$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I guess this is what Jeremy calls a Humblebrag, but I am so joyful today about the news that I had to share it anyway.

So 15 plus years ago, after God's prompting me to do something about the AIDS epidemic in Africa and my prayers asking for guidance on what specifically I should do, I sponsored/adopted a orphan girl from Kenya through Compassion International.

Today she found me on Facebook and we chatted live for almost 2 hours. Not only is she a delight to talk too... She has just started University, and is training to be a a community health care worker with a specialty in HIV management.

She repeatedly told me how much my support had made a difference in her life and how she feels honored to be following in my footsteps by studying science, being a Christian, and taking a stand for gender equality as a female leader in her community.

She calls me Mum when she talks to me ... blush and thinks of herself as my daughter.

It is amazing what impact a few letters and gifts can have on the life of somebody so far away. Especially in a part of the world less inundated with "things".

And what a huge difference a mere $36 a month in the hands of a reputable charity can make in schooling and health of a child in a poor nation.

I am so proud of what she has done and is going to do with her life!! She is so fired up about making a difference in her community and the world! And she plans on doing that by loving others, they way she has been loved. I am genuinely humbled to have been just a small part of God's plan to shower her with that Love and look forward to continuing to be so.

She is truly the daughter of my heart.

As I will never have a chance to have a child and she lost her parents young, that God wisely managed link such similar hearts up from across the globe is just another reason why I say... He is worthy of my Trust. Every time I seek and follow His guidance... it turns out to have been a very wise thing indeed. Let the Blessings Flow.

• [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally I would say something wildly amusing at your expense, but you're a good egg. good on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A generous person will prosper;
whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.

Proverbs 11:25
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
So I guess this is what Jeremy calls a Humblebrag, but I am so joyful today about the news that I had to share it anyway.

So 15 plus years ago, after God's prompting me to do something about the AIDS epidemic in Africa and my prayers asking for guidance on what specifically I should do, I sponsored/adopted a orphan girl from Kenya through Compassion International.

Today she found me on Facebook and we chatted live for almost 2 hours. Not only is she a delight to talk too... She has just started University, and is training to be a a community health care worker with a specialty in HIV management.

She repeatedly told me how much my support had made a difference in her life and how she feels honored to be following in my footsteps by studying science, being a Christian, and taking a stand for gender equality as a female leader in her community.

She calls me Mum when she talks to me ... blush and thinks of herself as my daughter.

It is amazing what impact a few letters and gifts can have on the life of somebody so far away. Especially in a part of the world less inundated with "things".

And what a huge difference a mere $36 a month in the hands of a reputable charity can make in schooling and health of a child in a poor nation.

I am so proud of what she has done and is going to do with her life!! She is so fired up about making a difference in her community and the world! And she plans on doing that by loving others, they way she has been loved. I am genuinely humbled to have been just a small part of God's plan to shower her with that Love and look forward to continuing to be so.

As I will never have a chance to have a child and she lost her parents young, that God wisely managed link such similar hearts up from across the globe is just another reason why I say... He is worthy of my Trust. Every time I seek and follow His guidance... it turns out to have been a very wise thing indeed. Let the Blessings Flow.

Thanks for making a huge difference in their life. Good for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this is bragging but, if it is, it's the kind worth doing. Thanks for sharing this small piece of light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a believer myself, but if your faith led to this then that's pretty cool I guess. Thanks for making a difference and for sharing something positive in RSP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is wonderful! Thanks for posting it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something worth bragging about! Good job and good for your 'daughter.'

I know many people in RSP are doing well off and I hope this encourages them to give to charity if they are not already doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you all for the kind words, but Sheila is the real hero of this story.

If you are interested in reading more about girls like my daughter, here is a link to stories from 10 of them.

10 Portraits of some of the most courageous girls in Kenya

My daughter is not one of these specific girls. She is 20 now. I am still able to continue to be her sponsor for a few more years because she is going on to University. Of course I plan on staying in touch with her even after she finishes!

But sponsorship of girls in particular makes a HUGE difference in Kenya.

Quote:

Compassion Center Director, Mathare Valley

Generally in this community girls are more vulnerable. Boys are regarded as being strong. Unless someone intervenes for them [girls can] have a very bad life. They are mistreated by men. Very little children are defiled.

There is actually a very big difference between girls in the [Compassion] center and the girls who are not. You can even recognize it by looking at those girls. They have a very high self-esteem because they are getting an education. But above all, because they have been attached to a church and to the Compassion center, they are able to get a lot of other skills from seminars, camps and training. Often parents have experienced a cycle of poverty and they won’t understand why it’s important to send their girls to school. That’s why the church is important, we help them understand.

