Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is already in a few hands and it looks cool. I'd sure like to read some initial thoughts and see some pictures of the finished product before I pull the trigger though.

How about it, folks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is in the mail. Looking forward to setting it up and playing it a few times. I'll come back here and let you know my thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Farrell
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Andrew,

I just got my copy yesterday. I have read the rules but have not played. The components seem very nice. The map is on gloss paper and is fairly large. It looks nicer than the play test map from the company website and the existing BGG photo. It opens to eight sections so you might want to put it under glass. Almost all the information is displayed on the map edges so you won't spend a lot of time shuffling through extra charts. The pieces are easily readable and pop out of the sheet nicely. Based on one reading of the rules I think the AI will work quite well.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Paul, a few questions:

How many pages of rules? What is a rough estimate of playing time? Would you tell us a bit more about the AI, how does it function?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've received my copy, clipped all the counters and am working my way through the rules. Here are a few initial thoughts;

I love the size of the counters. Being 50-something years old, my eyes have been demanding larger counters in my games. The counters are well designed and colorful. There are some counters of different brigades which look too similar. Example, two shades of gray.

The map is gorgeous. It's large and the areas in it are large enough to hold any amount of counters without spilling over to another area. Sequences of play of different phases of play are on the edges (though are not crammed into too small an area for the sequence of play on the map to be useless) and top of the map.

The rulebook is functional so far, but it could use more clarity. There are sections of the book you have to puzzle your way through, as well as learning the different types of counters and how they function. I'm finding if I have questions, I can continue to read and the answer will be understood. If not by being directly stated, then by understanding a description on the elements of a phase in the turn structure.

This game seems to be very detail oriented. The process of doing something takes a number of steps. One example is that if you want to move a few regiments or batteries to a certain area of the map, there is a rigorous process. Orders come from up high (General Buller being the commander) and travel through other leaders in charge of specific batteries, cavalry and infantry. If the orders somehow don't make it to the intended units, no movement happens.

Dice are rolled and modifiers are used to determine moving, battling, and morale. There are also many charts. Having not played yet, I don't know if all of the chart consultation and dice rolling will work smoothly. I have a feeling it will, and am getting fairly excited about playing.

I'll write again after I play a few games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Farrell
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Andrew,

The rule book is twelve pages but only a bit over eight have rules. The remaining pages are orders of battle, designer notes and a table of contents.

I had one problem with the rules but this was kindly and quickly resolved by the designer.

I have only played about half a game so far but here are a few AI thoughts: The Boers Shoot at targets based on a simple priority chart that seems to target the most vulnerable British available target. Boer movement is also determined from a chart and seems designed to encourage the safest move towards or away from British troops as dictated by the situation. Boer firepower for a unit is not fixed. A random chit is drawn when a unit fires and this simulates extra Boers filtering into or out of the combat area without British knowledge.

I can't tell how long a game will take yet as I haven't had a chance to finish the game. From unboxing until the end of the second round of combat took about an hour. The second round went much faster than the first as I knew what I was doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
The process may take a bit of time to understand but hopeful it will flow once you become familiar.

Much of the rigour is necessary in a solitaire game.
The aim was to ensure a solitaire game where you have real choices as opposed to the system playing you

As to greater clarity I understand that to some extent - just ask and I will reply asap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Migliore
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:
So this is already in a few hands and it looks cool. I'd sure like to read some initial thoughts and see some pictures of the finished product before I pull the trigger though.

How about it, folks?

My impressions so far... clean design, thick big counters, attractive map. Rules are fine (although I would word things differently in places). The map has on page sequencing with several "step" counters that have an arrow so you can track where you are. There are lot of variants/options you can play with to control the ease and likely outcome. AI is okay... the leaders not following orders directly if the are better graded e.g. A vs. C leader can lead to unexpected results but that makes it fun.

Overall I recommend it as a solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lol. That picture of the map makes it look much smaller than it actually is. It shocked me when I first saw how large the map was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My copy arrived here in Edinburgh,UK, today.

It looks fantastic - a stunning map, gorgeous counters, and a rulebook that looks well written.

I've spent this evening clipping the counters and reading the rules and now can't wait to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARCO LEOFRIGIO
Italy
flag msg tools
me too like big counters, i am 53 year old :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARCO LEOFRIGIO
Italy
flag msg tools
thanks, you explain me how Boer fire counters-chits function
grazie, ciao, Marco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARCO LEOFRIGIO
Italy
flag msg tools
dear Geoffrey
i have some doubts for the initial setup
as Buller i have to put the objective as historical print on the map
correct ?

many thanks in advance
Marco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Marco

There are 2 scenarios an historical one (Buller version) where you put the objective markers as printed on the map and a free set up one where you choose the objective locations.

For both scenarios the starting position for all British units is as printed on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.