Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just played my second solo game, first full length game. Given the rulebook gives a target of 100 VPs as if it should be challenging to reach for beginners, I was a little surprised that I was able to score 110 VPs with a simple strategy of emigration and filling my home board.

My starting occupation was the refugee helper ($2 discount to emigrate), and I had already noticed how powerful emigration seemed (+18-21 VPs for 5-7 workers and a reduction of 2 food required for the remainder of the game). Being able to emigrate at a discount seemed too strong to ignore, so I played it on round 2 and began trying each round to purchase a ship and send it packing. With my extra workers I focused mainly on converting resources to green and blue to be able to cover my home board. I did no expeditions and acquired no additional shed/hut boards. The income I got from my home board combined with the generous harvest income in the long game kept me swimming in goods, and I was even able to forge two grey tiles with excess ore, which really helped. I played a couple more occupations (mainly to help with upgrading), and my score at game end was as follows:

75 VPs emigrated ships (18x3 + 21)
5 VPs occupations
30 VPs silver/income
No penalty for exposed spaces

Oh, yeah, and I never bothered with animal breeding either.

Did I just hit on something particularly strong, or is the solo target too low? I'm sure it would be much more difficult in the short game, but the rules warn against this and seem to suggest the long game is the default. What are others' experiences?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you get your copy already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not actually my copy but borrowed from someone who was involved in the English rules translation. He got his copy slightly in advance of the general release, it would seem.

But I was not aware the game was not out yet, so perhaps I will have to be patient to hear others' experiences!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Corning
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I made up an Excel simulation since all the information about the game could be found. I played 7 solo games before just "playing" mostly 2 player games. My worst score out of those solo games was a 107; the highest was in the 130s (I was playing 1 Occupation wrong so the exact amount was off a few points).

I find that, most of the time for the long game, it is well worth it to get an expansion map as you usually have enough time to get its bonuses as well as either finishing or nearly finishing your home board. In those games, I tended to try to get a few early occupations to give me some direction, then just get as much out of those occupations. All the different paths that you can go in this game make it interesting to try them all — housing + lots of food resources, longship raiding/pillaging, using whaling boats + hunting to get green goods then upgrading them with Knarrs, etc., etc., etc.!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. Perhaps the 100 VP goal given in the rulebook is too low, then. Although I just played three-player and the scores were 105-105-96, despite the rules saying solo scores tend to be lower than multiplayer since you get in your own way (I presume because in multiplayer this is avoided since players tend to do different strategies requiring different spaces? It didn't make much sense to me when I read it and it makes even less sense now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Two questions:

1. How did you end up with so much silver and final round income? Did you totally fill the board, not just the negative spaces, so you had something like 10 income + 20 leftover unused silver?

2. Did you ever run into issues with the previous round's workers blocking you with this strategy? Or was it a non-issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I filled the board, ending with 18 income and 12 silver.

Previous rounds' workers would block me, yes, especially since I was trying to do the same thing repeatedly. But it just meant I had to diversify my activities somewhat and not plan to emigrate every round and to get different types of ships. So if I planned around them they weren't much of a problem, as long as you don't consider doing something slightly less good than you'd like a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.