Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Here's what my English Rio Grande version of the rules says:-

"The starting player chooses one of his cards, executes its action and discards it face up on the the discard stack. Then, the player to his left does the same and so on around the table until each player has only one or no cards left. The player with exactly one card left may choose to pass his turn by turning the card face down (to show it is saved) this saving the card for the next round."

A strict reading of this means that assuming nobody has four cards, by saving a card from a previous round, everyone will get two actions. As soon as the last player plays their second card then everyone will have one card left and the round stops. Is this correct?

The quick references in the file sections do not agree and if it was correct then it would be quite difficult for anyone to save a card. The only way would be for someone to play an advisor with their first action and then when they have one card and at least one other person has two they can then save this card.

My guess is that the rule is wrong as written, or I am misreading it somehow, but I am not sure what it should be. If everyone gets to use up all the cards in their hand (by either using, discarding or saving them) then the rule could be written far more simply ("The round continues until all players have run out of cards in their hand").

How do people interpret the rule I quoted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
You are misinterpreting it, and I really have trouble seeing how you are getting there.

The round continues until everyone is individually out of cards, or has passed, saving one card for later. Some players may well take more turns than other players, by choice, or by forced discard.

Sometimes you get only two plays in a round, sometimes four.

Note that these rules were very likely translated by Jay from Rio Grande, who, despite his many contributions to our hobby, is not particularly known for providing concise, well-crafted rules translations, especially early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.