Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cohen
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize I may be a bit late to the game, but is Talisman for me?
I love RPG adventure games but each time I've tried Talisman I've been very frustrated. Specifically by the dice roll movement system, which makes it very difficult to play coherently. Let's say I want to take the gold I got from killing that monster back to town so I can buy a better sword so I can take on that bigger monster I ran away from last time. in any normal game this would be a trivial task, but in Talisman it's an exercise in frustration, all caused by the dice roll move system. Ruins the whole thing for me
What should I do? is there a fix or should I just go find another game?

Thanks,
Vandervecken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A buddy of mine just got his Ravingspire KSer and I've seen a couple of posts that it kills Talisman/Relic for some people. Might be worth checking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Beatrice
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its probably not for you. The whole roll and move thing, combined with extreme randomness makes up a huge part of the game. Its not really an RPG type of game, it just looks it because of the fantasy setting. If you're dead-set on getting it, try these suggestions for more fun:

1. Instead of moving the exact number of spaces you rolled, move up to that amount.

2. Instead of rolling to move, you can instead choose to move 1 space.

3. Get intoxicated/inebriated and throw away your cares because that's when this game really shines.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mason
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geddon wrote:

3. Get intoxicated/inebriated and throw away your cares because that's when this game really shines.

I can personally vouch for recommendations 2 and 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There is a game very very similar to Talisman but does movement differently. Check out Prophecy.

I did see a webpage awhile back that lists all the various methods of mitigating movement in Talisman found in the various expansions and the base game. There actually is a bunch of methods, but still not common.

Maybe you can find it, or someone else knows were it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geddon wrote:
Its probably not for you. The whole roll and move thing, combined with extreme randomness makes up a huge part of the game. Its not really an RPG type of game, it just looks it because of the fantasy setting. If you're dead-set on getting it, try these suggestions for more fun:

1. Instead of moving the exact number of spaces you rolled, move up to that amount.

Good luck!

Best advice I have heard in a long time. Gonna dig it out and try all 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorias Silverblade
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well,the good thing with Talisman is, that it is a very simple and thematic fantasy andventure game.However, this unfortunately doesn't mean that it does everything in a good manner.Talisman may have a fantasy theme,however it is very luck driven and unless you house-rule it,it can be a very frustrating experience,especially if you expect something like an RPG/Adventure style of game.Don't get me wrong there are sometimes that i would gladly play it,but i take it for what it is,a Monopoly kind of game with a fantasy theme.Talisman is ok if you want to play a game with some friends,while drinking a beer and discussing something or just having a relaxing time.It is not a game where you will plan a strategy or be competitive against each other and expect everything to happen as planned.In the end, the dice and cards will dicide your fate.One person may fight a simple monster and you may have to fight a dragon from turn one..Thankfully, nowadays there are better fantasy themed games, with a good sense of adventure that adress most of the problems Talisman has.For a similar but better experience try Runebound, Prophecy, The Witcher and of course Mage Knight.Pathfinder the adventure card game is also a good choise and i would also suggest Defenders of the realm and Legends of Andor but these are cooperative games.For a more rpg-like experience you can try Descent or Wrath of Ashardalon but these are dungeon crawlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
If you can't embrace the roll-and-move in all its random glory, Talisman isn't for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman is not for you.
You answered your question yourself.
Go for Mage Knight or another brain burning game.
Talisman is about having an adventure experience, not strategical gaming.
No fix will make you like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geddon wrote:

I think I just found two house rules for when I play Talisman.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geddon wrote:

Those variants make the game way too easy and they kill some specific powers provided by some spells, magic items or character powers.
Otherwise, your number 3 suggestion and other considerations are spot on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Truthfully, #3 works for me in most games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apethandos wrote:
...it can be a very frustrating experience,especially if you expect something like an RPG/Adventure style of game... Thankfully, nowadays there are better fantasy themed games, with a good sense of adventure that adress most of the problems Talisman has.For a similar but better experience try Runebound, Prophecy, The Witcher and of course Mage Knight. Pathfinder the adventure card game is also a good choise and i would also suggest Defenders of the realm and Legends of Andor but these are cooperative games.For a more rpg-like experience you can try Descent or Wrath of Ashardalon but these are dungeon crawlers.

I think Talisman is a great RPG Adventure game.

Tomb & Tomb: Cryptmaster are the only fantasy games better than Talisman.

Runebound is good, but would never play it with more than 3 players, and it needs expansions badly to have more plays (2nd edition by my experience).

Prophecy is good, and lack of expansions may also limit re-playability, but as I already shared may fit the dislike of roll and move. Good game.

I can't speak of Witcher, but when I watched the review it did not interest me.

Mage Knight and Defenders of the Realm are very puzzly games. Unless you like puzzly games I would NOT recommend them.

Legends of Andor has limited replayability and I think is a time based (# of turns) game, but I do think a new expansion has come out for it. Not my style, but besides what I shared I can't speak against it.

Wrath of Ashardalon or any of the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games are pretty good, but are more of a light miniatures tactical game. They can be found pretty cheap, and are a great co-op experience but don't fit the adventure experience I like in Talisman, but I do enjoy them.

Descent sounds great, but never played it myself, it does require a GM/DM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Going by the scenario you mentioned in your original post, I recommend Runebound 2nd ed. You can do exactly what you said, quite easily. Most of the time. Dice are used for movement, but you can get where you want to go MUCH more easily. Certain areas of the board are harder to move through, like forests and mountains, but that should be expected.

