Hide
8 Posts

Karuba» Forums » General

Subject: Expedition Leader is like a Bingo Caller rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Stewart
msg tools
Enjoying this game except for calling out the tile numbers... too much like bingo. And also that the expedition leader is at a disadvantage that s/he can't see their tiles (looking at other player's tiles seems a bit awkward).

Perhaps it would be better if all players lay their tiles out face up around their board and tile numbers were determined by a separate stack of 36 numbered cards which is drawn from to determine the tile number.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this has been discussed here (somewhere), exactly for those reasons

I had some very cheap (and kinda crappy) poker chips, so I labelled them with the numbers, and we just draw from a bag.

Or get a simple random number app on the phone. I like the poker chips, we try our best to keep phones off the table ;-)

As you say, the caller otherwise is at a bit of a disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is badgeguy's helpful tile random generator.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1602944/karuba-helper-webap...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with the web app for the first time the other night.

I'll never play without it again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Stewart
msg tools
Super - thanks everyone... Bingo days are over!!
Looking forward to the next game of Karuba more now :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador C. Majoral
Andorra
Argentona, Barcelona
flag msg tools
I played that every player in clockwise turns chooses the tile they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Ford
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
salva wrote:

Hmmmmm... that sounds like a cool variant!

We do the poker chips in a bag thing also, and take turns drawing a number... but now I'm thinking, after the bag makes one trip around the table (so everyone has drawn one number) then have a round where each player in turn simply picks one tile of their choice. Then switch back and forth between random, and player choice rounds.

Might have to do two rounds of random pull to each one round of player choice, just to keep it more on the random side, but I'm liking this idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Howell                (What's Right?) (What's Wrong?)        
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
Brought to you by Zik Zak
badge
Brought to you by Zik Zak
mbmbmbmbmb
Mnty4rd wrote:
salva wrote:

Hmmmmm... that sounds like a cool variant!

We do the poker chips in a bag thing also, and take turns drawing a number... but now I'm thinking, after the bag makes one trip around the table (so everyone has drawn one number) then have a round where each player in turn simply picks one tile of their choice. Then switch back and forth between random, and player choice rounds.

Might have to do two rounds of random pull to each one round of player choice, just to keep it more on the random side, but I'm liking this idea.

But then you will have to have someone pull those chips from the bag so they don't get pulled on subsequent random pull rounds. Nice idea to get people involved in the actions that effect everyone in the game, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.