2 Posts

Coup» Forums » General

Subject: B/W theme for small cards. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: theme [+] small [+] icon [+] b/w [+] coup [+] [View All]
Pfeffa-rah Pfeffa-rah
msg tools
Hi There,

I made a B/W theme for Coup to print on small cards for when I'm "on the road". I do have the beautifull big cards but that box is too big for me.

Since I used small cards there is no room for text so I used the icons that I found somewhere on the fora here on boardgamegeek.
All other immages are downloaded using Google.
I hope I don't break any laws by using them and sharing them here. (If so, please let me know and I will remove it.)

On the PDF the cards are rather large but I printed it smaller until it fitted my small sleeves.

enjoy,

Get pdf from my dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7a1v1yfst3jzoc/Coup%20Mini%20BW.p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Piovezan
Brazil
Jundiaí
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Real classy retheme!

Ahm, since you seem to care whether you're breaking the law, I'll try to give some orientation. I Am Not A Lawyer, and all, but I've read a lot on the subject. I suggest you do one thing first and foremost: read your country's copyright law, just for the sake of it.

I don't know if you already know this, but copyright law normally doesn't protect a game's mechanics, the ideas, the rules while logical and mathematical principles. What the law protects is the graphics and the wording. Also there's trademarks, but that's another issue I don't think really matters here.

One seemingly bad thing you did is not properly determine where the art you're using came from. First, if we don't know where it came from, we can't properly determine if there was copyright infringement. Second, in many countries, attribution is a very important moral right - that is, you have to name the author. And third, proper attribution is a good policy in general.

Now, BGG is an American website, and abides by American copyright law, which has that fair use thing. From reading the law, it's really hard to determine whether using that artwork is fair use or not, but this little article cleared things up for me (and it says, no, it's not fair use).

So I suggest you first clarify where that art came from. A lot of clipart like that is dedicated to the public domain, so it might just be okay.

In any case, I can recommend you some interesting websites for graphics:

Game-icons.net seems to be the best for this kind of graphics. It's all under a very permissive license CC BY (it basically just demands attribution). My only qualm with it is that they have a meeple icon, which methinks is a copyright violation, but I'm nitpicky.

openclipart has a lot of graphics dedicated to the public domain. Seems mostly legit, but you gotta be careful, as anyone can submit anything to that website.

OGA is a community dedicated to making game graphics using free culture and open licenses. It's pretty neat, but you gotta check what is the individual license for each item. Mostly they use permissive licenses, though.

I hope it helps! Once you get these things sorted out, you might want to post your retheme in the file section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.