Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Zagieboylo
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I happened to be conducting a survey of FLGSs around my new apartment in Austin, and wandered into Outlaw Moon Games just as a demo was getting started. Figuring I had nothing better to do with my Saturday afternoon, I sat down and joined in. And I'm glad I did, because this game is a riot.

I'd done a fair bit of reading here on the forum, so I knew basically what was going on and could get right into play (the demo leader had been explaining it to the other player when I showed up). We played 2P, beginner corporations. We mostly just focused on playing cards and building up our economies for the first, oh, 2/3 of the game. My opponent Bob ended up going heavily into mining and played the Steelworks fairly early, giving him an absurd amount of steel all the time to play super-cheap building cards. I started with a plants-based strategy but ended up shifting into space as I simply couldn't draw cards that supported it.

Bob's constant abuse of Steelworks brought his TR up quite fast, and quickly maxed out the Oxygen track, taking him to a solid mid-game lead. I retaliated with God's Own Artillery, smashing several (special project) asteroids as well as Deimos itself into the poor Red Planet. (Personal favorite flavor text: "We weren't using that moon anyway.") Additionally, my space-based economy plus a quick Borehole/Insulation combo ended up bringing me to 22MC on the player mat plus the very cheap and lucrative Martian Rails, which sent my economy through the roof despite falling behind slightly on TR. (Special note: the Martian Rails do NOT provide money for the Ganymede or Phobos colonies. It says this on the card, but I didn't notice the first time. Perhaps this could use some more specific explanation text.)

As the game was drawing to a close, we had full oxygen (of course) and all oceans with the heat level still around -10. This was really the only time we saw any significant use of the standard projects, as Bob slammed some standard Asteroids into the planet in hopes of claiming TR and ending the game faster. But to no avail: I finally got the one Animal card I needed to play Advanced Ecosystem, and then quickly ended the game with the 4 heat in special projects I'd been sitting on (and my stockpile of 80-90 MC, since my income at that point was around 65). Final scores were still 107 to ~100ish, which was quite close considering all the end-game scoring!

Definitely a worthy game, I'll probably be picking up a copy next time I hit the store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.