Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Petzoldt
United States
Wildwood
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played through the solo rules on Beginner and got smoked. The way I interpret the rules, the Rival always buys the highest VP building available, EVERY round, regardless of influence (there's no reason for keeping track for them).

Is this correct? If so, what's the strategy for beating the Rival? It seems almost impossible to keep up - the only way is to hope you're able to buy first and always buy the highest VP building and advance industry to your liking. Again, this seems impossible - I was doing well to be able to buy ANY building each round, let alone the highest VP building (or win the Town Hall).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rival buys the highest VP card FROM THE LOCATIONS HE HAS MEEPLES.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Solo will buy the highest available building to him from the mats that he has posse members on. This may or may not give him the highest VP card of the round. And, if it is, there are several ways to mitigate this:

1) If the Solo is going to buy a particularly high VP building, you can try and win the town hall and make sure you buy it first

2) You should, and need to, make good use of the "Leftover" spot on the Sheriff's card to buy a second building. The Rival can't use this space (although they can stand there) so this is a good way to sneak ahead.

3) Keep control of the industries. The Rival will do a lot of buying, so you should do what you can to gain that extra edge.

Hope those tips and clarifications help. The Solo is tough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Petzoldt
United States
Wildwood
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed the part where the Rival has to have a posse there, that makes a lot of sense! I tried to use the "leftover" spot multiple times, but the Rival kept dueling me and winning when I did.

Thanks for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.