Personally, I like Talisman a bit more than Runebound, though I enjoy both.

Mage Knight is also quite good, and it may be an even better fit for you than Runebound. Mage Knight is quite puzzley, as DomaGB mentioned, but it rewards skill more than any other fantasy game I know. It uses a hand of cards instead of dice for just about everything, and you have complete control over how you use the cards in your hand to move around and interact with the world. Luck of the draw does come into play, but you can start planning your next turn as soon as your previous turn ends.

Cheers!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorias Silverblade
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
Apethandos wrote:
...it can be a very frustrating experience,especially if you expect something like an RPG/Adventure style of game... Thankfully, nowadays there are better fantasy themed games, with a good sense of adventure that adress most of the problems Talisman has.For a similar but better experience try Runebound, Prophecy, The Witcher and of course Mage Knight. Pathfinder the adventure card game is also a good choise and i would also suggest Defenders of the realm and Legends of Andor but these are cooperative games.For a more rpg-like experience you can try Descent or Wrath of Ashardalon but these are dungeon crawlers.

Runebound is good, but would never play it with more than 3 players, and it needs expansions badly to have more plays (2nd edition by my experience).

Prophecy is good, and lack of expansions may also limit re-playability, but as I already shared may fit the dislike of roll and move. Good game.

Mage Knight and Defenders of the Realm are very puzzly games. Unless you like puzzly games I would NOT recommend them.

Legends of Andor has limited replayability and I think is a time based (# of turns) game, but I do think a new expansion has come out for it. Not my style, but besides what I shared I can't speak against it.

Wrath of Ashardalon or any of the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games are pretty good, but are more of a light miniatures tactical game. They can be found pretty cheap, and are a great co-op experience but don't fit the adventure experience I like in Talisman, but I do enjoy them.

Well,as a very experienced rpg player with over 15 years of D&D playtime,i can't really see the RPG aspect of Talisman.But maybe you can!Of course i agree it has an adventure element but to me, not as much as the other games i mentioned. First i agree that Runebound 2nd ed may not be the best game for more than 2, but this is only because of the downtime and the total playtime.As a game it has a solid movement mechanic,the exploration aspect is far better than in Talisman and the combat is more engaging.As for the expansions i don't think that the base Talisman has more replayability than base Runebound.The same goes with Prophecy comparing the basic games out of the box. I agree of course with what you said considering Mage Knight and Defenders,but i think they are both good to consider if you want a more complicated experience. Legends of Andor is an entirely different game.Of course it's a more puzzly experience but i haven't found any replayability issues since legend 3 is pretty replayable and in the end,at least with my gaming group,we have all felt like we played an adventure game. The Dungeons & Dragons Adventure games of course have a more tactical aspect but, on my opinion they do feel like an adventure.I mean,you and your friends take some characters,get into a dungeon,explore the tiles,find monsters,kill them,get the treasure.It doesn't get more aventure/rpg-ish than that.The hole 4th edition of d&d was VERY similar to this. Don't get me wrong,i like Talisman and sometimes i play it,but i take it for what it is and i am ok with it.I don't consider it better than the games i mentioned though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apethandos wrote:
DomaGB wrote:
Apethandos wrote:

Well,as a very experienced rpg player with over 15 years of D&D playtime,i can't really see the RPG aspect of Talisman.But maybe you can!Of course i agree it has an adventure element but to me, not as much as the other games i mentioned. First i agree that Runebound 2nd ed may not be the best game for more than 2, but this is only because of the downtime and the total playtime.As a game it has a solid movement mechanic,the exploration aspect is far better than in Talisman and the combat is more engaging.As for the expansions i don't think that the base Talisman has more replayability than base Runebound.The same goes with Prophecy comparing the basic games out of the box. I agree of course with what you said considering Mage Knight and Defenders,but i think they are both good to consider if you want a more complicated experience. Legends of Andor is an entirely different game.Of course it's a more puzzly experience but i haven't found any replayability issues since legend 3 is pretty replayable and in the end,at least with my gaming group,we have all felt like we played an adventure game. The Dungeons & Dragons Adventure games of course have a more tactical aspect but, on my opinion they do feel like an adventure.I mean,you and your friends take some characters,get into a dungeon,explore the tiles,find monsters,kill them,get the treasure.It doesn't get more aventure/rpg-ish than that.The hole 4th edition of d&d was VERY similar to this. Don't get me wrong,i like Talisman and sometimes i play it,but i take it for what it is and i am ok with it.I don't consider it better than the games i mentioned though.

I been playing D&D since 1983. I haven't played new editions, thus I don't equate Role Playing with tactical miniatures, but I do agree the D&D board games are fun.

I would not ever recommend Talisman or Runebound base only. Well Runebound base only a couple of times would be fine. But it would become stale quick with the same monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cohen
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks folks. I think it's not for me.
And yes, I do love me some Mage Knight, it's just hard to get on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dad dee
msg tools
Geddon wrote:

Whoa that sounds cool. You'll have to pull some spell cards and magical objects that allow you to do that in the base game but that does sound like it would speed up the game.

Another variant I've read is if you roll a 6 you may add another die for additional movement. I believe this is taken from Relic.

I'll have to try these out. I've already tried #3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.