Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geki
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, I am not the most assiduous kickstarter backer, so it is possible that I would not have backed anyhow (I would say 75% chance of backing), but the annoyance for being punished for not knowing about the project early enough means I will probably not back this. I never understood this attitude. I had to scroll trough many no longer available rewards just to get to the "now you can pay more than these other people" option.

To make this post a constructive one instead of just a venting opportunity, though, I am curious of whether there are any kickstarter exclusives I will be missing out on if I simply wait for the project to be completed with the money of those who received a discount and simply buy this at retail later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The early Bird of this project does not give you acces to any special content, it just gives you a small discount (like five Euro) on the final price of 44€ plus shipping. so, no, if you have no early bird you will not have different content, just pay 5 € more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I don't like it either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dna_Boy wrote:
Yep, I don't like it either.

Read my answer above.

The point now is the following. Do you chip in to the project for a discount and help two lads to fulfill their dream or wait for the retail copy?

Your call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and actually, on this project, because of the change in shipping fees, I ended up giving up my early bird bird pledge in favor of a newer lower-priced shipping alternative that ended up saving me money.

Don't fret over the early bird pledge here. If you like the game, back it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Sada
Mexico
Monterrey
Nuevo León
flag msg tools
Hey! Had to hover didnt you?
badge
mbmbmbmb
What I liked about this project's early bird was that it was a timed thing.
Anyone within 48 hr can enter, this helps boost the campaign funding. While you might dislike that you didn't notice the campaign sooner the reason why you found out later could be the buzz provoked after this initial funding or many other things.

They definitely mishandled the whole Early Pledge situation, as the pledges include automatically the shipping fees. When they reduced the shipping fees they couldn't change the pledges automatic addition of the old rates so all USA backers received an "Early Pledge" with the reduced shipping in another pledge level while the Early Pledge guys remained the same.
European backers got a discount as well.

The only exclusives might be upgraded meeples IF the project gets those stretch goals.
Shipping is quite high for the US so either you like this game for the mechanics/gameplay or just wait to see if it hits retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Seuntjens
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
This is our first Kickstarter and the earlybird is something we will do different next time.

I'd prefer a campaign without earlybird myself. But it has some advantages and disadvantages.

The advantage is that a lot of people pledge soon and help boost your campaign in the first days. We were in the top 10 of most popular projects in the first days. And that turned out to be very essential to make it succesful. That is even much more important than any BGG advertising. BGG advertising is overrated. We can see that in the stats.

The first disadvantage is that other people have the impression they are paying too much if you give a discount. We cannot sell the game to everyone at 39€. But at Kickstarter it's now 44€, which is still much cheaper than the MSRP, which will be 54€.

The second disadvantage is that a lot of those earlybirds decide to leave in the next weeks, which doesn't help the campaign of course. For every 10 new people, we have 5 earlybirds leaving again.

What we will do different next time is probably that we won't give an actual discount anymore.
We're thinking about replacing the discount by a small add-on included in the earlybird pledge that later backers can add seperately if they wish. Please give us your thoughts on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rudy Seuntjens wrote:
This is our first Kickstarter and the earlybird is something we will do different next time.

I'd prefer a campaign without earlybird myself. But it has some advantages and disadvantages.

The advantage is that a lot of people pledge soon and help boost your campaign in the first days. We were in the top 10 of most popular projects in the first days. And that turned out to be very essential to make it succesful. That is even much more important than any BGG advertising. BGG advertising is overrated. We can see that in the stats.

The first disadvantage is that other people have the impression they are paying too much if you give a discount. We cannot sell the game to everyone at 39€. But at Kickstarter it's now 44€, which is still much cheaper than the MSRP, which will be 54€.

The second disadvantage is that a lot of those earlybirds decide to leave in the next weeks, which doesn't help the campaign of course. For every 10 new people, we have 5 earlybirds leaving again.

What we will do different next time is probably that we won't give an actual discount anymore.
We're thinking about replacing the discount by a small add-on included in the earlybird pledge that later backers can add seperately if they wish. Please give us your thoughts on that.

