Doomtown: Reloaded» Forums » Variants

Subject: [WIP] Project Kabukimono - A Doomtown: Reloaded Mod rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb

A complete retheming of Doomtown: Reloaded, (loosely) based on the Edo period of Japan (1603-1868). With a twist.

Why?
Doomtown is notoriously hard to teach new players. I had some ideas to exchange some of the language with symbols to ease the reading of the cards. This then spiraled out of control into a complete retheming.
What i'm aiming for right now is a "Game of Thrones HBO-edition" type of base game that is somewhat "dumbed down". This means i have to re-write some of the rules and some of the language.
For the most part i'm trying to be as faithful to Reloaded as i can, gameplay-wise.

Fire (Spades)
Blue Gang, Red Gang & Neutral Faction

Earth (Diamonds)
In-town & Out of Town

Water & Air (Hearts & Clubs)

Characters:
Blue Gang (keeping the city in check)

Red Gang (stirring up problems)

Neutral Faction (random citizens)

Still to do:
Homes (Outfits)
Re-writing the rules to fit with all the name substitutes
Watching a lot of anime on mute for images
Creating two basic starter decks
Learn how to do a PnP-document

*Note: Obviously all of this is very much work in progress. I recently hit a small bump in the motivational road so i'm looking for some feedback and criticism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soulblight
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great! I like the use of symbols to represent what Doomtown chose to do with words - it makes it more official and consistent and prevents the slight inconsistencies with wording with which Doomtown is rife.

It took me a little while to figure out how the gangs were different, because the symbols are all red and there were supposed to be 3 gangs in those 3 pictures. Then I realized I was supposed to be looking at the colour of the clouds, and perhaps the symbol behind each character.

Have you considered moving the symbol to the beige part of the card, to the left of the text box?

I originally thought the fan was an influence symbol, but then realized it's the analog of the bullet symbol. Why did you chose a fan? It doesn't strike me as a symbol of fighting/agression.

I think this simplification is a great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
somaluna wrote:
It took me a little while to figure out how the gangs were different, because the symbols are all red and there were supposed to be 3 gangs in those 3 pictures. Then I realized I was supposed to be looking at the colour of the clouds, and perhaps the symbol behind each character.

Have you considered moving the symbol to the beige part of the card, to the left of the text box?

First i had a small symbol underneath the white stone just as in reloaded. But because all Fire cards have a slight red tone to them i wanted the different factions to stand out more so i switched to a color/symbol background. I could probably slide the background around a bit to make the symbol a bit more visible.

somaluna wrote:
I originally thought the fan was an influence symbol, but then realized it's the analog of the bullet symbol. Why did you chose a fan? It doesn't strike me as a symbol of fighting/agression.

This kung fu fan (hehe) begs to differ.

No but honestly, i just wanted a pretty basic symbol that was visible with a number on it. A sword/katana just kind of dissapeared behind it. I also like the fan with the rest of the layout.
I have thinking about just having a card symbol instead 'cause that's what it does, let's you draw/redraw cards... But i guess you can fan yourself with cards so a fan isn't that far-fetched?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Poker is an awkward fit for samurai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.