a Blessing of Gorum to add 2 dice, because you’re not attempting a Strength check. You just get a die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So it would be 2, right?

OK, so what if I have Seelah, in Combat I reveal a Glaive, meaning I get to roll 1d8 + 1d10. If I then reveal Blessing of the Gods, which die do I add, the d8 or the d10?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. At a quick glance this isn't as clear in the rules as I thought it was. Unless I just missed it.

Wrath rulebook p.13 wrote:
Assemble Your Dice. The skill you’re using and the cards you played determine the number and type of dice you roll. For example, if you’re attempting a check using your Strength skill, and your Strength die is d10, you’ll roll 1d10. If another player played a blessing to add a die to your check, you would roll 2d10.

Blessings always add the die you used for your skill. Just the die, no bonuses.

BTW, Blessing of the Gods requires you to discard it to add a die. No blessing has a reveal power, that I can think of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Boyen
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, in your case you add 2.

The rule is that when "a die" is added, it is the one from the skill that you are using to perform the check.

In your case, since Seelah is doing a strength check, it is the d8 that is added again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rulebook, the rule about which die to add is found under the discussion of blessing:

WotR Rulebook p24 wrote:
The dice added are normally of the type associated with the skill the character is using for the check; if a card instead specifies the exact dice to roll for the check, the added dice are of the type specified by that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.