$15.00
$20.00
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still trying to figure out my preferences. I think I lean towards exploring the depth but due to game group preferences i haven't really had the opportunity. We end up playing a wide variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit of both, which is why I like short games. Probably more towards exploring a few games in depth but I always want to try new games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that I only scratch the surface to find the few that I want to explore more in-depth. I guess that means a bit of both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Few games are worth exploring the depths....being the fact that for most games...there is absolutely nothing below the surface...and you start to realize how many games there are that surface scratch the exact same way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Velleman
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iridium192 wrote:
I'd say that I only scratch the surface to find the few that I want to explore more in-depth. I guess that means a bit of both?

For me also a bit of both: one thing I'm absolutely, totally enthusiastic with the hobby is how creative and diverse it is. Ideas, ideas, variety, variations, CREATIVITY. But when you start to go deeper, it does seems (to me) that it becomes more a "variation on the same theme" than really wide, deeply implemented variety. So it becomes a game (ha!) of trying a lot of different things that will, eventually, bring you to start focussing on those that really make you tick. But trying new things is always appealing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1650227/going-deep-or-going...

This discussion ongoing, for your reference purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Richard Tuft
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdrog2 wrote:
Few games are worth exploring the depths....being the fact that for most games...there is absolutely nothing below the surface...and you start to realize how many games there are that surface scratch the exact same way...

I picture you emerging from the hatch of your deep sea exploration sub, returning from your latest amazing adventure, to the applause of countless onlookers and reporters.
"What is down there?!" someone shouts as you approach, and you respond with an overbearing smile. Magnesium flashbulbs explode atop heavy cameras as you get in range, pens held ready to dance across their pads at your every utterance. "The thing about most oceans..." you begin, before pausing to light your pipe, "is that once you get below the surface..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a bit of both for everyone. We play a bunch of games to try to find those worth delving into. I have gone all in on games that I didn't thoroughly play the game first, such as Imperial Assault, with intentions of doing so (once they're all painted and I'm not done!).

There are a lot of new games though and on game nights someone usually has some new acquisition they're hot to try and I'm usually willing to oblige them. Sometimes (often?) those games are never seen again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
More than 2,500 games played of Up Front since 1983. Collection of more than 1,000 owned (350+ just seven years ago) now down to about 80.

Depth.

I loves the games I loves (though will try anything once).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to play fewer games more often.

My opinion is a minority in all the groups I play with.

I play a lot more new games than replays of great games I am familiar with than I prefer.

I would love it if I could play in a group of 3-4 others that only played 10 titles for like 6 months.

Alas I have not found them yet.

Each new game I fall for just adds to the dilemma.

Just played Argent: The Consortium last night.

I would like to play that 10 more times this month but it will be more like once or twice more in 6 months to a year.

They are mates, what can I do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in between, I usually explore the surface. Sometimes, if the mood is right, I scratch the depths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Iridium192 wrote:

Exactly my thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
msg tools
mbmb
Isn't this just the exact same thread that the OP just replied to?

I prefer going deep, until we reach the end of the line and need a new game. However, I usually pick up a few games at that point, and then we can play through those until we reach the ends again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/23925078#23925078

ackmondual wrote:
It depends. With party games and games I end up not really liking, once is enough. With games that I generally prefer, like euros, co-ops, and DBG... many times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akado wrote:
Isn't this just the exact same thread that the OP just replied to?

Yes. Unfortunately I only discovered it after someone pointed it out in this thread. Sorry for the duplication.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'm a dilettante, and always enjoy exploring new systems. I go much more for variety; I'm much more likely to choose a game I've never played over a game I may know and love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Both, it depends on what game we are playing. My brothers and I go deep with games like 7 Wonders and Risk but we only dabbled a little bit with the game Diplomacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Percival
Australia
Bendigo
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I would prefer to play a small number of games more frequently, it is impractical. Most people I play with, when faced with a game they have already learned to play or a game they have never seen before will choose to play the latter. This means I am mostly playing mediocre games one time only (as no one cares to play it a second time) and only occasionally get to play good games a second or third time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Purkiss
msg tools
I prefer to play fewer games that I like more often, although some I play with prefer the opposite (not all fortunately).

I've looked into / played a number of games that ended up do nothing for me (multiplayer solitaire, eurogames in general - although I like a couple based on theme - and social deduction) and have found that there are certain types I get on with (co-ops and games good for 2 players generally), so I tend to stick to those as I currently have around 10+ games to shift as it is.

I find that as I need to like the theme and mechanics, that few games match both of these so I would rather play the limited pool of games I like than sit through games that hold no interest for me (which isn't good for myself or those I would play with).

There are a lot of games out there, but a lot of them do the same thing (sat through a KS print and play of a deduction game last night, which seems the same as the last one I sat through for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Going deep is only rewarding to me if I'm playing with others who are similarly committed. Since I don't have that kind of gaming group, I tend to go wide, with some favorites making repeat appearances over time. Games that I've gone deeper on are those that are playable online asynchronous. I've played over 100 games of Through the Ages, for example, and that has been great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love experiencing new things in general so I definitely lean towards "scratching the surface".

I used to play a lot of video games and I was the exact same way. I did not have a genre of games I played but rather played the best of every genre, and a ton of unique indie games.

I am the same with music, movies, and books.

We are finishing off our unplayed games right now and should be done within a month or two and then we are going to pick a game and play it three times in a row before moving on to the next game. So we are trying to transition into exploring the depths and I find this will help players who take a game or so to grasp all the details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to see if somebody only scratches the surface with Pandemic Legacy or any other Legacy system game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I want to see if somebody only scratches the surface with Pandemic Legacy or any other Legacy system game

I was considering buying another copy and going through it again. That was until I saw season 2 on the horizon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After some 15+ years going deep with Magic The Gathering it is a welcome pleasure to scratch as many different games as possible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Depths.

I like to play the hell out of a game before trying something else. Even then, I'll keep playing it. In this way I'll build up a rotation of around 3to 4 games that see play every week for a good long while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.