Popular Tags: [View All]
The Gamp
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I have a question regarding the "do everything you can" model of Codex. We had something come up in our last game where a player had a unit in the Lookout spot on patrol and was targeted by a spell. The opposing player paid the amount listed on the spell card (2) and didn't pay the extra 1 gold that is required by the Lookout spot because they were out of money. My understanding is that the 1 gold extra to target the Lookout is paid first, thereby making the spell too expensive to cast. Is this correct? Can the spell be played without paying the lookout cost if a player does not have enough gold to pay both?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
agampher wrote:
Can the spell be played without paying the lookout cost if a player does not have enough gold to pay both?

That would be too easy!

He just can't play the spell on that target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Zagieboylo
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This ended up being an important answer in another, even trickier, rules interaction involving Resist and Flagbearer. If you want to use a [target] effect, but one of your valid targets is a Flagbearer with Resist (including patrolling as Lookout), but you can't afford to cover the Resist along with the cost of your effect, what happens? Sirlin eventually had to chime in and explain that one, with the result that being exactly out of money is a way to get around Flagbearer and target something else, because the extra cost of Resist makes the Flagbearer no longer a valid target for your effect. Of course this involves being completely out of money, which isn't always a good idea. But if you just don't have enough [target] effects to waste one on your opponent's Spectral Flagbearer that he keeps patrolling in Lookout, maybe it's an option...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
agampher wrote:
Can the spell be played without paying the lookout cost if a player does not have enough gold to pay both?

That would be too easy!

He just can't play the spell on that target.

Yeah. Lookout increases the cost of a targeting effect by 1g. So it's like the spell actually costs 3 instead of 2 in that scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tietsort
United States
Windsor
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As in flyer can surpass patrol. If I attack and have no gold, and my opponent only has a lookout on patrol, can I therefore bypass the patrol as it is no longer a legal target and attack my opponents base?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiets wrote:
As in flyer can surpass patrol. If I attack and have no gold, and my opponent only has a lookout on patrol, can I therefore bypass the patrol as it is no longer a legal target and attack my opponents base?

Thanks

I'm not 100% sure I understand the question, but you don't need to pay gold to attack a lookout, only to target it with an ability or spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Leander
msg tools
Tiets wrote:

Thanks

As Mark said, resist only affects abilities and spells with the targeting symbol.

Afaik, the only thing that can stop a flier from attacking a base is another flier in the patrolzone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.