Popular Tags: [View All]
François Varloot
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GREAT GAME!!!!
And great support on BGG!!!!

Now is it me or are the industrial VP bonus (end of game VP for majority shareholders) not as good as they should be to make them worth fighting for?

Played a few 4 players games over the week-end and each time the VP value on the buildings seems to be such that you are always wining if you choose to buy the highest direct building VP value rather than a lower one that would give you more industrial chances of majority.
Building value at end of game was around 14-16 pts for the best players, and industry only gave an advantage of some 4-6 pts if you compare two scores. Seems better (less risky) to fight for 2 more buildings without caring about industies on the cards (especially as the two more buildings may actually be enough to give you good industry VP).

Ultimately, it feels like industry is just a nice bonus at the end where it could have been a much more competitive struggle.

We are considering increasing the value of the Town Hall industry VP. Would really appreciate some feedback on that idea from Gamelyn (what was the return of experience while testing VP values?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spike K
msg tools
21-19-19-15

I had 15, but only got one bonus of 3. If I had bought the better shares, I could have had more bonuses. Winner at 21 had I believe the more valuable buildings and +3 bonus at the end.

Sometimes all you can do is afford a 3-4 cost building vs the 5-6 buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Metro Detroit Area
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The lower cost and by design less VP buildings have more industry icons, increasing your chances to get larger bonuses. I think this is a nice balance aspect to the game. I like the bonus system as is so far, as it adds distinction between collecting around the same number of buildings, but not over compensation for hoarding low cost ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RollD6 wrote:
The lower cost and by design less VP buildings have more industry icons, increasing your chances to get larger bonuses. I think this is a nice balance aspect to the game. I like the bonus system as is so far, as it adds distinction between collecting around the same number of buildings, but not over compensation for hoarding low cost ones.

This ^
If you're raking in the influence than you can go for the high cost high VP buildings. But if not, those cheaper buildings are (generally) easier to get Industry Bonuses with. Of course you'll still need to work with the Industry track and/or win the poker hand to adjust it to your needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
I also felt this is an issue. The industry VPs do need to be slightly higher, as taking a 1 point building over a 4 just for industry will be a wash at best, at thats only if the industry from that building puts you on top. Between the imbalance of player powers and the weak use of the end game bonus this game is obviously in need of some house ruling. This may be acceptable for a first game from a company, but by this time they should have learned how to playtest their games. Wont give another dime to Gamelyn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Varloot
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RollD6 wrote:

I agree that the "less VP buildings have more industry icons" is great idea and I love it. I'm just questioning whether it's accurately balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frencois wrote:
I agree that the "less VP buildings have more industry icons" is great idea and I love it. I'm just questioning whether it's accurately balanced.

Well let's take a look

We have 30 buildings:
Cost
Industry
Cost/Industry
Cost/Point
Total Cards
So, for the cheapest buildings, costing 3 Influence, you're getting 3 Industry, and 1 Victory Point. The expensive buildings give only 1 Industry, but 4 Victory Points. The 4, and 5 cost buildings sit between. Also, there are only three 6 Influence cost (1 Industry) cards in the game, while most cards cost 4 Influence and have 2 Industry icons.

---

Here are the totals for all the buildings:
Total
Bldgs

Law
Cost

Gold
Cost

Force
Cost

Mines
Icons

Railroad
Icons

Wagon
Icons

Total
Everything looks balanced (+-1).

---

Looking at the Average Influence Costs / Industry Type:

Law
Gold
Force
Mine
Rail
Wagon
Here we see that Mines cost a bit more Law on average. Rail and Wagons both cost a bit more Gold than Law or Force.

Info taken from the card list uploaded by Natsula here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/138071/tiny-epic-western-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
I think the balance question is about whether or not the industry points are worth going for in comparison to going for points from buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolis Koutsikos

Athens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without taking costs and potential industries point rewards in question, VP from buildings are worth more (and that's why they cost more as is proper).
That makes 3VP, 2 Industry buildings particularly valuable.

Depending on
1)your available influence
2)the potential point swing for your final standing in each industry share, compared to other players'
3)the building's ability and how easy you could access it next turn

you could prioritize a low VP building over a higher one. But it's really conditional depending on board position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.