Subject: Expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans Møller-Poulsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

There's mentioned an expansion in the rulebook. Could we get an idea of what that will add/change?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Toystorian
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion mentioned in the rulebook is the Cabin Interiors Expansion. This includes Interior location cards, the Ranger Rich token and ladder tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Møller-Poulsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Greg. It seems I should peek into the tinbox again whistle

Looking foreward to play with wife and kids - next week we'll have a vacation meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocky Pierce
United States
West Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how the expansion works. I assume it's a side board. Probably have to go to the cabin so you can get in, maybe. I haven't looked too much into it, but I've read the rule book cover to cover and there is nothing on it, but a reference sheet and it mentions it in one place. Are there any typed up rules somewhere? What is it for, just more places to go or is it another game completely and the location cards are replaced with expansion cards. In that case it wouldn't be an expansion. Just need some clarity. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's just on the Quick Set Up Sheet.

You replace the campgrounds with the cabin interiors cards for Act 2. It adds Ranger Rick, who can heal people or scare them depending on what he currently is and the ladders so there will be some locations you can get trapped in. That's all.

In act 3 you go back to the campground cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocky Pierce
United States
West Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the Quick reference cards were just that, something to refer to during gameplay. I hadn't looked much at those. I'll check them out. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rpierce1892 wrote:
I thought the Quick reference cards were just that, something to refer to during gameplay. I hadn't looked much at those. I'll check them out. Thanks.

There's a couple quick reference cards. There's two for set up, (one for base game and one including the expansion), there's the character line up cards and I think there's also another that has a summary of all actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are currently two ways to play the game -- using the Act 2 and Act 3 setups that have the same locations as Act 1, or using the Act 2 and Act 3 setups that have the interior locations. It's one or the other. You decide which of the two options you're going to use when you start the game.

I don't think I will ever use the Act 2 and Act 3 setups that have the same locations as Act 1 -- the interior location setups are so cool and add more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
There are currently two ways to play the game -- using the Act 2 and Act 3 setups that have the same locations as Act 1, or using the Act 2 and Act 3 setups that have the interior locations. It's one or the other. You decide which of the two options you're going to use when you start the game.

I don't think I will ever use the Act 2 and Act 3 setups that have the same locations as Act 1 -- the interior location setups are so cool and add more variety.

Agreed. But still, it would've been nice if a separate rules sheet was included, or a page in the rulebook, devoted to the expansion, to explain everything discussed in the above posts.

Yes, it's all on the "Quick Reference" card. But as mentioned above, many peoples' brains (to include mine) think of a "quick reference" as being exactly that, and not the source document for a set of rules.

In the end, it's no big deal, as all the expansion rules are found on the QR card, after all! But for those players who don't find their way to this thread, it becomes a process of figuring it out on their own. I'd rather games didn't leave players to "figure things out" on their own, is my point.

Though this is certainly not the first game to throw an expansion into the box without a separate specific set of rules. At least this game includes them on the QR cards. I've got a few games that don't even do that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, after further review of the rulebook, I did find several places where the expansion is taken into account, and built into the rules.

Bottom Line: The expansion isn't explained in the rules, but it is integrated into them, if that makes sense. So that's good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Griffiths
United Kingdom
Bexleyheath
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to clarify i've got this right, as even after reading the Quick Reference i was under the impression that they were just two different scenarios entirely...

So, to correctly use the expansion you do the following:

Act 1) Standard Cards layout
Act 2) Expansion Cards layout (per QR)
Act 3) Standard cards layout (per QR)

??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Toystorian
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Andrew Act 3 is a combination of Standard locations and Expansion locations. And there are additional components and rules such as the Ranger and the ladder tokens that come into play in the Expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Griffiths
United Kingdom
Bexleyheath
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Greg! Would you say it's easy enough to use with first time players, our stick to the base initially?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Toystorian
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would start with the base game. In the expansion you can be trapped in a location and if the ladder has been used you are stuck. So the puzzle is a little more complicated to complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.