7 Wonders: Duel #9
Food Chain Magnate #38
Fields of Arle #50
Viticulture Essential Edition #60
Istanbul #89
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition #91

For a review/explanation of the terms in this thread, check out:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Top_100_Analysis

The top ten got jostled this week. MoM is back with edition.

Have a good week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks as always! Love checking into these updates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lim Lex

Portland
Oregon
msg tools
mbmb
always like these analysis ...... btw Rasmus do you have a subscription geeklist on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Percival
Australia
Bendigo
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not like Agricola, but I am surprised 7 Wonders: Duel has knocked it down. I felt it was the better of the two by a significant margin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Elric of Grans wrote:
I do not like Agricola, but I am surprised 7 Wonders: Duel has knocked it down. I felt it was the better of the two by a significant margin.

It is better, far better. People have no taste whenever they disagree with my opinion. I'm joking. Except that I'm not. 7 Wonders is a fine light game. Agricola is a masterpiece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Elric of Grans wrote:

It is better, far better. People have no taste whenever they disagree with my opinion. I'm joking. Except that I'm not. 7 Wonders is a fine light game. Agricola is a masterpiece.

Codenames, duel, castles, pandemic, the light games are taking over (and yes, i would rate all of those as light-> light medium)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Elric of Grans wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Elric of Grans wrote:

Well I'm pleased 7 Wonders: Duel is in the top ten, as it means I own 60% of the greatest games of all time.

I guess I am surprised and not surprised it is in the top 10.

The price in the UK at least was really cheap, sub £20, though it is more now. Impulse purchase territory. Exciting theme. Cool box art. Short games. Neat art. Looks fun. Is fun. Has a neat twist. Plays very well at two, obviously! Very, very good at what it does.

But here is the thing: I find it really difficult to compare such different games!

One I struggle with is Biblios. It is such a simple game but for me, absolutely brilliant at what it does. I have it higher in my ratings than CO2, which I love as well.

Biblios vs CO2? Kind of a bonkers duel.

What I would love to know about 7 Wonders: Duel (and also, Patchwork), is how many people on BGG actually consider it one of the best games of all time? How many people with a fair few games played would rank it top 10?

Perhaps it is many people, I don't know.

For me, I have scored Duel a 9, I am in a very small part why it is top ten I guess. But for me it is nowhere near my actual top 10 games.

Patchwork I have as 8. A high score but nowhere near my top 10.

Are these games just extremely good at what they are, crowd-pleasers (and I mean that in a good way), but not actually games that people think are among the elite (whatver that means for folks)? Or are they top of the tree?

I've only played Agricola once, that was enough to put me off.

Teehee I am just kidding, I need some more plays of it to sense just how great it is for me, it was too deep for me to understand from one play (and I like that). I love Loyang and All Creatures, I imagine Argicola will be right up my street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackmeeple wrote:
skutsch wrote:
Elric of Grans wrote:

Well I'm pleased 7 Wonders: Duel is in the top ten, as it means I own 60% of the greatest games of all time.

The price in the UK at least was really cheap, sub £20, though it is more now. Impulse purchase territory. Exciting theme. Cool box art. Short games. Neat art. Looks fun. Is fun. Has a neat twist. Plays very well at two, obviously! Very, very good at what it does.

But here is the thing: I find it really difficult to compare such different games!

One I struggle with is Biblios. It is such a simple game but for me, absolutely brilliant at what it does. I have it higher in my ratings than CO2, which I love as well.

What I would love to know about 7 Wonders: Duel (and also, Patchwork), is how many people on BGG actually consider it one of the best games of all time? How many people with a fair few games played would rank it top 10?

For me, I have scored Duel a 9, I am in a very small part why it is top ten I guess. But for me it is nowhere near my actual top 10 games.

Are these games just extremely good at what they are, crowd-pleasers (and I mean that in a good way), but not actually games that people think are among the elite (whatver that means for folks)? Or are they top of the tree?

Teehee I am just kidding, I need some more plays of it to sense just how great it is for me, it was too deep for me to understand from one play (and I like that). I love Loyang and All Creatures, I imagine Argicola will be right up my street.

Yeah, I definitely feel that 7W Duel and Patchwork are great light filler games, that I happily play. But I would never ever rank them along the meatier classics. No way. Agricola vs 7W Duel?? No contest mate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
BlueSwan wrote:

Yeah, I definitely feel that 7W Duel and Patchwork are great light filler games, that I happily play. But I would never ever rank them along the meatier classics. No way. Agricola vs 7W Duel?? No contest mate.

It might be more fitting to think of the rankings as not which game is better than the other, but how well that game fills its particular niche Patchwork is a light, gateway 2-player game and it fills that niche very well--and it's the only game besides Jaipur that does this in the top 100. (7W: Duel is light, but I don't consider it a gateway game due to lots of rules and zillions of icons... my criteria for what constitutes a "gateway game" is "could I teach this to my mom?" )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition #91. Hope I can play this soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten Bundgaard
United States
Henderson
Kentucky
flag msg tools
blackmeeple wrote:

That's an interesting question. I think there are several factors at work. Perhaps the most important one is the BGG ranking algorithm. 7 Wonders: Duel has an average rating of 8.21 after being rated 12811 times. Meanwhile, Agricola "only" has an average rating of 8.08, but it has been rated a staggering 45225 times. I suspect when/if 7WD has 4 times as many ratings as now, it would fare worse than Agricola is currently doing. So I guess my first point is simply that we should reject the notion that the BGG top ten is the same as the top ten of all time. (Tiny footnote: I don't mean to imply that you said they were the same, merely that we should be careful about how much meaning we attribute to the top ten).

I don't know how many games you consider a fair few. I've played maybe 300 different games, rated about 200 of them. I don't know if 7WD is a top ten game for me, but it comes really close. I normally prefer slightly heavier games, but it just works so well. Many of the players in my gaming groups prefer far lighter games than I do. For them, 7WD is the right weight and it's a good game. Combine that with the price and I'm not surprised it's so popular. Given the ephemeral nature of the top ten, I think it deserves to be there now, but I also fully expect it to have fallen back out in a few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
blackmeeple wrote:
skutsch wrote:
Elric of Grans wrote:

I honestly cannot imagine how Agricola or Puerto Rico got in the top 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.