$35.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Buy now or wait until 2nd Edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew
United States
flag msg tools
Per Aspera ad Astra
badge
In Hoc Signo Vinces
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I am on the edge of ordering this game...

Besides the miniscule "take that" element, the only thing I read about the game I may not like is it sounds like the pieces may be a little cheaply made and the issue with the game board pieces sliding.

What do you guys think who have it? Is it worth a plunge now or wait a while for a 2nd edition with improvements? That could be a while though...

From what I've read, this Euro style game is totally up my alley 100% and I will buy it one way or another. The only thing is I'm just a little on the fence in terms of quality.

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon Kruis
Netherlands
Pijnacker
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The issues are there, but imho they aren't that bad you cannot play the game and enjoy it.

Also there are a lot of DIY solutions going around which seem fine enough.

Not sure if there will be second edition so soon, is this confirmed somewhere?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no guarantee that even IF a 2nd edition is made, that the components will upgrade.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Derr
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Get off my Avatar NERD!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it's worth it to just take the plunge.

The cards are decent quality, the board is decent quality, the coated cubes are awesome, the board is decent quality and the tiles are good quality. The only component that's questionable is the player mat.

If you're worried about the player mat you could always just glue it to some foam board.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Pilot
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally have no problem with the components. The cubes are fine, the cardstock is ok and the main board (along with terrain tiles) is good. So nothing spectacular, but very serviceable. The only component problem I see is with the very thin player board. While, they don't look sturdy, they serve their purpose and making them thicker wouldn't change much once the game starts.

The main problem I have is with the cubes sliding when someone (else! of course) hits the table with their knee. We ran into this problem a few times, but could always recover. And honestly, I don't expect them to fix it in a second edition (with indentation a la Scythe perhaps). As el_crosso pointed out, their are home-made solutions to fix this.

Therefore, given the enjoyment I am getting from playing it, I personally wouldn't wait, but I have obviously biased as I bought the game and am enjoying it...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
There is no guarantee that even IF a 2nd edition is made, that the components will upgrade.


I think there has been confirmation of a second edition.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1650785/next-availablit...


The rules are being updated, not components though (apparently).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I think 42 people will have 42 ideas how to Fryx the boards. I think they are fine. The cards are excellent stock, just not linen finished, so they feel like high quality ccg cards. Don't wait - if the player boards really bug you, go with the aftermarket solution of your preference, pegboard, mousepad, acrylic overlay, etc.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Buy it now, so long as you can find it for retail price or less. If you don't own dice, buy some d6's,d8's,d10's and d12's to track income with makes the game so much easier. You can use nothing but d6's but other polyhedral dice make it more fun, double bonus points if you have dice that match the 5 player colors.

The designers didn't want to add cost, so even later editions won't fix the sliding income cube problem, hence the dice. Or you can purchase expensive overlays or make your own if you have access to a laser cutter or 3-d printer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Murphy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I heard of the reprint the components will stay the same (which serve their purpose). The rules are being revised but no changes just clarified a few things that people make mistakes with. For me there were very few issues the rules didn't make clear (and they were special circumstances).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jacob on improving the inserts prone to tearing:
"We are very sorry that these factors combined to damage most inserts. This will be corrected for the next printing [...] At least, we are relieved that this damage was only to the insert and not to any actual game component."

Jacob on single squeezed cards:
"Yes, this is a known issue (that most people don't notice) [...] Only the top card of each stack is affected, and one of those is the blank card. This issue will be corrected in the next printrun, but is not due to poor quality of the cards. The cards are thin but of high quality."

Enoch on no general upgrades / deluxe editions planned:
"We are now reprinting the game with much thicker paper for the insert, but apart from that - no changes to the components. This is the decision of the co-publishers [...]
For now we leave the market for improved player boards to others. [...] The player boards and shiny cubes turned out to be more slippery and fiddly than we anticipated, but the options we have is too costly."


HTH
15 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The components are objectively sub-par all around. But the game itself is magical and wonderful. Don't hesitate to buy the game. I'm going to be replacing a lot of the bits with better stuff, because the game is really really great.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snapshot wrote:


I think, for those of us who might care (as not everyone will, I know): this was the first domestically produced board game from Stronghold, made in Lafayette, Indiana. So, hooray for American Manufacturing Jobs! (Although the plant is owned by a German company ). So, yeah, the components could be a little sturdier, and probably would be if manufactured by the standard places in China, but I'm willing to accept this trade off.

/don't wanna get political, just thought it was worth noting.
//also, it's a really good game!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The components are fine. Buy now. Period. End of story.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I have seen FAR worse components in a game. Mars isn't even the least of the worst. Component quality in Mars is fine.

You want bad components? Look at Terra Prime.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Gischer
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have played several games of this. I've seen better quality - super thick cards, etc. But component quality has had no impact on the enjoyment of the game by me or any of my opponents.

I say go for it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Green
United States
West Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jefimeyerhoff wrote:


I think, for those of us who might care (as not everyone will, I know): this was the first domestically produced board game from Stronghold, made in Lafayette, Indiana. So, hooray for American Manufacturing Jobs! (Although the plant is owned by a German company ). So, yeah, the components could be a little sturdier, and probably would be if manufactured by the standard places in China, but I'm willing to accept this trade off.

/don't wanna get political, just thought it was worth noting.
//also, it's a really good game!


