Subject: How many core set printings until errata corrected? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vander Dlonk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I am interested in the game but am in no hurry. For FFG's other LCGs, how many printings of the core set has it taken for errata to be corrected? Of course, that's assuming errors will exist, but it's probably a safe bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
42?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vander Dlonk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
42?

Thanks. I figure a second printing is already ordered based on distributor orders before mass playing and proofreading has occurred.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure your question has any real meaning. You can never be sure that there will never be any more errata. Several years from now a new broken combo could occur which prompts an errata to a Core card because it makes more sense to fix it that way.

My view (as a veteran of multiple LCGs) is that there is nothing of value to be gained by waiting. If there is ever any errata that is corrected in a new printing, it probably won't happen for a long time (maybe a couple of years?) and it's doubtful that it will be anything too important. Also, you're still going to have a FAQ for the expansions so it's not like you somehow are going to have a final perfect version by waiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vander Dlonk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
I'm not sure your question has any real meaning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
There won't be a second printing. I read they are discontinueing it whole it's still on the boat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too bad this game is dying already with all this errata; I'm still not sure how many core sets I should buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vander Dlonk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If I buy Mayday sleeves for this game, how many sleeve errata will there be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I don't enjoy the humor in the thread, but a related and serious question...

I never followed up with the LotR:LCG after buying the base because I got tired of waiting for expansions. Were the LCG packs ever reissued or were those always a one-and-done publication? Based on my understanding of the LCG business model, I wouldn't expect reprints. I imagine that if any of the expansions had errata on them, there was never a second printing to correct them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
davypi wrote:
Based on my understanding of the LCG business model, I wouldn't expect reprints.

That's an incredibly flawed understanding of the LCG model then. Everything gets reprinted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Not that I don't enjoy the humor in the thread, but a related and serious question...

I never followed up with the LotR:LCG after buying the base because I got tired of waiting for expansions. Were the LCG packs ever reissued or were those always a one-and-done publication? Based on my understanding of the LCG business model, I wouldn't expect reprints. I imagine that if any of the expansions had errata on them, there was never a second printing to correct them.

The various packs for LotR have been constantly reprinted, and reprintings have definitely contained errata. Keeping things in print is a core part of the LCG business model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
davypi wrote:
Based on my understanding of the LCG business model, I wouldn't expect reprints.

That's an incredibly flawed understanding of the LCG model then. Everything gets reprinted.

In fact, a whopping 16 different sets/packs (including the very first core set) are being reprinted as we speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TBH, I thought your question was a joke similar to the "how many cores do I need" thing that has been going on.

As a real answer, the answer is honestly "never". For example, in LoTR:LCG appeared in 2011~ish and early this year they "nerfed" a card from the core set. This means that printings before 2016 have a "wrong" card.

Are you willing to wait 5 years in case they change a card from there? Are you certain that no other core set cards will ever be changed? that is the complete opposite of LIVING card game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vander Dlonk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
TBH, I thought your question was a joke similar to the "how many cores do I need" thing that has been going on.

Real, if impractical, question. I got the attitude from unplayed wargames still sitting on my shelf when the corrected second printings came out. Irksome, though it's nobody's fault but mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlonk wrote:
Nushura wrote:

Real, if impractical, question. I got the attitude from unplayed wargames still sitting on my shelf when the corrected second printings came out. Irksome, though it's nobody's fault but mine.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a still un-punched 1st edition when a corrected 2nd edition has hit the shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlonk wrote:
Nushura wrote:

Errata in wargame rules can really be annoying since you are really tightly navigating the systems (usually). So I totally understand where you are coming from on this one.

As to your original question, I wouldn't worry about waiting on this one (of course I don't know for sure). But my reason is that Lord of the Rings: LCG had only 12 errata in the core set that they have officially listed as errata. But most of these were minor things, clarifications, corner cases, etc. In one instance there was a card (Protector of Lorien) that was too powerful as written and they added "Limit 3 times per phase" to later printings of the card.

Since Nate French is designing this game, it is in very good hands.

Will there be errata? Almost surely yes.

Will they be game breaking or annoying to adjust to? Almost surely no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Isn't the print run (on the boat now) the errata for the beta test run?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.