Hide
11 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rumours with Epic Monster rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Lea
msg tools
I have a question regarding those Rumours which place an Epic Monster on the board. Suppose the players don't manage to solve the Rumour before time (i.e. the Eldritch Tokens on the card) run out. The negative consequences of this are implemented, and the Rumour is at that point considered 'solved'. Now, my question is, what happens to the Epic Monster? Does it stay on the board, even though the card itself at that point discarded? Or, does the Monster's token also double as the Rumour token, and get removed once the Rumour is solved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/c/Catweazle00
badge
CatWeazle
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. This is tricky to answer without a specific example.

Without specifics what I would suggest is following exactly what is written on the rumour card. If as part of the rumour resolution text nothing is mentioned about the Epic Monster then I would keep that Epic Monster on the board. I would only discard it if the card specifically tells you to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, all the tokens from the rumor are removed when the rumor is solved.
However, I have checked that the reference guide is not that clear in this matter. Not when the Epic Monsters are considered.

I have issued a question to the FFG, so we should have a definite answer sometime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless it says to remove the epic monster, you don't. But with the rumor card gone (and all of them, IIRC, say 'solve this rumor'), they don't do more than sit around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
Unless it says to remove the epic monster, you don't. But with the rumor card gone (and all of them, IIRC, say 'solve this rumor'), they don't do more than sit around.
That's what I would think is correct based on the reference guide.
However, I seem to remember reading a clarification that says otherwise, so I need to make sure.
Especially, because this would be inconsistent with how solving the Mysteries work, while otherwise the rules for solving the Mysteries and solving the Rumors are the same.

Edit: Thanks to GermanTodd I have found the ruling I was following.
Here it is stated that all the tokens on the Rumor, or placed by the Rumor, are discarded.
I have included Epic Monster tokens in it, as those are also tokens.
However, those aren't placed. Rather those are spawned, so those would be exempt from this ruling. My mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Xelto wrote:
That's what I would think is correct based on the reference guide.
However, I seem to remember reading a clarification that says otherwise, so I need to make sure.
Especially, because this would be inconsistent with how solving the Mysteries work, while otherwise the rules for solving the Mysteries and solving the Rumors are the same.

I recall a ruling specifically for the TickTock Men, stating that they stayed on the board. I would assume that the same principal would apply to all other epic monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: The reference guide, in the "Rumor" section, states "When a Rumor Mythos card is solved, discard it, all tokens on it, and the corresponding Rumor token." Does this include the Epic Monster token, if there is one?

Answer: No.
Nikki Valens wrote:
Rules as written, any tokens placed by a Rumor other than its Rumor token and the tokens place on the card itself will remain where they are until some other effect removes them.

Nikki also mentioned that the current ruling creates some oddities ("Moved to Boston" comes to my mind) and that they're working on an errata, but the details of the errata are not known yet.
Personally, I'm hoping it will unify how Mysteries and Rumors are solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
mb
I think this is a half decent point to throw in my own question which semi relates:

(I believe that this was covered when Cthulhu's cumulative Eldritch tokens were discussed, couldn't find it looking around at the moment but I feel like someone might be able to confirm on here)

SPOILERS ************* Gonna be about Abhoth and his Mysteries

****************** Last warning for Spoilers

Had his first mystery as "Exploring the Caverns"

The one that makes you "When this card enters play, place 1 Eldritch token on spaces 4, 10, 19 and 21.... etc"
Needed Eldritch = half investigators to solve, in my case Investigators was 4 so I needed 2 tokens.

Once the tokens were on the Mystery and it solved at the end of the Mythos phase, do I remove the other 2 Eldritch tokens from the board?

The next mystery, "Sealing the Caverns" requires:

"After an investigator resolves a Research Encounter, he may spend 1 Clue he gained from that encounter to place 1 Eldritch token on the nearest Wilderness space that does not contain an Eldritch token.

As an encounter, an investigator on.... do a test on the Eldritch token etc etc".

If I had to discard the 2 Eldritch tokens from the previous Mystery from the board, it makes the next one substantially harder to solve, however if the tokens from the previous Mystery remain, it makes this Mystery a lot easier too.

Based on the above ruling for Rumour cards, it seems like it could hold true for Mysteries? But given the impact it will have I feel like someone on here has pondered on this one before!

Many Thanks!

PS. It was pretty thematic getting to Explore the caverns and then having to Seal them. Abhoth woke up and ate us all though .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In contrast to the Rumor rules, the Reference Guide is clear about Mysteries:

"When the active Mystery is solved or removed from play, discard
all tokens on it or placed by it. Then draw a new Mystery, placing
it on top of any solved Mysteries."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lea
msg tools
Ok, so it seems pretty clear that the Monster would remain in place, which is the way I've been playing it.

Thanks to all who responded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
mb
Thanks Mark!

Felt like I had read something about Mysteries SOMEWHERE, but couldn't find it, much appreciated!

That would also then take my defeat to a Crushing defeat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.