Hide
17 Posts

Anachrony» Forums » Rules

Subject: Focus and Clean Up Phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael D
msg tools
I was playing my first game tonight with my PNP version and came across a confusing part of the clean up phase.

We were in era 3 and I used my power plant to go back to era 1 to retrieve a warp tile which is in range.

I moved my focus back to Era 1 Time tile and paid the item off and removed the warp tile. I advanced my Time Travel marker on my player board.

But when it came to the end of round clean up we had problems with this rule:

D) Next Era
Advance each player’s Focus markers to the right along the Timeline (further details at “Power Plant buildings: Time Travel and Focus”, Page 16). Each Era begins with that Timeline tile in Focus for each player. Proceed with the next Era.

Do we advance our Focus 1 tile (I advance to era 2 and everyone else to era 4) OR do we ALL advance to the new era (All players' Focus is moved to era 4)?

ALSO

Under Power Plant buildings: Time Travel and Focus it reads:

Move your Focus marker onto any past Timeline tile no further to the left than the Power Plant’s range(measured from the current Era’s Timeline tile). You may also choose to leave your Focus marker on the same past Timeline as long as it is in range of the Power Plant used.

Could I please get clarification on what the bold portion means?

Thanks in advance! Can't wait for February delivery!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as far as i remember, when a new round starts all players start focus on the current timeline tile.

as far as the power plant goes, what it means is you dont have to move your focus you can leave it where it is, as long as it is still in range of the present.

to illustrate let me give you an example. lets say you have 2 power plants, one is range two and one is range three.

if you use the range 3 power plant and move your focus 3 spaces back. then you use your 2 range power plant, you couldnt keep your focus where it was because it is not in the range of the power plant.

however if you used your range 2 first, you could then use your range 3 and choose to keep focus in the same place because it is within range of the power plant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Marc said...

It is a bit confusing that the rulebook doesn't say anything about returning your disc to the current time at the end if the round, but since power plants only have an effective range based on the current age, there's no reason not to return the discs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
D) Next Era - Advance each player’s Focus markers to the right along the Timeline…
Do we advance our Focus 1 tile (I advance to era 2 and everyone else to era 4) OR do we ALL advance to the new era (All players' Focus is moved to era 4)?

All Focus markers move to the "present", i.e. the timeline tile of the current era. Imagine a "neutral" focus marker (= round counter marker) that advances in each era; this marker is "the present", and there you all assemble to prepare for the start of the next round.

Quote:
Move your Focus marker onto any past Timeline tile no further to the left than the Power Plant’s range(measured from the current Era’s Timeline tile). You may also choose to leave your Focus marker on the same past Timeline as long as it is in range of the Power Plant used.

This refers to a situation where you want to remove 2 warps from the same past era. To remove 1 warp you must activate a power plant to set the focus, and the warp removal & time travel advance are part of that activation. So, to remove 2 warps, you need to activate 2 power plants (or take some equivalent action). The sentence is meant to clarify that you are allowed set the focus to the same past timeline tile again for warp removal purposes.
Otherwise, your focus remains on the past tile anyway and you can act there (for example, do an experiment), but you cannot remove a warp by simply staying on the past tile, you need to activate a power plant for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
electricalstorm wrote:
D) Next Era
Advance each player’s Focus markers to the right along the Timeline (further details at “Power Plant buildings: Time Travel and Focus”, Page 16).

Without reading the whole relevant section of the rulebook, I agree that the above explanations of how the Power Plants work sound very reasonable. But it seems weird to me that the rulebook would mention "further details" regarding Power Plants here, if they do not affect how focus is handled when going into the next era…

electricalstorm wrote:
Each Era begins with that Timeline tile in Focus for each player. Proceed with the next Era.

The common interpretation seems to be that they mean "Each Era begins with that the new Timeline tile in Focus for each player."

But this whole section could very well be interpreted to mean that each players' focus marker should only move 1 space to the right.

Will
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
get a ping if I mention him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
Without reading the whole relevant section of the rulebook, I agree that the above explanations of how the Power Plants work sound very reasonable. But it seems weird to me that the rulebook would mention "further details" regarding Power Plants here, if they do not affect how focus is handled when going into the next era…

To me it seems weird to comment on the rules without knowing them exactly. The section referenced for "further details" is exactly that, a section that explains in detail how power plants work and how focus is set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately listing a user in a post does not notify that user...you need to send him a gm to let him know of your question.

After sleeping on it, I could see a ruling where you just advance one from your current focus which would allow you to build a super project there...but you would still need to activate a power plant to return something to the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got a response from David - all focus tokens reset to the current age at the start of each age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PunTheHun wrote:
To me it seems weird to comment on the rules without knowing them exactly.

That's exactly why I disclosed it clearly at the beginning of my comment. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me my trespasses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yongtae Park
msg tools
I also have some questions.

According to the next rule,

The bold seems to mean that I may leave the focus marker to build superproject for the next turn.

Then can I bring back the focus marker to current era just after the time travel?

And if I decided to leave the focus marker on the past timeline tile, then can I bring back the focus marker anytime to build current era's superproject? or they should stay there until I use another power plant or end of the turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a) in the preparations for the next round move ALL focus markers to the new era
b) when using a power plant you can move the focus to any era in range, including the current, and you don't have to change, this is done before the removal of wrap tiles
c) there is no other rule, if you want it to be back to the current era you have to use time travel again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
msg tools
Disagree with Alex.

I see nothing other than the End of Round phase that allows for moving focus forward on the timeline.

Although this is a new game and I have been known to make errors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's subtle, but if you look at the section "Power plant buildings: time travel and focus", you may "Move your Focus marker onto any past timeline tile no further to he left than the Power Plant'a range (measured from the current Era's Timeline tile)."

That last bit is important. It's always measured from the current era, not from where the focus marker currently is. So that's how you move it forward on the timeline - just use a power plant again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy is correct...it took me a couple read throughs of this section for it to sink in for me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, sorry for the slow response, Essen day 0...

So in summary:

When you use the power plants, you can select any past era no further than your range, including the one where the focus marker currently is. (That's what the "you don't have to move it" bit refers to)

So if it's the fourth turn, you have a range of 2, you can warp to era 2 or era 3, regardless of your focus being in era 2, 3, or 4. Note: you may never set your focus to the present via a time machine.

At the end of the era, you move EVERY PLAYER's focus marker to the then current era (in our example to era 5, for the next turn). This is partially important as mentioned upthread because then next turn (assuming your range is still 2) you can now warp to 3 or 4. (2 is out of range now, and 5 is the present thus unaccessible.)

But the more important reason for putting the focus forward is the superprojects! The only time you can build the 5th SP during the 5th turn, is before you first use a time machine that turn. Since once you used your time machine, your focus is either in era 3 or 4, and there is NO WAY for you to get back to era 5. (You'll have to wait til next turn THEN travel back via time machine.)

Whereas if you warp something to era 3, then you realise you want to build an SP found in era 4, you can use your 2nd time machine to move the focus there (which is moving your focus forward, but still into your relative past), and THEN build the SP.

Does that make more sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
msg tools
I rescind my previous statement. You can move your focus forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tuzzi
Italy
Milan
Lombardy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, but not to the present era. Time machines (aka power plants) can only send you back in time, not keep you in the present after you have travelled back.

So, as David said, if you want to build a super project in the present, you have to do it before using any power plant to travel back in time.
If you want to retrieve a warp tile from present era, you can only do that getting an anomaly in phase 2, building power plant 111 or building Lab 407 (all of which have a "retrieve warp tile without focusing" immediate action icon, which doesn't let you advance your time travel track, but lets you take back a warp tile from present era)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.