Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

as you can see in this news Robot Entertainment decided in September 2016 to kick the PvP mode out of their OMD Unchained PC game!

Now, after this IP mess about the secret characters in January 2016 (for those of you who missed it: here and here) I fear that Robot Entertainment could claim their IP rights and force Petersen Games to remove the PvP mode from the boardgame as well!

This could lead to all Hero Pledgers to just getting two nearly identical boardgames without the possibility to connect them to a PvP experience. angry

I hope we will soon get an official statement from Petersen games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
carraway0877 wrote:
I fear that Robot Entertainment could claim their IP rights and force Petersen Games to remove the PvP mode from the boardgame as well!

what

this is one of the silliest things I've ever read on these forums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
Far more than an official statement I would appreciate to receive a game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

This might sound silly, but regarding this IP issue background it seems not impossible!

murks666 wrote:

I'd rather not receive the game if it lacks this mentioned promised feature!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carraway0877 wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:

This might sound silly, but regarding this IP issue background it seems not impossible!

murks666 wrote:

I'd rather not receive the game if it lacks this mentioned promised feature!

It's a ruleset. I don't think there are any components that allow this feature. So even if the PvP rules were removed, we could easily just "house-rule" them back in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donnbobhardy wrote:
It's a ruleset. I don't think there are any components that allow this feature. So even if the PvP rules were removed, we could easily just "house-rule" them back in.

If they have to remove the PvP mode they certainly will remove the PvP skills from the character sheets. So you'll have to use the already released pdf character sheets, when you want to houserule the full PvP experience back in.

Apart from that: When I spend that much money on a board game I want it to contain all the promised features, especially those I see crucial for myself and my gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI

Arthur confirmed that the games are already boxed and in containers and thus
Arthur wrote:
It is, thankfully, waaaaaay too late for (any further!!) changes in the VG to affect the board game.

Source: OMD KS comment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

Let me assuage your fears - no changes will be made to the rules of the OMD board game.

Yes, Robot made us change characters at a very unfortunate time (re-tooling! hurray!), but it is waaay too late to make rules changes so vast as that (every single Hero sheet has a "rivalry" ability printed on it, so it's more than a matter of just changing the rulebook, which has been final for a while).

Very shortly - like, today, I believe - we are sending an update on the OMD KS which includes a digital download of the entire OMD rulebook (it is the same rules for both games, and includes the Rivalry rules showing how to play with both games).

Trust me on this - Rivalry Mode is 4 times better than standard co-op. Could be because I personally don't like co-ops, except for a few, but also I think there is a general dearth of team games in which you have allies, but it is not coop - outside of some war and war-based strategy games.

In any case, Rivalry mode is waaaay too cool to cut out, and really Robot never requested us to change that, possibly because they couldn't - the rules of the board game are technically from Sandy. The IP has more to do with the art, theme, names, licensing, etc. Robot had no input for the rules, beyond the fact that a great many employees (and friends of Sandy) playtested the hell out of the board game. But they didn't design it, really.

(to be honest - some of the neat abilities of the heroes we had to remove were fitted to the new ones, so from a gameplay perspective, not much has ever changed from what Sandy has always wanted to do with it).

Also, waiting on final confirm for the US container ship out date. All other regions we have the dates for. When we know the US one, we will announce it loudly on the KS, and provide vessel tracking.

ORCTOBER is here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.