La Granja» Forums » Rules

Subject: Moving on the siesta track rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
raist anient
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, I encountered an interesting situation on my first play.

When a player gets a siesta symbol (from any source -- maybe donkey marker or from one of the craft markers), can he decline to move up on the siesta track (for whatever reasons)?

Sometimes you don't want to move up on the siesta track. You actually want to go later, especially in the last round of the game (so you can either kick more people out of the market or you can not be kicked)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can refuse to move, if you get the siesta token from the craft building you will have to factor that into your strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The move from the donkey marker is mandatory. All other additional sombreros are optional.

You don't have to use your roof. When using a #5 die you can upgrade 2x. Helpers are not mandatory.

But actually I don't see the benefit in refusing to take them. But that is just my opinion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:
The move from the donkey marker is mandatory. All other additional sombreros are optional.

You don't have to use your roof. When using a #5 die you can upgrade 2x. Helpers are not mandatory.

But actually I don't see the benefit in refusing to take them. But that is just my opinion...

Is the craft marker siesta (+1 delivery and +1 siesta) also optional?

As for the benefit, going last in turn order with a large valued market barrow or two can be beneficial for knocking extra opponents out of the market. Also, there is the benefit of keeping your own markers from being knocked out (if you are completing a small market barrow for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:
bayerbube wrote:

The rule speaks of "allows" a bonus step. So I would say this is free.

Joakley815 wrote:
bayerbube wrote:

As for the benefit, going last in turn order with a large valued market barrow or two can be beneficial for knocking extra opponents out of the market. Also, there is the benefit of keeping your own markers from being knocked out (if you are completing a small market barrow for example).

I know what you mean. The question I am asking myself is, why this should be such a great benefit? Taking steps on the siesta track gives ou more benefits in my personal opinion. But that could be discussed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:
Joakley815 wrote:
bayerbube wrote:

Joakley815 wrote:
bayerbube wrote:

I know what you mean. The question I am asking myself is, why this should be such a great benefit? Taking steps on the siesta track gives ou more benefits in my personal opinion. But that could be discussed...

I think the OP is talking specifically about the last round of the game that if you plan to complete contracts it's more beneficial to you to go last because that way you can:
- Avoid being kicked out if you complete lower value contracts
- Be able to kick-out more stands from other players that had to put them in the board before you did...

In all other rounds of the game I think it's always better to be first to play rather than last... but in the final round it can be good to be last if you are planning to complete contracts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially in the end trying to save your market stalls is most of the time only worth one point (for the end of round scoring). Going up the siesta track can also be worth such points. Also it is most of the time good being early if you want to kick out other players. Being late and hoping for other players to come in first in order to be able to kick them out means that they have the chance to kick others out as well. Something you will miss when waiting... It all depends on the market barrows on the table. If the other players are trying to complet 2s or 3s it might be good to wait. If they go for highter barrows it might be bad... It all depends...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:
Especially in the end trying to save your market stalls is most of the time only worth one point (for the end of round scoring). Going up the siesta track can also be worth such points. Also it is most of the time good being early if you want to kick out other players. Being late and hoping for other players to come in first in order to be able to kick them out means that they have the chance to kick others out as well. Something you will miss when waiting... It all depends on the market barrows on the table. If the other players are trying to complet 2s or 3s it might be good to wait. If they go for highter barrows it might be bad... It all depends...

Indeed

See you in the Stronghold booth my Knight Comrade!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
raist anient
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
bayerbube wrote:
Joakley815 wrote:
bayerbube wrote:

Joakley815 wrote:
bayerbube wrote:

I think the OP is talking specifically about the last round of the game that if you plan to complete contracts it's more beneficial to you to go last because that way you can:
- Avoid being kicked out if you complete lower value contracts
- Be able to kick-out more stands from other players that had to put them in the board before you did...

In all other rounds of the game I think it's always better to be first to play rather than last... but in the final round it can be good to be last if you are planning to complete contracts

thanks everyone for the quick responses!

this was indeed what I meant and, yes, thanks for the clarifications

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.