$20.00
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m curious how images get up in the HOT list of game images as it doesn’t make sense to me. I follow this section frequently to find out about new games, but yesterday I noticed something that totally disqualified this “tool/service” for me.

While an image with 6 thumbs made it on the front page (didn't save the link), an image of a game I’m following received over 60 thumbs in the past 3 days but doesn’t even show up in the first 50 pages of the HOT list - where images with 10–15 thumbs keep sitting for days!

The fact that it’s not a recently uploaded image shouldn’t matter as older games (different HOTNESS calculations?) like Castles of Burgundy frequently come up in the game Hotness list even if nothing new is announced.

Do images that are older than a week or two disqualify to be HOT? And if so, why if there is interest in them?

Thanks for any insight!

Edit: There is definitely something not right with the calculations in the game image HOTness.

The image was posted on 2016-09-05, has 108 thumbs but doesn't even show up in the HOT game image list of the last 365 days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
To speculate, there was a bug reported later on Sunday which had significant representative impact across the site and required a lot of work from the coding team (forums in wrong records, expansions and other links not appearing, etc). It's possible this is why you became aware of an outlier.

I'm not aware of what the qualification for a hot images and other contributions are but in the past users have suggested a mix of traffic, thumbs, comments against elapsed time.

It's important to use time as a factor or else the images on the front page would always be the same cats in the same boxes. Rather than the fix; the same cats in the newest, most hyped games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, it is pretty straightforward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
über evil bob
United States
Mount Doom
Middle-earth
flag msg tools
And you thought Old & CE Bob was Evil
badge
LIVE ACTION SPAM HUNTER
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

great image from 2006
read the image comments

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

lol, this is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
To speculate, there was a bug reported later on Sunday which had significant representative impact across the site and required a lot of work from the coding team (forums in wrong records, expansions and other links not appearing, etc). It's possible this is why you became aware of an outlier.

That would make sense.
monkeyhandz wrote:
I'm not aware of what the qualification for a hot images and other contribution is but in the past users have suggested a mix of traffic, thumbs, comments against elapsed time.

It's important to use time as a factor or else the images on the front page would always be the same cats in the same boxes. Rather than the fix; the same cats in the newest, most hyped games.

I fully agree that some sort of current activity has to be considered. I hope the "bug" will be shown the door soon, especially with Spiel just getting started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Martial Solal - Bluesine || Balade du 10 Mars || Just Friends || In & Out
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to make sense of the hotness is a waste of time. If people were in the habit of doing things that make sense the world would be an entirely different place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

When you talk about The Hotness...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Can you spare half a
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
BeloW06 wrote:
I fully agree that some sort of current activity has to be considered. I hope the "bug" will be shown the door soon, especially with Spiel just getting started.

It's not a bug that there's a one-week window or so for new images, articles or geeklists to count as "hot". If publishers could get their followers to thumb any contribution to the front page for free advertising, they would never stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
BeloW06 wrote:

It's not a bug that there's a one-week window or so for new images, articles or geeklists to count as "hot". If publishers could get their followers to thumb any contribution to the front page for free advertising, they would never stop.

Likely there is something like that, but the fact it's not showing up in the Hot list of the past 365 days means that something isn't working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Can you spare half a
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess it's some kind of caching phenomenon. Maybe only new images are added to the all-the-images browsing results in real time, and older images are updated by a script once a week or something? I tried thumbing an image and the browser didn't reflect this, so it clearly doesn't query the image database for each view, but pictures that are almost a year old show the current thumb count, so it must be updated at some point. Either that or your image somehow fell through the cracks for inclusion in the first place, which I cannot speculate on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
It's showing for me on page 5.

and page 4 of the "Game" gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
It's showing for me on page 5.

and page 4 of the "Game" gallery.

I can see it there now too, thanks.

As others have suggested, there might have been a delay for it to be updated to that position. I checked a couple of hours in between before I posted the question, but it's all good now.

I also figured that there is a 1 week window when an image can enter the HOT game image list on the front page: Martians dropped out from the top spot when it was older than 7 days.

Learned a bit more about BGG again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think that there's something not working as it should.
This is the current HOT images list on the front page:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.