Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.- Friedrich Nietzsche

I've been thinking about this for a while. Just rambling here but what happens if there was an alignment or some way through the course of your campaign to choose what type of settlement you got?

That if you denied the lantern and caved into the darkness, your people and settlement started to become the darkness itself? Slowly developing into monsters over the course of years/generations, your power gain new powers or special buildings, while other things become barred from you?

I just think this idea is so cool.

That what you build and how you choose choices (whether you choose cannibalism for example) means you lose humanity. And if you stick to the light you retain your humanity in the surrounding darkness. How you fight and build your settlement would be greatly affected.

Just throwing this stuff out there. It's pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a theme that's already in the game.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I mean, in the Principle Society, you litteraly are making that choice- a woman who has had a conversation with the darkness comes back and tells everyone that we are also monsters.

Then you can choose to expel her from your society or embrace the darkness.

When you choose your settlement's "conviction" you are faced with a similar choice.

I'd love to play a campaign in which our survivors are slowly transforming into hybrid monsters creatures, depending on the choices they make.

Especially if it really fits in well with whatever the boss monster is.

Oooh, maybe the Flower Witch? She could be cultivating the survivors like they're some sort of garden, and the survivors face consequences in as much as they resist or submit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
odinsgrandson wrote:
I'd love to play a campaign in which our survivors are slowly transforming into hybrid monsters creatures, depending on the choices they make.

I don't know if it's a spoiler, but

Spoiler (click to reveal)
like you mean, forsaker being a first step into the journey of being a butcher or gaining the elements of regal armor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that, fluffwise, a Butcher is a maddened (ok, more maddened) Forsaker, and when you complete the King's Curse, you actually become a King's Man. The Hand sees through you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen F
msg tools
mbmbmb
That is a pretty awesome idea.
I could see it work as a kind settlement resource, 'humanity'. You can spend it to get bonuses, but the lower your humanity becomes, the more likely it becomes that you are forced to lose even more humanity through events or something, so that you have to walk a fine line between bonuses and trying to avoid getting stuck in a downward spiral towards inhumanity/monsterhood (= game over).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
ZGahn wrote:
I could see it work as a kind settlement resource, 'humanity'. You can spend it to get bonuses, but the lower your humanity becomes, the more likely it becomes that you are forced to lose even more humanity through events or something, so that you have to walk a fine line between bonuses and trying to avoid getting stuck in a downward spiral towards inhumanity/monsterhood (= game over).

Vampire:The Masquerade, is that you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
t3clis wrote:
ZGahn wrote:

Vampire:The Masquerade, is that you?

At least Vampire is forgiving in the sense that losing Humanity doesn't mean you keep losing it until game over. Honestly, not a well thought out mechanic, nobody would spend more than one or two (or whatever arbitrary numbers) because they /know/ there's no escape if you go over that limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, The old WW games were actually real storytelling games (Wraith: The Oblivion and Mage: The Ascension being the best storytelling/very-good-role-playing games I ever played... and I played A LOT of them), and the point was that you were telling a story, not minmaxing your way to the kickass vampire who could stand in the sun if he really wanted, so you usually played humanity as a slow descent into becoming a beast (that is also the original theme of the game): you started at 7 or so (I remember that a score of 8 was read as "you are more human than most humans") and the whole point of the game was narrating your fall (with the obvious exceptions that the different chronicles would allow).

In this sense, I was comparing the mechanics to V:TM, and actually they are nice (don't feel a lot of need for them, but they would be a pleasant variation, if implemented in a way that merges a bit better with the rest of the game).

And remember, kids: whenever I compare anything to one of the White Wolf golden age games, THAT is a compliment. If I wanted to insult, I would have said Vampire: The Requiem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.