I feel your pain, I know running a KS campaign is way harder than it looks. I doubt early birds are as much of a necessity as people make them to be. KS cosmetic exclusives are way better, and avoid the "bleeding support" effect you mentioned. Good luck with your campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rudy Seuntjens wrote:
The advantage is that a lot of people pledge soon and help boost your campaign in the first days. We were in the top 10 of most popular projects in the first days. And that turned out to be very essential to make it succesful

I clearly understand this argument, and though I don't like early birds, I must admit I have been affected by it. But it does seem like the non-early birds are paying too much, because they could have gotten it cheaper if they got there earlier. I know this isn't really true, but it still feels like it.
And I don't think free add-ons that others can purchase is a lot different: you are still giving the early birds a discount, so normal backers still feel they could have gotten the 'complete game' for a lower price.
The only thing I can imagine working, is a personal non-game perk for early birds. A small piece of art, or a handwritten thank you note, or a shout-out somewhere. Something that doesn't translate into money, but does make people feel special? I don't know if it will work as well as discounts though ...

Rudy Seuntjens wrote:

I didn't think of this, but it does make sense. Early bird backers jump in without giving it much thought, knowing that they can reconsider later. I do wonder that, if you do go for a non-monetary reward, might the drop-out rate also be lower?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Early Bird discounts are often a reward for previous backers of that publisher and/or those who subscribe to the publishers newsletter/website/updates/etc. by announcing the start of the Kickstarter through the newsletter, those potential backers get a little jump on the masses and are rewarded for loyalty to the publisher. It's a symbiosis - the publisher gets fans to subscribe to a newsletter (et al) i.e. who they can then market to, and the potential customers aka fans, get a discount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geki wrote:
To be fair, I am not the most assiduous kickstarter backer, so it is possible that I would not have backed anyhow (I would say 75% chance of backing), but the annoyance for being punished for not knowing about the project early enough means I will probably not back this. I never understood this attitude. I had to scroll trough many no longer available rewards just to get to the "now you can pay more than these other people" option.

To make this post a constructive one instead of just a venting opportunity, though, I am curious of whether there are any kickstarter exclusives I will be missing out on if I simply wait for the project to be completed with the money of those who received a discount and simply buy this at retail later.

Funnily, there were EB-like pledges for Crisis and I couldn't see anyone complaining about it - because the KS is almost the only way to get the game for a while (1750 copies - that's it).

Their price structure was that you could get the same game version for either $49, $54, $59, or $64, depending when you backed the campaign.
I'm still buffled nobody complained, but it worked and they got over $100k.

I'm not an EB fan, but to complain about a €5 discount is really going too far. It is like complaining that somebody got a game cheaper on a sale that you missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeloW06 wrote:

I'm not an EB fan, but to complain about a €5 discount is really going too far. It is like complaining that somebody got a game cheaper on a sale that you missed.

I agree it's a small amount and generally don't think it's worth complaining about - just walking away and not backing the game is a lot easier. Though think it is worthwhile discussing the consequences of early bird kickstarters.

Typically when I look over a kickstarter project, I'm more looking for a reason not to back it, so that I can quickly move on to check out another project. I only have limited money to spend on kickstarters so I'm pretty ruthless in my approach to narrowing down my short list of projects I might back, and if I'm unsure about a game then a small thing that annoys me like early bird will see it cut.

When I see a project has an early bird, I feel more pressured to make a snap decision to back it, rather than taking a month (or whatever the funding period is) to mull it over. Obviously this sales tactic works, otherwise shops wouldn't have sales all the time, but personally I dislike being pressured to make a decision on the spot, and will feel more negatively about the project. Okay, I can just provisionally back at the early bird rate, and decide later whether or not I want to pull out, so this drawback is mitigated for the backer.

The other issue with early bird kickstarters for me is that I prefer knowing key information (price, shipping, EU-friendly) before looking at the game itself. With early bird, this involves scrolling down, reading a bunch of funding levels, to work out what the price is. How easy a kickstarter project page is to read isn't something I'm going to complain about. But the harder I have to work to figure out details about the project, the more negatively I'm going to feel about it, and it is less likely to make my shortlist of games I'll consider backing.

And as mentioned above, missing out on the early bird offer makes the game feel more expensive than if there was a single price. Okay, it is kind of like a sale which is fair enough, but I don't tend to buy a game immediately after a sale for the game is ended, I'll just wait for it to be discounted again, so the analogy only works so far. From a kickstarter perspective, again it's a small thing that leaves me feeling negatively about a project.

So whilst I don't think having early bird pledges is a massive problem, it leaves me feeling less positively about a project which sometimes is enough to tip me from backing to not backing. If it was something like a piece of art,or list of early backers printed in the rulebook or something that didn't affect gameplay, then I wouldn't be bothered so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a fan of early bird campaigns...

But it isn't the end of the world for me.

I backed the game as it is unlikely that I will be able to get the game easily through retail anytime soon.

I backed it "because I like the game concept" not because I got "5 Euros" off.

meeplemeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.