Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Midianites are not occupying their start land, and haven't split the Northern and Southern kingdoms, if a Heathen conquers a province occupied by a Northern Kingdom unit and a Patriarch, can the Patriarch retreat into a Southern Kingdom province? How about if Midianites DO occupy their start-land; could a Patriarch still retreat from a conquered Northern Kingdom area into a Southern Kingdom area?

Also, rule on page 5 (not counting the cover page) reads " A Hebrew kingdom IS allowed to conquer lands NOT contiguous to its start land." Does this mean they can attack ANYWHERE on the board, as if dropping in from the sky? Or must they still attack FROM an area they already occupy (though perhaps not an area contiguous to its start land) ?

I am not clear as to why the Heathen Midianites "split" the two Hebrew Kingdoms. Geographically, the N. and S. Kingdoms are STILL adjacent if Midianite start land is Heathen Occupied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
rogeracox wrote:
If the Midianites are not occupying their start land, and haven't split the Northern and Southern kingdoms, if a Heathen conquers a province occupied by a Northern Kingdom unit and a Patriarch, can the Patriarch retreat into a Southern Kingdom province? How about if Midianites DO occupy their start-land; could a Patriarch still retreat from a conquered Northern Kingdom area into a Southern Kingdom area?

"A Patriarch may retreat to an adjacent land of the same kingdom," p. 8 (p. 7 in your parlance—not including the cover page). The Northern and Southern Kingdoms are not interchangeable for the purposes of retreats, even if they are adjacent/connected.

Quote:
Also, rule on page 5 (not counting the cover page) reads "A Hebrew kingdom IS allowed to conquer lands NOT contiguous to its start land." Does this mean they can attack ANYWHERE on the board, as if dropping in from the sky? Or must they still attack FROM an area they already occupy (though perhaps not an area contiguous to its start land)?

No, I thought this too at first. What this means is that the Hebrews' lands can undulate and morph over time without respect to their start lands.

Really what the game is trying to accomplish is the fact that many Heathens are represented by only four colors and that so long as an active kingdom does not have its start land occupied, nothing on the map can be considered part of that kingdom. A purple token might be Caananite, Babylonian, or Assyrian. Let's say there is just one purple token left on the board at the time the Assyrians arrive. If the Canaanites occupy the province just north of Egypt, the game is trying to say that the Assyrians (if the Assyrians are newly active) did not and cannot begin attacking from the coast of the Great Sea. That wouldn't make historical sense.

Rather, the Assyrians start in their home province, and must attack contiguously from that home province. IF that home province happens to be contiguous to other purple-controlled provinces during the turn, then the player may presume those provinces are also part of the Assyrian empire for the turn and attack from them.

However, only the Hebrews are yellow and orange, so there is no confusion as to which kingdom is which when their turns come up. Thus, there is no need for the Hebrews to start with control of their start lands so long as they have at least one token on the board.

Quote:
I am not clear as to why the Heathen Midianites "split" the two Hebrew Kingdoms. Geographically, the N. and S. Kingdoms are STILL adjacent if Midianite start land is Heathen Occupied.

You are reading this the way I did the first time, i.e., that the Northern and Southern kingdoms had been split. That's not actually what the rules say. They read:

Promised Land Rules wrote:

If a Hebrew Kingdom is 'split' (e.g. if the Northern tribes have been cut in two by the Midianites), then only one portion may be used to achieve tokens on the Kingdom track.

(Emphases added.) The rules are speaking to a split between the Northern provinces (two sets of disjoint yellow tokens) or a split between the Southern provinces (Two sets of disjoint orange tokens), not a geographical separation between North and South.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome! My pleasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.