The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: 'Icon' and 'printed icon' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Devos
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always thought that when a card reads 'attach to a 'lore' character' means it is specifically meant for a printed lore character.
If the word 'printed' is involved I have no doubt. However when they talke about a 'specific sphere' character i assume that is also one with the printed sphere mentioned.

However a few times I have come across decks that say for example that they would equip a burning brand on Beregond who has Song of Wisdom on him. This confuses me.
In my opinion Song of Wisdom does not make any non-lore character into a Lore character. It rather keeps it (in the example of beregond) a tactics character that has access to lore-goodies.

If a card would say somehting like 'attach to a character with a Lore icon' (and the word printed is not there) I would understand this. But specifically talking about a 'Lore character' refers to a printed lore icon.

So is it correct that you can actually equip a burning brand on Beregond with song of wisdom? (this would be quite OP)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
It only requires a printed icon if it says so.

A "sphere" hero is any hero who has that icon, even if it comes from attachment like songs or Aragorn bling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles wohlganger
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only that, but most cards only check for legality when they are being played. So, hero Gandalf can have sphere-restricted cards played onto him from the top of the deck, and they stay there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the result is accurate, that's not why. Cards played via Gandalf are considered, well, "played," so they go through all the normal restriction checks. Otherwise you could use him to create some hilariously broken situations.

Hero Gandalf does get all four spheres for the purposes of playing that card, however. Though, this is mostly so that you can actually pay for whatever card you're playing, rather than so you can slap attachments on him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.