Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or do other people not like to be called Sir?

I live in the UK where I don't think it is ingrained into our culture as much as some other countries, such as the US.

How do you feel about it? Do you prefer first name, mr/mrs/miss x, sir? Where are you from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind "sir" when the person doesn't know me and doesn't really want to. "Sir? You left your backpack under your seat" is fine with me as I get up from the subway. I use it sometimes in the same way myself.

First name for anybody who knows me.

"Mr. X" never feels right. Especially because my last name is not X. But "Mr. McBoatface" (or whatever my last name may be) feels pretty weird too. I don't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well since I'm female, I really really would dislike being called "sir."

But seriously, on the flip side, it's not my favorite when someone calls me "ma'am" because it makes me feel old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I don't mind "sir" when the person doesn't know me and doesn't really want to. "Sir? You left your backpack under your seat" is fine with me as I get up from the subway. I use it sometimes in the same way myself.

First name for anybody who knows me.

"Mr. X" never feels right. Especially because my last name is not X. But "Mr. McBoatface" (or whatever my last name may be) feels pretty weird too. I don't like it.

I hate people calling me MR Kirk even more, but I chose sir because it seems to be getting more common.

CallieMo wrote:

But seriously, on the flip side, it's not my favorite when someone calls me "ma'am" because it makes me feel old.

I can see that. At the station we are supposed to call female officers of a higher rank Ma'am, but they prefer boss 99% of the time. (Unless it's something being recorded, then its official all the way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no issue with Sir in a professional setting. It's kinda weird in a casual setting but it would not upset me.

I do know several women though that do not appreciate being called Ma'am. Like... they really don't like being called that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I use "miss" when I would use "sir" for a man. Is that patronizing? I hope not, but if it is, I should change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
For me, I use "miss" when I would use "sir" for a man. Is that patronizing? I hope not, but if it is, I should change.

I prefer "miss" over "ma'am" any day even if I know that my "miss" days are long behind me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They're all fine by me. I also like the Middle Eastern version: "my friend".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's awesome. I like to be called sir and mister. I call people "sir" all the time. It is a simple gesture that communicates respect and deference.

But call me "pal" or "guy"... Well, now, them's fightin' words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee Whiz wrote:
I think it's awesome. I like to be called sir and mister. I call people "sir" all the time. It is a simple gesture that communicates respect and deference.

Whoa, buddy, calm down there, okay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CallieMo wrote:
Gee Whiz wrote:

Arrrrgh! Buddy's the most passive aggressive of all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee Whiz wrote:
CallieMo wrote:
Gee Whiz wrote:

Dude, we're all friends here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortunately, I'm at a job where I can call even my supervisors/higher-ups by first name without problem, and don't really have to deal with customers. The only time I really need to use a title is when I'm reffing a football game, and for those communications, the title is easy: "Coach"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
Gee Whiz wrote:
CallieMo wrote:
Gee Whiz wrote:

Ah, this gets us back to part of the OP, I think. I'm from the west coast AND was formed into a person in the eighties, so "Dude" is a totally okay thing to call someone, but, correct me if I'm wrong, is not an okay thing to call a stranger in the great state of Texas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:

I do know several women though that do not appreciate being called Ma'am. Like... they really don't like being called that.

I've always hated it with a great passion. I've been trying to lighten up on it, because I realize people don't mean any offense and it's just a cultural nicety they grew up with, but I still don't like it.

My standard response used to be "Ma'am is short for madam and I don't run a whore house."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CallieMo wrote:

Yep, I agree with Callie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Harvester of eyes, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure why exactly but I never liked to be called buddy or pal by someone who knows my name. I feel that way when a woman, and in particular a lover, keeps calling me baby. That's what strangers call people they don't know. People like to hear their own names and I'm no exception.

For some reason a number of former coworkers, peers and not subordinates, usually and respectfully called me Mr. O'Haver. There were a couple of folks of the same ethnic group who couldn't get that pronunciation right who called me Mr. O'Havier. I didn't mind that too much since one was a beautiful woman with a way of saying it wrong so delightfully.

I use the word sir and miss or ma'am depending on age and circumstances. By the way, I'm 66 and usually the eldest in most professional and social situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohh! Suits you, sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee Whiz wrote:
JohnnyOffice wrote:
Gee Whiz wrote:
CallieMo wrote:
Gee Whiz wrote:

Ah, this gets us back to part of the OP, I think. I'm from the west coast AND was formed into a person in the eighties, so "Dude" is a totally okay thing to call someone, but, correct me if I'm wrong, is not an okay thing to call a stranger in the great state of Texas.

Got it, chum, we'll just have to call you Sir Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how I'm feeling.

For men: Mister, Sir, Bud, Hey, Hey you, Buster, Jerk, Dude, Pal, and so on.

Women: Ma'am, Miss, Ms., Lady, Dudette, Jerk, Hey, Hey you, Excuse me, and so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just don't call me late for dinner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this weird peeve--I don't like people calling me by name if we haven't been introduced. It's one thing if they ask "are you Erik?", but I don't like it when people call me by name as if we've known each other for years, especially because I'm bad at names and faces, so I wonder if I should know them.

Whenever I had a job that required a name tag, I always wore a fake name to separate the folks who knew me from those who didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings, Citizen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee Whiz wrote:
JohnnyOffice wrote:
Gee Whiz wrote:
CallieMo wrote:
Gee Whiz wrote:

Maaate!

Hey, mate!

Oi! Mate!

But Sir is OK. Ma'am if a lady is significantly older, otherwise Miss.

Dude and dudette are catching on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:
Is it just me, or do other people not like to be called Sir?

I live in the UK where I don't think it is ingrained into our culture as much as some other countries, such as the US.

How do you feel about it? Do you prefer first name, mr/mrs/miss x, sir? Where are you from?

Hate it. I don't "Sir" anyone and don't like it when it is done to me. Not too keen on Mr Leighton either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.