Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Silver
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quoridor is a fun little abstract strategy game for 2 - 4 players. Game play lasts for about 10 - 20 minutes, and if you read on, you'll find out what the game is about.

How does it look?

Simple, yet good. Gigamic is known for their wooden games, and despite the basic forms, they always look good. Games you want to put on your coffee table, in other words.

Several versions are available: deluxe, normal, a travel version, and I once saw a children's version as well. That one had the setting of crabs crossing a beach, with parasols and stuff as walls.

The normal version looks great, as does the deluxe version, of course. The travel version is nice enough for a pocket game, although the little walls sometimes have trouble fitting in the slits.

The gameplay

The object of the game is very simple: just get your pawn across the board, to the opposite side. First one to do that, wins.

Everyone receives an even amount of the 20 walls available. In other words: 10 each in a 2- player game, for example.
Each turn, a player gets the option of either moving his pawn a space, or putting down a wall. The wall must always block 2 spaces, exactly.

So, you can either hinder your opponent to reach the other side, or use your own walls to help you. In any case, you must always leave your opponent at least one route to reach the other side. So: "boxing" someone in is not allowed.

That's all the rules! It couldn't be simpler, but it can be really exciting. You can make your opponent almost reach the other side, then block him off so he must make a huge detour, or you can put a wall just behind you, so you have no choice but to go forward and win.
In a game with 4 players, it gets really chaotic. Focus too much on one player, and another wins with relative ease.

So, in short:

Quoridor is a really enjoyable game, and it is highly addictive as well. It's fast, you can teach it to virtually everyone, and it's great fun. Since it doesn't take too long to play, 3 games in a row is no exception here.

Certainly a great game to own, and a great game to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple rules yet a deep thinking/brain burning strategy game. Maybe in 20 years there might be a computer A.I. strong enough to beat a human...then again perhaps not. Nice review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review! I like the reviews I can read quickly to get a feel for the game right away.

I've dismissed this game in the past, thinking that it's just another twixt (which I don't find all that fun). But based on your review I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for a chance to play.

One Question: How does this play with three people? It seems, based on a square board, that the middle man would have an advantage (or disadvantage) compared to the other two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Silver
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three people may sound a bit awkward, but it can be done. Ok, you each get only 6 walls (and 2 walls will never be used like that).
But somewhere in the middle, everything starts colliding and all three people will have a hard time getting there.

Still, you have a point: 2 or 4 people definitely is the most fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.