Subject: Promo pack keywords rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there an informational sheet or something with the promo packs that I missed. What do the keywords in some of the pack mean? For example, in the Mage Wars set they all have "Spellbook-Play:" What does that mean? How is that different than a normal Play action? We assumed it was like Mage Wars where you could play it from your binder instead of your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No keyword means anything, from the game or the promo packs. The cards all say what they do. Spellbook--play is just a play effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In others words it is just a normal Play action, just has a fancy name to match the theme of the set, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirpoonga wrote:
In others words it is just a normal Play action, just has a fancy name to match the theme of the set, correct?

Correct. That tripped me up at first. For example a Thwomp-Play is just a "Play" card with a specific type matching the text that follows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirpoonga wrote:

In a parody game, parodies of the keyword addiction/overload from collectible card games that have been there for over 20 years now are to be expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a parody of keyword overload. It's actually the exact same as a concept used in Magic-- the ability word. In fact, ability words were created specifically as a way to allow fun new mechanics to be created (and recognized) without introducing new keywords.

Just like in MB, ability words in Magic don't actually mean anything. The full mechanics for the ability are printed on the card itself. The ability word just serves as a way of thematically grouping similar abilities, as well as a way to give players a common language for discussing cards.

So Auriok Sunchaser says

Auriok Sunchaser wrote:
Metalcraft — As long as you control three or more artifacts, Auriok Sunchaser gets +2/+2 and has flying.

But if you were talking about it with someone you might say it's a 1/1 that becomes a 3/3 flyer with metalcraft.

It also opens up the design space of having cards that care about the ability word, which would not otherwise be possible without using a keyword. I'm not sure off the top of my head if either MB or Magic take advantage of that, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Just like in MB, ability words in Magic don't actually mean anything.

Sort of. They don't have to put the text there. They do on the set the keyword was introduced. For example, Magic now has Vigilance, Lifelink, and Deathtouch as keywords on cards without text describing what they mean. I got out of Magic when they started keywording everything. While Lifelink and Deathtouch keywords came from the enchantments with the same name, thus easier to remember for a little bit, it eventually became too much for me to remember I and dropped out of the game. Plus it disabled the old cards that were able to change color words on the cards since those words were now hidden behind a keyword.

There are variants of the keywords also, which usually mean the same thing but slightly different. I was curious if the SpellBook-Play keyword was like this. It seemed thematic to play it from the binder instead of from hand so we played it that way. I was sure it was just a normal play but without a rule book verifying it we decided to play it that way because it was fun and thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiran Kin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirpoonga wrote:
we decided to play it that way because it was fun and thematic.

You played it correctly, then, regardless of supporting or contrary rulings. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sirpoonga wrote:
Asmor wrote:
Just like in MB, ability words in Magic don't actually mean anything.

Sort of. They don't have to put the text there. They do on the set the keyword was introduced.

I was talking about ability words, not keywords. See the link I included in my previous post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tirankin wrote:
sirpoonga wrote:

Actually no, not with what everyone is saying. We played from the binder, not from hand. So it was essentially like having an extra card in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sirpoonga wrote:
tirankin wrote:
sirpoonga wrote:

Actually no, not with what everyone is saying. We played from the binder, not from hand. So it was essentially like having an extra card in hand.

He was saying that as long as everyone had fun, you played it correctly.

It's a controversial opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, yeah. As long as everyone enjoyed it that's all that matters. Anyways, thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pace
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
sirpoonga wrote:
tirankin wrote:
sirpoonga wrote:

He was saying that as long as everyone had fun, you played it correctly.

It's a controversial opinion

"A controversial opinion" lmao!!! It's unfortunate that this may be the most accurate statement I've read all day!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.