Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I'm just in the process of creating some mockups for my card game, but I'm struggling to think of symbols for certain character traits and card types.

Champion - I was thinking maybe a shield, but I'm not sure.
Normal - Not sure at all, maybe no symbol?

Intelligent - Brain or head
Durable - Maybe a rock, but not sure.
Agile - not sure at all.

Strength/attack - Muscular arm, maybe.
Damage - Explosion, or hammer, not sure.

Can anyone help me decide, please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:
Hi all

I'm just in the process of creating some mockups for my card game, but I'm struggling to think of symbols for certain character traits and card types.

Intelligent - Brain or head
Durable - Maybe a rock, but not sure. Chain ?
Agile - not sure at all. Running Cheetah/Catlike ?

Strength/attack - Muscular arm, maybe.
Damage - Explosion, or hammer, not sure.

Can anyone help me decide, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Champion - flag or banner
Normal - if you can use a no symbol it should be common, and be clear that the empty spot for it has meaning and its not mixed with other symbols OR dont think of it as two differnt types that need symbols but rather one type that needs to be highlighted

Intelligent - eye, book,
Durable - anvil, shield
Agile - cat, balancing scale, arrow or knife in a bulls-eye

Strength/attack - hammer, sword
Damage - heart or drop of blood

hope that helps, I'm not gonna bother thinking if what I actually gave you is better or not just trying to give you more options
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wynn
United States
Collierville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Mafman's suggestions.

Can you give us a little more theme info?

My first thought was a crown for "Champion" (like King's Champion), but playing off of the previous offerings; the Champion could be a flag or banner with a Crown in the center, and the Normal Icon could be a flag or banner with an empty field.

m2c
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Perhaps a "Champion Circlet" that can become increased unto becoming a 'Crown'? Adorned with further 'contributions' even?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake T
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I find it helpful to search icon websites for key words. The Noun Project is probably my favorite.
https://thenounproject.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:

Difficult without knowing the theme, but:

Champion: a shield is good, maybe with simple arms on it; a trophy cup; a blue ribbon.
Normal: the slash circle icon used for traffic signs; —.

Intelligent: light bulb; book; scroll.
Durable: I-beam; rock of Gibraltar; steep mountain peak; shield could also be used for this.
Agile: a cat; a bird; a lightning bolt.

Strength/attack: I've seen an arm used; a sword; a mace; N.
Damage: a drop of blood; a cracked square (or whatever shape).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Browse here, see if you get inspired:

http://game-icons.net/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Cat - No Cradle
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wrote:
Difficult without knowing the theme...

I agree - Context is important otherwise the iconography can be disjointed..Shield might make a good symbol but how I would depict that for a medieval game would be much different than how I would for a Sci-fi game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:
Normal - Not sure at all, maybe no symbol? silhouette

Intelligent - Brain or head head
Durable - Maybe a rock, but not sure. either a kind of armour or a kind of outline of the silhouette
Agile - not sure at all. a winged foot

Strength/attack - Muscular arm, maybe. muscular arm
Damage - Explosion, or hammer, not sure. depends of the context: the symbol of a target for sci-fi / a hammer for fantasy

As said before the context would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replying.
To give you guys contex:
Each guild contains 9 normal and one champion characters.
Each card has an attack value, and a damage value.
Each character is either intelligent, durable, or agile.

The theme is medieval fantasy.

I was originally going to use 'hero' instead of champion, but it doesn't fit with all guilds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each guild contains 9 normal and one champion characters. Same symbol for each (e.g. a shield) but make it a different colour (gold vs grey) and slightly larger on heros. Make sure it works in low light and for colour blind players though.

Each card has an attack value, and a damage value. Sword & Shield? Stylised weapon & shield (upward pointing and downward pointing). Do you want to include the attach and damage values in the icons like in Star Realms cards?

Each character is either intelligent, durable, or agile - you could go for something quite abstract - as long as they are easily to tell apart then it's fine. It's a similar number of symbols to Star Realms so most people will remember them quickly. It also depends on how much space you have. Another idea is different animals (either realistic or heretic depictions) which have those qualities, possibly depicted on shields or flags. Fox/Owl, Badger/Boar/Bear, Weasel/Pine Martin/Red Squirrel (I'm thinking animals which would have been familiar in medieval Europe but it depends on your fantasy theme).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Champion - A trophy icon could work, but if this is something to differentiate the whole card then you you definitely change the overall card color or card border, or put a Star or shield or crown on it near the picture.

Intelligent - Icon of profile view of "the thinker" statue
Durable - Icon of a circus strong man
Agile - icon of a cheetah running, or a rogue-like character leaping as if between buildings.

Strength/attack - Is attack the ability to hit an opponent? If so, an arrow hitting a target would work.
Damage - Dagger, or drop of blood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Roup
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I think you've got it... if you are going your fantasy/medieval route, your icons should look that genre. Swords, shields, boots. Blood drops for damage. I always like gears/cogs for intelligence. If you have magic, it could be something arcane looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.