Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Manser
Canada
Didsbury
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,
I've talked about it on the KS pages, so now I, going to throw down my ideas here for everyone to read and comment on. From the beginning, I saw potential in this game, beyond the board game being KS'ed. Although I loved the idea of tile-based movement, I envisioned a vast world under the sea, in a constant state of flux. Four factions, all vying for control over the Lurk and it's most valuable resource-Aether. I saw a huge worl map growing in my mind, divided up between the four factions, with other, neutral areas to be taken over and ruled if any of the rulers felt strong enough to attempt it. Succeed, and you gain access to new troops, more Aether, and better weapons. Lose, and you weaken yourself to the point where you invite attacks from the other factions. And lets not forget about those areas thought to be too dangerous for any to control; those deep dark areas where monstrous creatures roam the depths, waiting for the foolish and the unwary to set foot or fin. It is here that the leaders stand to gain the most, but also, if entered unwisely, lose the most.

I don't have all the rules fleshed out yet, partly because I want the actual rule books on my hands so I can get a strong feel for the rule set, but also so I can get a stronger understanding of the back story. But until that happens, I'll explain what I've got so far.

I envision a world map that gets laid out in tile format, randomly, to develop a new undersea world each time a campaign is started. It can be played with with from 2 to 4 players, or more depending on how large a map you want to create. Each player would choose a faction and create a leader (more on this later), and pick a starting territory. each territory will earn their owners a set amount of Aether, which can then be spent to purchase new troops and defences. These would then be secretly positioned around the map, only revealed when they come into play or someone successfully sends a spy in to that territory. Each player would then spend their Aether and create armies with which to conquer more of the Lurk, growing their Aether stores, and building bigger armies. All armies must be built ahead of time, and can not be modified after a turn has started. Also, at the start of each turn leaders will allocate Aether to spend on political moves and spies. Neither of these are guaranteed successes so they are risky expenditures that may not pay off. All players must secretly declare their moves, with player order determined by dice roll.

Each neutral territory will have a defence force in place, with some being small tribal defenders, while others may consist of large cities with many strong, well trained forces. As the leader, you may send in diplomats to attempt to negotiate control, or send in your armies to take it by force. If you choose to do it by force, you and one other player will control opposing forces and battle for control. Without sending in spies, you'll have no idea how strong the defences are, or what the best technique for conquest is, so choose wisely. Win, and you've earned yourself new lands; lose, and you're a prime target.

The campaign continues until either all other capital cities are taken, or when a clear winner is decided.

Again, more rules will be fleshed out as I get familiar with the rules. Feel free to comment below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chase layman
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to play this out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar Wulfsberg
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are you thinking of building a huge game board or playing out select skirmishes and tracking the full campaign independently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.