Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Dixit vs mysterium vs deception rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincennes Faronto
Indonesia
palembang
flag msg tools
Hello everyone,

My apologize if this have been well covered before.
Anyway, as the title says its Dixitvs Deception: Murder in Hong Kong vs Mysterium

Ive played all three a bit;
1. I played dixit once (won the game). I like it for its art and how easy it is to teach and play. Downside too simple and not much replayability with the same group and without expansion?

2. Ive played deception once as the investigator and twice as the forensic (won none of them but came very very close in all three). I like detective theme and i like the interaction between all the roles. Downside art wasnt as good as the other two?

3. Ive played mysterium once as a ghost feels allrite and love the art as well. Downside same as dixit?

Please share or thoughts and experience or anything really

Ohh, lastly games that i own that is similar
1. The Resistance: Avalon
2. One Night Ultimate Werewolf and The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow

Thank you so much
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterium is a cooperative game, so if you are looking for something that a group can work together on, that would be my recommendation.

Deception shares more in common with your other social deduction games. It is a good game, although our group rarely plays anymore because people complained it was too hard for the murderer to win.

Dixit is more of a party game. If you are looking for something light that non-gamers might get into more easily, Dixit might be what you are searching for.

My favorite of the bunch is Mysterium, but that is because I love cooperative games. I would recommend playing it with the original rules from Tajemnicze Domostwo (Tajemnicze Domostwo) because the end of the game is also a team activity. However, the new rules aren't bad. I just prefer the original from the first edition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Dixit is alright but can be hard to play with a runaway early leader.

2. I like Mysterium of the three. But I prefer with the current rules that has the major vote at the end, limited by the intuition scores earned by the players. It brings out more information for the players and ghost to work on as the psychics build up those points, as well it can be challenging knowing when to say someone is wrong. As a bonus, you can use the Dixit cards for more vision options! And there is now an expansion.

3. I have tried Deduction...didn't think much of it. Maybe it was too easy for one aspect, and hard for the other, but just wasn't drawn into that particular traitor game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincennes Faronto
Indonesia
palembang
flag msg tools
Thank you david, my fear from mysterium is that it'll feel a bit off if we play it with the same people over and over again. Although i must admit i would easily pick mysterium too if not for the replayability concern.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Jalapena wrote:
Thank you david, my fear from mysterium is that it'll feel a bit off if we play it with the same people over and over again. Although i must admit i would easily pick mysterium too if not for the replayability concern.


I've not played Deduction at all..

My preference is for Mysterium over Dixit, just because there's a little bit more of an objective behind the communication via artwork. My group loves Mysterium.. we've played it a few times, and I agree, I can see this happening. There is an expansion, and others have said that you can use the cards from Dixit as clue cards to give you some more variety. I haven't done that yet.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I need more plays of Mysterium, but I would go Mysterium > Deception > Dixit, and that's considering I own Deception but not Mysterium. Deception's issue is how much it leans on player count.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
I think what people are saying about Mysterium being the better game than Dixit is accurate. However I think Dixit is the better game to own in that it gets played far more.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
I think what people are saying about Mysterium being the better game than Dixit is accurate. However I think Dixit is the better game to own in that it gets played far more.


I agree with this to some degree.. It depends on how willing your group is to spend the time setting up Mysterium. It can be confusing the first time you do it, but the 2nd game sets up much faster than the first..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hohum on Decpetion after first few plays but it has really grown on us with more plays and now I think may have entered my top ten.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Personal opinion - Dixit eats Mysterium alive when played with my group. You need to really dig deep to get the best out of dixit and it's not about winning. After the game is done we aren't talking about who won but rather who gave the best clues and it doesn't matter if no one guessed the right card.

With that said, buy Mysterium! Easy choice because you can easily play dixit with the deck of cards that comes with Mysterium. Just make a score track and some numbered chips for each player and you have both games in one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
glouie wrote:
Jalapena wrote:
Thank you david, my fear from mysterium is that it'll feel a bit off if we play it with the same people over and over again. Although i must admit i would easily pick mysterium too if not for the replayability concern.


I've not played Deduction at all..

My preference is for Mysterium over Dixit, just because there's a little bit more of an objective behind the communication via artwork. My group loves Mysterium.. we've played it a few times, and I agree, I can see this happening. There is an expansion, and others have said that you can use the cards from Dixit as clue cards to give you some more variety. I haven't done that yet.




I have played the @#$^ out of Mysterium and can confirm that if you play it too much, too often with one group, it's common for people to start forming their own pidgin language around what each of the ghost cards stands for.

I also have the expansion and can confirm that this helps somewhat simply by making the card pool bigger and slowing down the process of developing that pidgin, as you would predict. Some of the cards are very specific in their oddities though, and it seems those cards are unable to be "unseen" once they're seen in a specific way. I think the dark card with the ghost car made of donuts/muffins/etc. is the best example of this. They should probably concentrate on making sure cards in future expansions are surreal/impressionistic "enough".

I dearly love the game and hope that they continue printing expansions for it because of this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincennes Faronto
Indonesia
palembang
flag msg tools
thank you everyone.

and i especially agree with lluluien, which means i have to keep buying expansion after expansion to be able to keep playing mysterium (or dixit).

but at least i can conclude that i dont need to buy dixit as i can use the cards from mysterium to play dixit.

so now its just Deception: Murder in Hong Kong vs Mysterium

have a nice day
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
Personal opinion - Dixit eats Mysterium alive when played with my group. You need to really dig deep to get the best out of dixit and it's not about winning. After the game is done we aren't talking about who won but rather who gave the best clues and it doesn't matter if no one guessed the right card.

With that said, buy Mysterium! Easy choice because you can easily play dixit with the deck of cards that comes with Mysterium. Just make a score track and some numbered chips for each player and you have both games in one.


Have you tried this? How's it work?

Mysterious art seems much darker and bleaker, and does it have as many art cards in the first place?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Can't tell you what to be pick but to me:

The edge that Mysterium has it's that it's more gamery with fun mechanics and it's a co-op. I would recommend 4-5 players mainly though for this.

Dixit's edge is that you can play it with basically anyone. Even folks who have no clue about board games. Works fine down to 3 players and there are even some nice 2 player variants.

Haven't tried Deception unfortunately but it looks fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.