GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,767 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Kemet» Forums » Rules

Subject: Building pyramid in occupied space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roel Janssen
msg tools
Since you can recruit in an enemy occupied city space: Can you also use the raise a pyramid action in an occupied space?
(Creating a new pyramid might give opponent 1 the power to stop opponent 2 from winning)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Africa Brass v. 1 & 2
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Retudin2 wrote:
Since you can recruit in an enemy occupied city space: Can you also use the raise a pyramid action in an occupied space?
(Creating a new pyramid might give opponent 1 the power to stop opponent 2 from winning)

The rules say you place a pyramid in a free space, so no, you can't raise a pyramid in an occupied space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel Janssen
msg tools
In the side section they indeed mention upgrading from level zero is only allowed in free spaces; but I assumed that free here means not already having a pyramid.
If controlled by an opponent is also not 'free' what about having a troop of your own? Also this speaks explicitly about new pyramids, not about improving an existing one. Is this then disallowed in occupied districts by implication?

Bottom line, I don't agree it is in the rules, although I'll take your answer as the correct resolution.

Thx for answering

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Africa Brass v. 1 & 2
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Retudin2 wrote:
In the side section they indeed mention upgrading from level zero is only allowed in free spaces; but I assumed that free here means not already having a pyramid.
If controlled by an opponent is also not 'free' what about having a troop of your own? Also this speaks explicitly about new pyramids, not about improving an existing one. Is this then disallowed in occupied districts by implication?

Bottom line, I don't agree it is in the rules, although I'll take your answer as the correct resolution.

Thx for answering

I think you're right to question my first answer; I don't like it much either. But I just looked again and found something better: the rule for Pyramids (first paragraph on page 2, final sentence):

rules wrote:
Each pyramid must be placed in a different district in the players' city.

(I added the bold for emphasis, but the misplaced apostrophe is exactly how it appears in my copy of the rules.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mase Zedaker
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
The rules of the game don't really address this. I would totally allow a player to upgrade an "occupied" pyramid. It's a weird strategy and interesting choice and I don't see how this would break the game in any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.