Popular Tags: [View All]
Melvin Smiley
Germany
Pforzheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello there,

yesterday I discovered, that there will be an Armada Tournament in a FLGS near me next month.

Since a friend of mine brought me into the Game (we both are quite big SW-Fans since we were little), I toyed with the idea of participating.

I must say, that I'm quite a newby (I played 4 games in total (one was the training game with just the starter box)) and since I only play against this one friend I feel that I don't have too much of a understanding or feeling of the game (especially with expansions none of us posseses).
Since we never played with "choose the objective" (we decided on one we both felt would be fun), I don't know which one would fit the best with my list.

So any tips/comments or criticism would be helpful.

So this is my first draft of a list:

• Imperial II-class Star Destroyer - Imperial-class Star Destroyer (120) - Admiral Ozzel (20) - Wing Commander (6) - Gunnery Team (7) - Boosted Comms (4) - Overload Pulse (8) - Avenger (5)
• Total : 170
2 • Victory I-class Star Destroyer - Victory-class Star Destroyer (73) - Ordnance Experts (4) - Expanded Hangar Bay (5) - Assault Concussion Missiles (7)
• Total : 89
3 • Raider I-class corvette - Raider class corvette (44)
• Total : 44
4 • Firespray-31 - Firespray-31 (18)
• Total : 18
5 • Firespray-31 - Firespray-31 (18)
• Total : 18
6 • TIE Fighter Squadron - TIE Fighter (8)
• Total : 8
7 • TIE Fighter Squadron - TIE Fighter (8)
• Total : 8
8 • Dengar Punishing One - JumpMaster 5000 (20)
• Total : 20
9 • Major Rhymer TIE Bomber Squadron - TIE Bomber (16)
• Total : 16
10 • TIE Bomber Squadron - TIE Bomber (9)
• Total : 9

My idea would be to get the ISD right into the fray, get the Victory in it to punch the enemies biggest ship and try to Rhymer Ball any other (smaller) enemy ships.
The raider is there to protect the Rhymerball.

I can get 2 Versions of the basegame, a raider, an ISD, 2 x Imperial Squadrons and 2x the villains. Would buying a gladiator help?

Thanks in advance and May the force be with you (dark side natural
So long, Melvin Smiley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the list is ok, however, I think your ISD is trying to do too many things. The synergy with boosted comms and wing commander make sense, but (IMHO!) Admiral Ozzel doesn't seem to fit what you need and neither does avenger.

You want to get the ISD into the fight, but it maneouvers like a cow and it's power is in the front arc. Do you want to use it as a gun platform or a aircraft carrier? You could take the relentless title, instead of Avenger that means it becomes more manoeuverable (less planning required). Plus, with boosted comms, the ISD can afford to hang back a little to avoid the bomber rush from the rebels.

Your list is not unviable, not at all, but I like to look at synergies. Admiral Ozzel is a useful admiral for large fleets, without fighters. Admiral Motti may be a better choice, if you can squeeze the points out. It gives your ships a lot more staying power.

I choose the objectives that meet my play style, then I build my fleet to meet those objectives, throw in a wildcard to allow for the opponents choices, go from there.

What do you think?
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my gut feeling is you're wasting points on the victory and the Raider. Can you squeeze a gladiator in there with the devastator title instead? as a support it's a great ship and can do some serious damage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melvin Smiley
Germany
Pforzheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Furey wrote:
I think the list is ok, however, I think your ISD is trying to do too many things. The synergy with boosted comms and wing commander make sense, but (IMHO!) Admiral Ozzel doesn't seem to fit what you need and neither does avenger.

You want to get the ISD into the fight, but it maneouvers like a cow and it's power is in the front arc. Do you want to use it as a gun platform or a aircraft carrier? You could take the relentless title, instead of Avenger that means it becomes more manoeuverable (less planning required). Plus, with boosted comms, the ISD can afford to hang back a little to avoid the bomber rush from the rebels.

My idea was to get the Rhymerball with boosted comms and wing commander (not sure if "Expanded Hangars" would be better on the ISD) and then exhaust all his defence tokens and hammer away since with "Avenger" he can't use those exhausted tokens. And use Ozzel to slow the ISD very fast down.

Furey wrote:

Your list is not unviable, not at all, but I like to look at synergies. Admiral Ozzel is a useful admiral for large fleets, without fighters. Admiral Motti may be a better choice, if you can squeeze the points out. It gives your ships a lot more staying power.

I choose the objectives that meet my play style, then I build my fleet to meet those objectives, throw in a wildcard to allow for the opponents choices, go from there.

What do you think?
cool

I don't own the Gladiator Expansion (neither does my friend) so I can't use him, so it was a question between Vader/Tarkin and Ozzel and since Ozzel is the cheapest I choose him.

Thanks a lot for the response. Before the tournament I want to test the fleet against my friend probably, (to see how a Rhymer/Firespray Ball plays).

In term of objectives I was thinking
Precision Strike: (to use all my bombers/dices from the ISD/Victory)

Fleet Ambush: If he has to set up into the ambush zone, my ships could try to get them before they're together again and if I have to deploy in the Ambush zone I'd deploy the raider in the back and then fly full speed towards the other 2 ships

Minefield: I'd try to herd the enemy fleet into the front arcs of my Stardestroyer and attack with my Rhymerball without being hindered by the mines.

So this would be my 2 cents.

simondtaylor wrote:
my gut feeling is you're wasting points on the victory and the Raider. Can you squeeze a gladiator in there with the devastator title instead? as a support it's a great ship and can do some serious damage

I was afraid that rebel squadrons would kill my Rhymerball so that's were the Raider comes from. And since I still got around 100 Points with the Squadrons/ISD i'd took a Victory (since I don't own any other imperial ships the choice was not that hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, well, tough call then. If you intend to use both VSD and ISD as carrier/gunships, then the setup looks ok, given the restrictions. You could play about with expanded launchers rather than assault missile launchers, but that's down to your style. Shame you can't fit X17 turbo lasers, they'd be nice in this setup.

All I'd say is consider what you can lose. That ISD is a bullet magnet and it steers like super tanker, so bolstering shields or side arcs makes for more resilient or aggressive target. 5 dice (with enhanced armament) could prove fatal for the usual rebel fly by.

Good luck and let us know how it goes
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.