Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
*The Run Down
I noticed there was no ethereal realm type environment so I made one. Heck, the Marvel universe goes to it so much along with other comics, I thought, why not Sentinels. This place is a bit different from those ones as I have made this more of the mythological plane where nightmares and dreamers reside, not just a plane for the mind, but a kind of spirit world where we go when sleeping and our spirit travels.

*Bio
A plane like no other, the Astral Plane is a place of ethereal beings and psychic energy. A place of good and evil in their purest form. For people of earth, this realm can only be accessed in our sleep, or in the form of a psychic link. The heroes and villains can cause much disturbance here as well, when they all dream.

Environment: Astral Plane

Creatures (Qty:8)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Passing Dream (Qty:2)
HP: 4
-At the beginning of the environment turn, each player plays the top card of their deck.
-At the end of the environment turn, play the top card of the villain deck.

Bad Dream (Qty:1)
HP: 4
-At the end of the environment turn, destroy (H)-1 hero ongoing cards
-At the beginning of the environment turn, destroy a non-character villain card.

Nightmare (Qty:3)
HP: 7
-At the beginning of the environment turn, Nightmare deals 2 psychic damage to the non-environment target with the lowest HP.

Night Terror (Qty:2)
HP: 9
-At the beginning of the environment turn, Night Terror deals 4 psychic damage to the non-environment target with the highest HP.

Other (Qty:3)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Astral Manifestation (Qty:1)
-Damage dealt by the target with the most HP is increased by 2.
-Damage dealt to the target with the most HP is reduced by 1.
-At the beginning of the environment turn, player may choose to discard 2 cards each to destroy this card.

Euphoric Wave (Qty:2)
-Each target regains 3 HP
-destroy this card at end of environment turn

Energy Storm (Qty:2)
-Energy Storm deals 2 psychic damage to each non-environment target.
-Each environment target regains 2 HP
-Destroy this card at end of environment turn

Disturbed Sleep (Qty:2)
-Play on target hero with the second highest HP
-Attached hero cannot deal or receive damage, recover HP, affect or be affected by another target.
-At the start of the environment turn, destroy this card.

Any suggestions and recommendations would be most appreciated. This is the Second Environment of the series I am creating. My artist is pretty busy so no art yet. Always looking for a new artist if anyone is interested. Not finished, will finish when I can on last card.

(Edit Notes)
-Removed Dreaming Civilians due to bad mechanic.
-Added Energy Storm
-Added Passing Dream
-Added Bad Dream
-Adjusted Astral Plane beings abilities to end of turn and to not affect environment targets.
-Added keyword One-Shot to Euphoric Wave and Energy Storm
-Adjusted the amount of cards destroyed by Bad Dream

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally, I'm a big supporter of the heroes needing to protect innocents. See my Hunt of the Fantaria and environments UC Berkeley & Carnival for examples. But it doesn't really fit here.

If, from an Earthling's perspective, these are merely beings of dreams, I don't imagine the heroes would be so despondent about their "deaths." Even if they are an alien race, this affects them more than losing actual civilians from Dok'Thorath.

But mechanically it isn't very good. 1/3 of the deck consists of these civilians. That means that for each cycle through the environment, the heroes are taking 10 x (H) damage from this one function alone. And that's self-administered, so it works against heroes that charge up their hits. Basically, you wouldn't want to increase your damage output because you're collectively hitting yourselves as much as any baddies.

Beyond that, there isn't any way to protect them. Some heroes might be able to toss some healing or redirects their way, but there's nothing inherent about rescuing them, aside from not shooting them, furthering hindering heroes that shoot all non-hero targets (which is kinda already powerful enough).

And you just await the villain's "destroy all environment cards" play, kill yourselves, and lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very good points. Will reduce the amount of Dreaming Civilians and rework them a bit and use the freed up space for another card that will have a global effect for all. Make it feel more like being on the Astral Plane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaggid88 wrote:
*The Run Down
I noticed there was no ethereal realm type environment so I made one. Heck, the Marvel universe goes to it so much along with other comics, I thought, why not Sentinels.

There is The Realm of Discord in the Infernal Relics expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are Nightmares and Night Terrors meant to eat themselves and each other?

I'd move the villain Ongoing destruction and player card plays to the beginning of the environment turn on Bad Dream and Passing Dream, as per the super computer of Time Cataclysm. This tilts the balance in favor of the villain, slightly, but is still technically neutral.

On an unrelated note: environment decks consist of 15 cards. There's no real reason that they must, so if you wanna just ignore that limit, whaddyagonnado? But published environment decks are always 15 cards. Sometimes, the art of deck construction entails working within established parameters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the suggestions. The deck is 15 cards, I forgot to adjust the total for the creatures when I switched out the Dreaming Civilians that were an issue. Thank you for pointing that out as that would of made me look silly to forget that. I also forgot to tweak the other creatures to not feed on each other as they were supposed to try and take out the dreaming civilians as well, but that mechanic could get out of control. But it is gone now. Thank you for the help.

Also I always felt that the Realm of Discord was not a dream realm so much as it was merely a reality that was based on disorder instead of rules like our world. It could be construed as a dream world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought of it as a nightmare realm.

I see that you changed the player Ongoing destruction and villain card plays to the beginning of the environment turn, as well. That seems odd. Was there a reason behind it?

If you had:

At the end of the environment turn, destroy 1 hero Ongoing card.
At the beginning of the environment turn, destroy 1 villain Ongoing card.

... and ...

At the end of the environment turn, play the top card of the villain deck.
At the beginning of the environment turn, play the top of each hero deck, in order.

... then you would create a fairly neutral card that favored the villain, if destroyed before the heroes get their benefit, encouraging players to keep these cards in effect. If all the triggers were the same, then blow 'em up or don't. Whatever.

Meanwhile, destroying 1 non-character villain card is very strong. So long, Citizen Truth, La Padora Magnifica, any Apostate or Gloomweaver Relic, and those irritating Distractions that Miss Information sets out. Ongoings are, by design, meant to be vulnerable to attack. There's very few ways for heroes to destroy non-target, non-Ongoing villain cards ... and they pay through the nose for it.

Additionally, it would be fair to destroy (H) [or maybe (H) minus 1] hero Ongoing cards for 1 villain Ongoing card, since lots of villains only have a couple Ongoings and the heroes can field (H) in as many rounds.

Finally, there's no way to remove some of these cards from play, unless you happen to bring heroes capable of such. But a team of Legacy, Nudist, and the Sentinels will never be able to remove Euphoric Wave and Energy Storm. I suppose that's okay, since they really don't ever need to leave play. But just checking that you meant for that to be the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, was totally not thinking when I changed them both. And for the Storm and Wave cards, they were meant to be single event cards and did not think it through to make them one-shots. But now it is all fixed. Your right about balancing out the destruction of villain cards. Will take care of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Traditionally, environment cards aren't ever One-Shots. They have a timing and (may) self-destruct, instead.

Looks like you got Bad Dream all mixed up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the heads up. The issues have been fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.