Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost managed a series shut-out against CPU Stengel today!

Barry Sosa didn't stand a chance against my three magna gloves and clone...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fitzgerald
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Wow. Martin. My most is 2 shut outs in a series with the app. Well done!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikefitz wrote:
Wow. Martin. My most is 2 shut outs in a series with the app. Well done!!!!

Thanks Mike! I could have saved one of the runs in game 2 by using my on-deck card as visitor save, but I went for a blind draw hoping for a shut-out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
That is pretty impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the game's not hard enough for you guys. CPU Stengel is thinking about starting to peek at the player's hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First test game against the AI using the Rally Cap expansion.

I lost the season 3-0 while playing an economic game. I picked up some of the top Rally Cap cards, but CPU Stengel stayed away from them sticking with the old favorites. He only considers Pete Biggio and Bruce Smith good enough to be ranked within the top 10 of all players.

Pretty much everything went wrong. I had Rally Bot but wasn't able to bring him into play too often. I had Wilbur Wagner but he did absolutely nothing. I got Big Mo'ed on the last card of Game 4 right after playing Hideo Tanaka, getting nothing for his immediate action.

Stengel called his wins in Games 1 and 2, and was right on the first one, but considered the other matchups too close to call.

I'll be adding a bunch of new stats to that screen in the next few days: Hits/G, HRs/G, Cancelled Hits (maybe bases would be better?)/G, Visitor Saves, Extra Inning Wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm super excited for more expansions and stats! Any chance we could keep a running stat count across series? I'd love to keep track of my record with each of the starter teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dominated tonight although every game was close, including one that went to extra innings. I had a big spending power advantage, often having 8-10 million to spend on free agents when the AI never seemed to have more than 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thread - thanks Martin!

I have to find more time to play!!! blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what my scorecards are looking like these days.

A thrilling extra inning victory in Game 6. Stengel called the blowout win and it looked like he was right. I needed a last ditch pinch hit in the 5th inning to get back into it and drew the wonderful Model T with his 3 hits. Stengel decided to let the hits go through for the tie in order to play his last card for the win. My save turned it into a draw.

The next version of the app is pretty much done. I'm going to try some little tweaks to the AI this afternoon and maybe tomorrow, but you should be seeing the next patch and Rally Cap expansion go up some time next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my best games ever.

My Yankees swept the 3 game season and got off to a 2-0 lead in the series. CPU Stengel won Game3 and then shut me out in Game 4 to tie it up. It was a very strange series. Free agent pot had very few good offensive players and it was tough to make purchase decisions. Stengel was absolutely murdering me with a Cyborg he picked up early. Catfish Carlton. I didn't take him seriously because I had no big cyborgs of my own so his Cancel Hits was useless, but those 3 low hits kept getting sprung on me at the end of games.

Then we played the legendary Game 5 showdown. It went 13 innings and we both had great opportunities to win. Stengel finally came through. We each had over 20 buy points in the free agent rounds. Stengel bought X Ray 400 and another good player - I bought Barry Sosa and Rickey Brock.

Game 6 was a battle of the titans. Stengel calls the win but I take it with a last card save.

In Game 7, Stengel was in control throughout. I only had one PH card in this game and had very little flexibility. I usually have 3-4. My card was a modest Bat 90. A pinch hittable Robot HR. I decided to save him for the end. I went through my first 3 cards without getting a baserunner.

Stengel went into the last inning with a 6-3 lead. I played Bat 90 for his HR, with 2 runners on base, as my last card and looked like I might get away with it because both Stengel and I played this one without On Decks.

Stengel won on a blind visitors save from the deck which drew an original team member PickOff card with no offense. 6-5 after the HR.

Wow! And I had just adjusted the AI to not hold on to Pickoff (and other cards with only defense on them) so aggressively.

================================

The series I played previous to this one was also a Stengel win with me on my favorite Los Angeles team. I almost never lose with the Dodgers and I don't think I have ever lost 2 series to the AI in a row. Looks like my tweaks did the trick and I'm looking forward to seeing how you guys do against the next AI version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stengel finally got one over on me in a tight series. He picked up a bunch of big-hitting robots and there wasn't a curveball to be had.

Next I downloaded the Rally Cap expansion and got my revenge with a brutal bullpen comprised of a Closer, a Hold and a Clone. Winning the Indians way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Alekhine
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious to know the top scores people are seeing. Here's my best offensive series to date, culminating in a 15 run game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
15 is impressive! I tend to play a more defensive game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Alekhine
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
15 is impressive! I tend to play a more defensive game though.

I do prefer to shut down the AI, but you can see from Casey's scores that I played little defense in that series. I had a chance to get both Cloning and the guy who adds a hit to every card that follows. Combining those with some 3-hit Robots and it was a carousel of base runners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't even thought of that possibility - nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alekhine wrote:
I had a chance to get both Cloning and the guy who adds a hit to every card that follows. Combining those with some 3-hit Robots and it was a carousel of base runners.

That was a nasty bit of coding. Glad to see it seems to be working OK.

By the way, 16 run game in the screenshot up above.
Keep trying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That one went to 13 innings though, he did it in 6!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
..and it was CPU Stengel who got the win.

But Still...

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First time I've managed to beat Stengel while having fewer runs, hits, home runs and cancels!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It feels pretty good when you beat Stengel 7-0, even better when he said that he was favored to win the fourth game.

I have been playing a lot these days, mainly when commuting to work and coming back home. First four series I played just against Stengel + FA. The rest with first three expansions package.

With two series to go before I finish my three rounds championship, my balance is 51 wins and 33 loses for an average of 607. Last time I checked best team was Boston well over 600.

I enjoy this app as much as the board game. Great job !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.