Subject: Cycles of Eternity taking an eternity - No Spoilers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kasey HR
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Hey everyone,

So I was super excited to play this since purchasing it a couple weeks ago and finally managed to get it to the table last night. We started playing the intro scenario "Cycles of Eternity" at 9pm, given that it states it should last about 60-90 minutes.

Well... Our game lasted until 3am, with all the players simply giving up at that point. I was pretty certain we had lost at about hour-5. Has this been a problem for anyone else? Its almost as if the game was too slow killing us when we should have already lost.

We got to the end of the scenario without taking much damage at all... But even so, it took us about 4 hours to get there.

Now, Ill admit, we played a couple rules wrong. First and foremost, we didnt realize the difference between the way the damage and horror was being described in the app (when it says "take horror" it means take FACEUP horror, because it specifies when it says "take facedown horror". But besides this, the only incorrect thing we did, I believe, was strategic (i.e., not focusing our time on the scenario objective).

Last night, I was rather displeased, mostly because I hate it when I tell people a game will last a certain amount of time and then it goes way over and they eventually quit mid-game. Its just not a pleasant experience.

I can now see that there were a number of things which slowed us down (not towards winning necesarily, but just towards there being a determinate conclusion win or lose)... Predominantly the damage/horror rule mistake, and my groups sort of "spread out and do everything" strategy. Still.... 6 hours???

Im just curious if this has happened to anyone else with the first scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First play took us 4 hours, including explanations and rule referencing. All subsequent plays have been significantly shorter (but nothing close to 60 minutes, though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivelin Belchev
Bulgaria
Ruse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, ours too took over 5h...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
2 player game with explanation of rules, around 2 hours.

When I play new players that we cannot search each token and probably shouldn't visit every room.

Also readind flavour tex during combat encounters, horror and evade checks can slow game down. Usually I just abreviate that, unless it is really nasty.

Last thing. In our games only 1 person can see and use the app. So rest of team is focused on actual playing and planning moves ahead. If everyone stares at ghe app from the other side of the table it can bog ghe game down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our 1st games a few days ago with 4 I investigators. Took us about 3 hours. Ended up fudging the last round or two to finish up. We focused on following clues more than exploration. We all liked this edition far more than 1st edition, but it did take a while to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
Played it twice, with a full table it's an over 3 hour scenario. Which is really unfortunate because it didn't seem to me like enough happens in the scenario to warrant spending that much time.

I haven't even been willing to try the other scenarios under the theory that they will drag on even longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
5th May 2018
badge
Guh?
mbmbmbmbmb
As a solo player using 2 investigators it took me just under 2 hours the first time but I had the rules wrong (only 1 space movements, not 2) which really delayed the game. Second time I completed it in just over an hour.

Solo play with 2 investigators I am finding the lower end to be correct for me although there is no player interaction or reading aloud to slow things down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duckee o'seven
msg tools
For those thinking the game takes too long, you can play with 3 AP instead of 2. This speeds the game up but at the cost of making the game a bit easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of rules I've seen people get wrong that slow down the game:

- Performing a single Move action gives you 2 movement points to spend (not 1).

- You can split your movement up either side of taking another action (i.e, you are not forced to perform all of your movement before or after taking an action).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasey HR
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
OP here-

Good to know we were not alone. We played a full 5 players, and I really think 2 things contributed to our long playtime now...

The first is getting damage wrong. I think, had we done that correctly, we would have lost much sooner.

The second thing is that we put the app up on a big tv where everyone could see, and I definitely think we focused too much on it as a group. Perhaps next time Oll run it privately on my phone to make sure everyones attention is on the board. That way I can also speed up some of the flavor text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Mesas
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
When I start to play a new game, it usually takes to me and my friends x2.5 the time that it usually takes when you already know the rules and the game flow...

anyways my first game on the first scenario was about 3 hours (and I did wrong the option to do an action in in mid of movement) when I played the second scenario it took 2h to be kill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
The first time took us 3,5 hours with rules explanation and as i see it we had 2 reasons that it took that much time. (Every time since its taken 90-120 minutes.)

1. We showed the screen so everyone could read everything. This certainly was a bad idea, and later playthroughs i have just read things aloud, and then whoever solves a puzzle borrows the laptop at that point.

2. We made the mistake of making an individual horror check for each investigator which with 5 people will slow that step down significantly.

The step you had with investigating everything, we did as well but i have done that in later playthroughs as well so does not matter as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Evans
Australia
flag msg tools
Took us 2 hours with 5 players on the second play through.

Note, we did not read any of the combat test descriptions out loud - they get dull and it seems to add a huge amount of time to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played the scenario a few times, and found it to be really quick when you have 1 - 3 players.

Solo Rule/App Learning Session: 2 hours
Solo: 1 hour - 1 hour 15
Two Players: 1 hour 15 - 1 hour 30
Three Players: 1 hour 30

I read everything related to descriptions and other checks out loud to save other players the hassle of taking control of the app on their turn. The physical board itself has all tokens/monster chits on it anyway so playing a co-op ally dungeon master type cuts the time down significantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.