Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing like family, friends and games...and music and beer...and pizza and bean dip...and actually having time to play games...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying to download and install the freeware version from Westpark Gamers, and as the title of the thread implies, I'm not having success. I'm running Windows XP.

Basically, my questions are:

Where should I extract the downloaded file to?
Once I have that done, how do I install the English language pack?
Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is really remedial stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what you should do and see:
1) Download the zip file and extract it to a temporary directory
2) Download the English language zip file and extract it to a temporary directory (this step can be done after the main application is installed)
3) Run SETUP.EXE from the main file extraction
4) Follow the dialogs to install the file (the dialogs are in German, but it is similar to other installations). (Note: The game will be installed (by default) into the Program Files directory into a folder called SanktPetersburg )
5) There should be a Karten (Cards) subdirectory and a Lang.ini file in the SanktPetersburg root. Replace the Lang.ini with the Lang.ini from the language file. Replace the numbered cards with the English cards (overwrite existing files). (If the language files contain a Karten directory, you can copy the entire directory.)
6) If everything worked properly, you should be able to run the game (I believe the installation creates a Start menu group and icon, or you can simply run the SPeter01.exe from the SanktPetersburg directory.

Possible Problems:
I encountered a problem running SETUP.EXE on an XP system with an AMD 64 processor (If the program uses a 16-bit installer, I believe this would be a known issue on 64-bit processors). When I double clicked SETUP.EXE, nothing happened. (Note: If you wait a very long time, you might eventually get an error message and/or the actual installation, but this may take 15+ minutes.)

To workaround this problem, I found a 32-bit system (most XP systems are 32-bit, so if you have multiple PCs, older ones shouldn't have the problem I described above). Once the program was installed on the 32-bit system as described above, I copied the SanktPetersburg folder from the Program Files directory into the Program Files directory on the AMD 64 system. This required me to run the SPeter01.exe file directly, but you can also create a Shortcut and copy the Shortcut into your Start menu.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the "zip archive" available on the website doesn't use a setup file. It is simply a zip file of the game folders. Unzip the file anywhere you wish, unzip the english language file into the game's folder, run SPeter01.exe and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing like family, friends and games...and music and beer...and pizza and bean dip...and actually having time to play games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, everything seems to be working now. I downloaded the ZIP arcive, and then extracting the English pack to the main folder, and it looks like I'm in business. Thanks for your help guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.