Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Hi!
I normally really don't mind a little luck and randomness in a strategy game. At the least it gives some tension to the game and allows for newer players to be able to win against veterans. But when hearing about the rules and watching some videos about the oracle of delphi, there are some issues which i want to talk about.

1)i am not worried about the dice. Feld always uses them and you have different ways of mitigating them.

2)My fear is with the goals plus the random nature of the board setup. Does everybody have the same 12 goals they have to achieve? Cause if not, would it not be unbalanced if someones goals where in a greater distance than the goals of the other players?

3)The board is build "as you please" at the beginning of the game. Every player starts in a slighty different position, in the middle of the board. Is this not an issue for an unbalanced game?

4)You draw damage cards randomly from a deck. If you have 3 matching ones, you miss a turn. Damage can be avoided if you invest in shields, but still, someone can have lots of cards and doesn't have matching ones, but I get my first 3 cards and they all match. Wouldn't this have a huge impact on the game by pure luck?

I hope these points are unfounded and the game really is, to a point, balanced and not random so that the better player wins and not the one who has more luck.

Dou you have any information about these issues in the game?

greetings, Enroth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Enroth186 wrote:

2)My fear is with the goals plus the random nature of the board setup. Does everybody have the same 12 goals they have to achieve? Cause if not, would it not be unbalanced if someones goals where in a greater distance than the goals of the other players?

All players have the same goals. Some of them require "any one" statue or offering. So you need to make better planing than the other players. That's what the game is about in general.

Enroth186 wrote:

3)The board is build "as you please" at the beginning of the game. Every player starts in a slighty different position, in the middle of the board. Is this not an issue for an unbalanced game?

All players start in the same spot.

Enroth186 wrote:

4)You draw damage cards randomly from a deck. If you have 3 matching ones, you miss a turn. Damage can be avoided if you invest in shields, but still, someone can have lots of cards and doesn't have matching ones, but I get my first 3 cards and they all match. Wouldn't this have a huge impact on the game by pure luck?

It's not pure luck but risk managemant. You can use an action to discard injury cards. So if you take the risk and let your injuries get to strong that is actually your fault. You won't get the "wrong" injuries all the time... The game lasts too long for this being a real tough spot...

Besides that there are many ways to deal with injuries. There is a special god for this. Also you can go for companions that give you shields...

You can compare this a bit to the rats from Notre Dame or the octopods from Aquasphere. Something that is disturbing but can be dealt with...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2. Everyone has the same goals. This is covered in the rulebook.

3. Yes, the board is "as you please" but within reason. There is a recommended way to set up "random" boards in the rules.

4. Yes, but fighting the monsters is already luck based with dice rolls. It's just another part of the game where you have to react and plan accordingly. There is a way to remove damage as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not everyone has the same goals. Mostly the same, but you have to find the three islands in your color which could be scattered all over the map. Other players might reveal them for you (because they get a large bonus for doing so) but you still have to go there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mb
Regarding injury cards, you skip a turn if you have 3 equally colored Injury Cards OR 6 Injury Cards in total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hughes
msg tools
And the Injury cards are open (face up) so it is possible to assess the probability of getting (say) 3 reds. Great stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh, I wrote a long text, but then the page shut down... So I will just list my main points quickly:

To me, there is definitely too much luck in this game! This makes an otherwise "heavy" game too light in my opinion.

Yes, you can of course spend an action removing cards, but there is no doubt that it's just bad luck getting 3 cards of the same color... Or when you have 4 cards, a 6 is rolled. Or when you randomly pick a tile with the favor of one of the gods, and it happens to be your own tile so you can plop down a building for free. Or the dice; even though you can change them, you can't change them either way as in Castles of Burgundy (which makes that game great), so if you roll some dice just one spot ahead of the dice you actually need, you will have to spend way too many god tokens. Or the combat which is a dice roll, and a 0 gives you a wound with nothing you can do about it. Etc.
And actually, all of these things happened in my first game... So, to me, this game has too much luck and randomness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.