For those of us in the States, this will also mean a much quicker turnaround in getting that next print run out. Some of us are ashamed to have overlooked this game at GenCon and as it was releasing... blush
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
jefimeyerhoff wrote:
Snapshot wrote:


I think, for those of us who might care (as not everyone will, I know): this was the first domestically produced board game from Stronghold, made in Lafayette, Indiana. So, hooray for American Manufacturing Jobs! (Although the plant is owned by a German company ). So, yeah, the components could be a little sturdier, and probably would be if manufactured by the standard places in China, but I'm willing to accept this trade off.

/don't wanna get political, just thought it was worth noting.
//also, it's a really good game!


USA, China who cares.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
It's really fun and the components don't bother me in the slightest. The annoyance factor of cubes sliding around affects people differently, but it hasn't been much of an issue for me. My clumsy oaf of a boyfriend knocks his frequently but you usually have a good idea of what your income was and where all your $%#$ cubes are supposed to be.

No idea what they went through in shipping but my insert was torn to shreds. Pretty useless insert that was tossed immediately anyway, so again, not a big deal unless it's important to you.

Great game! Play it ASAP if you decide not to buy it immediately. The "take that" aspect of most cards is completely optional, so don't let that keep you away either.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
The components are objectively sub-par all around. But the game itself is magical and wonderful.

I strongly disagree about the components being sub-par all around. In my copy:

thumbsup The cards are plenty thick
thumbsup The board is perfectly fine
thumbsup The tokens are perfectly fine
thumbsup The translucent cubes are standard
thumbsup The metallic cubes are fine
thumbsup Plenty of ziploc bags for all the components
thumbsupthumbsdown The player boards can be easily improved
thumbsdown The insert got ripped a little (I don't care!)

I was planning to replace the metallic cubes with real metal ones from the BGG store but I prefer to use the ones that came with the game. I bought overlays from Board Game Boost and I'm very happy with them. You could also use Dry Erase Pockets. I suggest you get the game and try it as-is first. I enjoy customizing my games even when it is not required.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
The components are objectively sub-par all around.


Can you explain which components you are talking about?
- The cards are of the same quality as in many other games (Re: Does anyone sleeve the cards?)

- The hextiles are of great quality and I don't know what problem you could have with it

- The playercubes are the same quality the glassstones in space alert - I never heard any compains about that

- the metalcubes are plastic (real metalcubes could possibly increase the cost of the game by 50$) but I see no qualityproblems here

(I will not talk about the playerboards - they really could be of higher quality)

So where exactly are the 'all around sub-par components'?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
jmathias wrote:
The components are objectively sub-par all around.


Can you explain which components you are talking about?
- The cards are of the same quality as in many other games (Re: Does anyone sleeve the cards?)

- The hextiles are of great quality and I don't know what problem you could have with it

- The playercubes are the same quality the glassstones in space alert - I never heard any compains about that

- the metalcubes are plastic (real metalcubes could possibly increase the cost of the game by 50$) but I see no qualityproblems here

(I will not talk about the playerboards - they really could be of higher quality)

So where exactly are the 'all around sub-par components'?


Sure. Please keep in mind I've played, and owned a lot of games by a lot of different publishers, I'm not taking about a small sample size of component experiences.

1.) The cards are black bordered, and chipping on the back edges prior to my first play, they need sleeves to not become marked cards. The thickness is fine, but it's not the only factor that weighs into quality. The art is OK, but should have been real art instead of stock photography. The graphic design on the cards is very inconsistent, making it hard to explain the cards generally. Additionally the cards all have cut burns on the edges and corners, which makes them appear used fresh out of the package.

2.) The player boards are very thin, easily bent and dinged, square cornered, even more potential for dings and damage. They are slick and require something to prevent them from sliding. The cubes don't stay put.

3.) The cubes. All of the cubes are poorly molded. I've seen plastic cubes without flash in a ton of a games, and every cube in this game has flash. There are a lot of mis-colored, and warped cubes as well.

4.) The board, its functional, but it's already peeling after one play.

5.) The hexes are thick enough, but the print and cut on them is causing back face chipping on all 5 corners, which means every single greenery tile in the game has unsightly white corners. This is true of every card board piece.

All of these things may be subjective in how much they bother an individual, but they are objectively sub-par when compared to other games of the same price point and genre.

This is not a cheap game, but it's bits and bobs make it feel cheap. But, again as I said, the game play is wonderful, so this is one of those times I'm willing to overlook the poor quality.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds nothing like my copy, neither has the board or the tiles shown any signs of white marks. The cards has been great. Different graphic types on the cards can't be blamed on the physical card quality. The design of the cards is consistent, it's just the base image that are of different sources, I can't understand how the base image can make them hard to explain as the three different kinds of cards have consistent graphic elements showing the meaning of the card.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
Sounds nothing like my copy, neither has the board or the tiles shown any signs of white marks. The cards has been great. Different graphic types on the cards can't be blamed on the physical card quality. The design of the cards is consistent, it's just the base image that are of different sources, I can't understand how the base image can make them hard to explain as the three different kinds of cards have consistent graphic elements showing the meaning of the card.


Awesome, sounds like you got lucky!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
Awesome, sounds like you got lucky!


Or it's you that was unlucky, as so many others never complained on the board or the tiles...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
jmathias wrote:
Awesome, sounds like you got lucky!


Or it's you that was unlucky, as so many others never complained on the board or the tiles...


Maybe. However, the lack of complaints doesn't mean that it's not happening, or untrue. As I said in my original post "All of these things may be subjective in how much they bother an individual, but they are objectively sub-par when compared to other games of the same price point and genre." which remains true regardless of the quantity of complaints.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
flag msg tools
Per Aspera ad Astra
badge
In Hoc Signo Vinces
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that settles it then. I preordered it with a load of other games. Thanks everyone for the replies!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.