Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a piece that looks at what generates VP in the game. It's somewhat wonky and mechanical, and as I note, for every "you should do this by turn X" and "don't do that" there exists exceptions, and therein, of course, lies the fun.

https://hollandspiele.com/blogs/hollandazed-thoughts-ideas-a...

Feel free of course to agree, disagree, etc. It's probably safe to say that I've won the game more times than anyone else, simply because I've played it more times than anyone else, but I still lose way more often than I win, and it could be there's some optimal strategy that's eluding my grasp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hughes
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that Tom! That will come in handy as I learn the game. I started my first game the other day but only had time to play one turn. I'm hoping to get it on the table when I'm back on the road for work this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brenycz
msg tools
mb
Thanks it was a good read. It does line up with my experience so far. Played three times so far, two loses and one win. First time lost early rushing into battle, second time didn't meet an early VP threshold.

My third try I played a bit smarter and spread my settlements out one per region. Less attacking and more peacekeeping. Calgacus showed up and I was able to get up north for an epic final battle on turn 6 which cleared all the red units. It was lucky as I probably should have built up more forces but in a great battle I won with only 2 units remaining. Then the next two turns I just passed for VP. I just barely made it past the win amount.

Great game really fun, I would be interested in a blog on any historical info or books on this particular time period. Also will keep an eye out for anymore solitaire game designs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ANTIDEAD wrote:
Thanks it was a good read. It does line up with my experience so far. Played three times so far, two loses and one win. First time lost early rushing into battle, second time didn't meet an early VP threshold.

My third try I played a bit smarter and spread my settlements out one per region. Less attacking and more peacekeeping. Calgacus showed up and I was able to get up north for an epic final battle on turn 6 which cleared all the red units. It was lucky as I probably should have built up more forces but in a great battle I won with only 2 units remaining. Then the next two turns I just passed for VP. I just barely made it past the win amount.

Great game really fun, I would be interested in a blog on any historical info or books on this particular time period. Also will keep an eye out for anymore solitaire game designs.

Thanks, Andrew.

There are a number of books about Rome and the period, but as far as about Agricola and his time in Britain specifically, I got most of my information from the primary source, Tacitus's De vita et moribus Iulii Agricolae; you can find it in English translation for free online in a number of places, including Wikisource.

For a general overview of the entire Roman story from the founding of the city to the fall of the Western Empire, I would recommend Mike Duncan's podcast "The History of Rome". The first few episodes are a little rough, owing both to him finding his feet and to the blend of history and myth that defines the early days of the empire. But from the Punic Wars on, he really hits his stride, giving enough detail to be interesting without bogging it down in really fine hair-splitting, and the result is an engaging and fascinating popular history. There are a couple of tics he has that drive me just a little crazy-- he likes to use immediate verbatim repetition of long-winded phrases as a rhetorical device, and he tries to slip a few jokes in there which sometimes fall flat. But mostly he's engaging and informative, so I can grimace and bear it. I find these sorts of podcasts are great to get your feet wet and orient yourself in how the various threads of history intertwine, and then you delve deeper with books-- both new scholarship and primary sources (a designer's best friend)-- from there.

We do have a couple of other solitaire designs in the pipeline, one of which will use a very similar set of mechanisms (with some added complexity and nuance) to recreate the reign of Charlemagne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Feldman
United States
Downers Grove
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How's the progress on the Charlemagne game coming along?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
m_c_f_22 wrote:
How's the progress on the Charlemagne game coming along?

Slowly.

Right now, Mary and I are getting March's release (two Brian Train games, including Ukrainian Crisis) and April's (my Supply Lines of the American Revolution: The Northern Theater, 1775-1777) ready. Once we've done that, we have a little bit of breathing room while waiting for the art on May and June's releases, during which I'm going to be dividing my attention between the Charlemagne game and my Optimates Et Populares political struggle game.

We'll probably see the Charlemagne game out in Q3 or Q4, but it might get pushed back to Q1 of 2018. All depends on the testing and the artists' schedules. Since it's based on an existing system, the testing will be more about refining and balance and less about the fundamentals, so I'm optimistic about the process running pretty smoothly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for letting this! My first play I lost on turn 2 when I couldn't come up with the 8th VP.

Hopefully this will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankie Bones

Montana
msg tools
Many, of course, will rant and rave against the garment fate has woven for them, but they pick it up and don it all the same, and most wear it to the end of their days. You…you would rather go naked into the storm.
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the strategy guide Tom but I still don't get how I am going to get past turn 2. I have played 5 times and each time, I'm not close to getting the 8VP to get past turn 2. The closest I have come is (4).

I had one 3 settlement, 2 empty regions and I had a 3 aquila unit. I could have paid 3 to bring that to 5 but that was because everthing went right for me.

Does anyone have advice on how to get to turn 3? I'm stumped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nighteyes77 wrote:
I read the strategy guide Tom but I still don't get how I am going to get past turn 2. I have played 5 times and each time, I'm not close to getting the 8VP to get past turn 2. The closest I have come is (4).

I had one 3 settlement, 2 empty regions and I had a 3 aquila unit. I could have paid 3 to bring that to 5 but that was because everthing went right for me.

I'm not seeing how you could only have 4 VP at the end of Turn 2 if you had 3 VP on Turn 1-- that's a gain of only 1 VP. But you said you had a 3-settlement (1 VP), two empties (2 VP), and a 3-aquila unit (1 VP).

3 VP (from turn 1) plus 4 VP (from Turn 2) would give you 7 VP. If you pay three Coins and add one more VP, you're up to 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Triantafyllidis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Just to make it clear.The VPs do accumulate each round.The VPs requirement does not reset with every round.You keep track of the VPs you scored on the first round and you never lose them.If you have scored 4VPs in your first round then you need at least 4VPs in the end of your second round to meet the 8 VPs requirement.You count the VPs generated so far.And that is why an ealry build settlement or an early captured/eliminated enemy Leader will score more heavily for you.You carry the VPs over to the next rounds.Consult the VP track printed and familiarize with the progressively increasing demand for VPs as the game unfolds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.