Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can check out my geek list here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/purge-reviews-recor...?

Conclusion:

Nantucket is a 2 player version of New Bedford, even though New Bedford plays two player pretty well. I am not sure why this game was even needed. It is more portable than its big brother. It has that going for it. I have no idea why this game was even made or conceived.

The game is a worker placement, but it also includes quite a bit of luck in the NEW coin flipping mechanic. I am not sure this meshes well together. In New Bedford, you pull tiles from a bag and you get a choice of what comes out. There is some risk you will get nothing, but it isn't a big risk (yes, I've seen it happen...to me...one entire game!). A coin flip just feels more random (even if it is isn't).

At the end of the day, the game doesn't give you anything new and the coin flipping isn't interesting at all. This is a complete miss for me, even though I'm a fan of worker placement.

If you want a portable 2 player game, this might fit the bill for you.

Components:

The components are a little on the cheap side. You get a couple sheets that are the buildings and you get a couple extra for some variety. The coins are okay. It is a little confusing to know which side is which when you flip them. I think this was a Kickstarter add on; the components are okay but not great.

Rule Book:

The rule book is short and concise. The rules are pretty simple and straightforward. If you have played New Bedford then you won't have any problems.

Flow of the Game:

The game is a rather simple premise. At its heart, it is a worker placement game where you get to flip coins as your reward. Let me explain. You will place a single worker to activate a building. There are three buildings that anyone can use, even both players on the same turn. As the game progresses, you will buy additional buildings which can be used by either player but only one player per team (you get a benefit if someone uses your building).

As you use buildings you will obtain victory points but mostly coins. These coins represent ships that you will send on expeditions to catch and kill whales. As your coins (ships) go on these expeditions you will flip the coins you sent which will allow you to get more coins (whales). After flipping coins, one of your coins go back to your pile and thus next round your "ship" will have one less coin to flip.

Should I buy this game?:

I cannot see why someone would buy this game when you get New Bedford which plays two players pretty good. The new mechanic is just a coin flip, which isn't that fun. I would recommend this to someone looking for a portable version of New Bedford that only plays two player. Otherwise, avoid.

Purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Odd that you assume that people who want to play this own New Bedford, or that the niches for these two games overlap. I don't own New Bedford and have no plans to buy it. I bought Nantucket because I wanted a quick playing, compact 2p WP game for when my wife and I travel, go out to eat or just aren't in the mood for a bigger game. I think it works pretty well for that purpose and I appreciate that the designer went to the effort of publishing such a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
Odd that you assume that people who want to play this own New Bedford, or that the niches for these two games overlap. I don't own New Bedford and have no plans to buy it. I bought Nantucket because I wanted a quick playing, compact 2p WP game for when my wife and I travel, go out to eat or just aren't in the mood for a bigger game. I think it works pretty well for that purpose and I appreciate that the designer went to the effort of publishing such a game.

Yeah, I think that is fair. I think it came from a place of ignorance. I thought this was a Kick starter exclusive. For a micro game, Yes, this would be a def purchase. Wish I had said that in the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
Yeah, I think that is fair. I think it came from a place of ignorance. I thought this was a Kick starter exclusive. For a micro game, Yes, this would be a def purchase. Wish I had said that in the review.

Hm... so to be clear you think it stands on it's own well, but compared directly to New Bedford, there's no reason to own both?

Was there any merit to the gameplay or it just felt like a stripped down, and more luck-based version of New Bedford?

I don't know much about either of these games, but I grew up "next door" to Nantucket, so it's appealing to me a bit on nostalgia, hehe. Though I also lived in New Bedford for a year... so maybe I should aim my nostalgia that way, I just don't remember that place being as pretty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a quick, mirco game it holds water. If I had a choice to play this or New Bedford, I would pick New Bedford. Essentially, they are the same game. This one has the "flip coins" mechanic, which I don't like. The other has tiles pulled from a bag.

This game should be judged on what it is: a micro game. For that, it is a good game. To me, it is more luck based.

If you have a connection to the area, then get it. I've done it before. I am certain this game is very cheap to buy.

TyDeL wrote:
william4192 wrote:

Hm... so to be clear you think it stands on it's own well, but compared directly to New Bedford, there's no reason to own both?

Was there any merit to the gameplay or it just felt like a stripped down, and more luck-based version of New Bedford?

I don't know much about either of these games, but I grew up "next door" to Nantucket, so it's appealing to me a bit on nostalgia, hehe. Though I also lived in New Bedford for a year... so maybe I should aim my nostalgia that way, I just don't remember that place being as pretty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M.
United States
College Park,
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick search indicates that New Bedford retails for $40 and Nantucket retails for $10. That can be a big deal to a lot of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.