Subject: LOS timing and Streams, Fords and Gullies. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Lane
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mb
Just wanting to check my understanding of the rule (4.1.4.1.6) for these terrain types means that there is a clear line of sight to all terrain 2 or more levels above the Stream, Ford or Gully hex (assuming no other blocking terrain of course)?

And are there any restrictions on when you can check los? Perhaps because I've come from playing other games I've assumed so but reading the rules more closely I can't see any restrictions.

Specifically;

a) Can you check it during the movement phase to see if you'll move into the los of enemy units thus avoiding potential fire? (this seems a bit omnipotent)

b) Can you check it to work out modifiers to a shot without any compulsion to take the shot? (I guess so)

c) If you announce a shot and the los is found to be blocked is it treated as not having happened? (I guess so)

As I ask these I think I'm guilty of importing concepts and rules from another game but it still feels a bit new and 'weird' to be to be able to do the above things so was just wanted to confirm.

Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Hmm gee I wonder which game that might be....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Section 4.1.2.1.6, yes that's correct.

1) Yes. Why does that seem strange to you? On a battlefield, units move about carefully, not blindly. They are constantly checking their surroundings. I guess there are games out there that state you can't check LOS, but do you really think that the gamers don't check LOS? Why make rules that can't be applied or enforced?

2) If a unit is marked with a Fire or Short Halt command it is assumed to have fired (see section 4.6.1). If you don't want to physically roll for the shot, so be it. The unit still fired.

3) See 2) above. If you mark a blocked shot, that's your problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lane
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for your response Jim.

In answer to your questions I just felt the ability to check los of a hex to a enemy unit before moving into it a little omnipotent, especially when that enemy unit is hidden and/or non-spotted. I have no axe to grind or particular viewpoint on this that I feel is the 'Right' one and have never been on a battlefield let alone during WW2! but I guess my doubt about this level of knowledge being available to the unit on the ground stems from my assumptions about the imperfections of communication between units and the general 'fog of war' that would exist in real life.

As to applicability of a other los rules, I don't actually check los in 'the other game' once it gets going apart for a rough 'by eye' guessing (even if the game is left physically set up in my house or on a vasl file)......I really don't see the point in cheating like this as it makes the game pointless in my eyes and I have a real confidence that my regular gaming buddies are of the same mindset. They may well not be enforceable but the rules can be applied.

Anyway, my main purpose was/is to understand the rules of this game so I can play the game as intended, and it's a game I enjoy immensely actually, so thanks!

I feel I may have expressed myself badly in asking question 2, what I had intended to ask was more along the lines of "If I say I want to fire tank A at your tank B and when I check the los the modifiers (from smoke, BUs etc) are horrendous could I then say: actually I'd prefer to fire against tank C?"

However, since it seems clear that I can check los against multiple potential targets before announcing which target I'll be firing at then the above becomes a moot point.

Many thanks for your responses, it's really great that players of this game can get feedback to their questions so quickly from the designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Day
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mzen wrote:
I feel I may have expressed myself badly in asking question 2, what I had intended to ask was more along the lines of "If I say I want to fire tank A at your tank B and when I check the los the modifiers (from smoke, BUs etc) are horrendous could I then say: actually I'd prefer to fire against tank C?"

I don't see the need for the game to "govern" those situations to the degree of rigid play.

It's already stated that you must announce all of the fire against a target unit before its resolved. If you don't allow players to then change a target so be it. I for one don't feel the need to impose tight controls via game rules over those situations when playing. In any event, if the players don't agree with it, they won't follow it.

To me, it's about having fun and enjoying the gaming experience rather than catching someone in a mistake or a "gotcha" moment. When I play, I point out better options. I think that's a superior learning and gaming experience and more fun for all involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.