We feel they have been protected from what is going on outside the center walls. The girls have been able to discover the potential inside them, despite what is outside and all around them. People just need hope. Through the church and the center they have discovered something they would never have been able to otherwise.

When these girls are strong, they are really strong.

I have been very happy with Compassion's focus and handling of the money I donated thus far for the two children I have been sponsoring for well over a decade (I started sponsoring another child a few years after I got Sheila). Therefore I would happily recommend them if anybody was interested in sponsoring another girl from the area. Personally for me their motto of "Releasing Children from Poverty, One Child at a Time, In Jesus Name" was part of why I originally looked into using them and researching their operational guidelines and success rate sealed the deal for me.

However there are other more secular ways to help I am sure if you are so inspired but are personally uncomfortable with the specific charity I used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
However there are other more secular ways to help I am sure if you are so inspired but are personally uncomfortable with the specific charity I used.

That's me. I'm interested if you think you know enough to make other recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:

Congratulations, Lynette! Daughters are true treasures.

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for sharing, Lynette.

To share such insight into seeing how successful such a program can be is definitely worth the risk of being perceived as bragging.

It is great to know how well this can work out, and I'm very happy for both of you.

Once everything settles down on my end, I may ask for more information about the organization. Thanks, again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

That's me. I'm interested if you think you know enough to make other recommendations.

I have not spent a lot of time investigating other organizations "with intent" in several years. My want to donate list is much longer than my have money to spend list ever since I ended up on disability pay a few years back.

However Aid for Africa has a list of organizations it claims to have vetted well which they work through. Most of which appear to be secular focused and several of which specifically focus on Education of Girls.

They have a general girls education fund OR you can read up and pick to fund a specific effort from a list of charities they have vetted and currently work with.

Quote:

Donate to Aid for Africa Girls Education

Aid for Africa champions girls’ education in Africa. Many of our member organizations provide scholarships to girls who would not otherwise be able to attend school. Below is a list of member charities that support girls in primary and secondary schools and college. Learn more about them and donate to support their work below. Your donation helps African girls go to school, stay in school, and succeed in life.

http://www.aidforafrica.org/girls/donate/

They have a Maasai Girls Education Fund and an Advancing Girls’ Education in Africa effort, along with several other options.

Here is a link to the criteria they look for in charities they partner with.

http://www.aidforafrica.org/member-services/eligibility/

-----

If you are looking for something more focused and personal here are a couple of smaller girl focused schools. But being smaller they don't get vetted by the big Charity services so you would need to do some reading and checking yourself into their accountability history.

Here are just two of the several available.

There is a Canadian charity that has a boarding school. It is $700 for sponsor a girl for one year at the school. They claim you can have as much or a little contact with a sponsored child as you like.

http://www.kface.org/about-the-foundation/

Quote:
When was KFACE established?

The Kenya Foundation to Aid Children through Education (KFACE) was established in 2010 under the Society Act of British Columbia and granted charitable status by Revenue Canada under #83911 5201 RR001.

-----

Also Light of Hope Girls School might be worth considering.

http://lightofhopekenya.org/

"Educating Kenya’s girls of today.
Empowering Africa’s leaders of tomorrow."

It was founded and is run by a married Christian couple (The husband Boni was born in Kenya) with a heart for girls in Kenya, but they are not specifically church run as far as I know.

Quote:
Light of Hope, a girls school in Kenya that empowers the young girls it serves to break free from the cycle of poverty, abandonment, and abuse.

Why girls?

From birth, girls in Kenya face tremendous challenges. Sadly, 52% of Kenya’s girls receive no more than an 8th grade education and 16% of women lack basic literacy skills. At it’s root – extreme poverty:

40% of Kenyans are unemployed
43% of the population lives below the poverty line
10% of Kenya’s 15 million children are orphans

Even when families do have the resources to support a secondary education, they tend to invest in their boys.

When you compound these challenges with the tendency to undervalue girls and rampant gender-based violence, the world quickly becomes a difficult place for young girls to navigate – but it’s not without hope.

And education is the answer.

Founders

-----

And last but not least... an old article on how to find the right fit for you if you are looking to do a direct sponsorship similar to mine.

How to find the Right Child Sponsorship Charity for You

Quote:
Religious affiliation.

Of the 10 highest ranked and most popular child sponsorship charities on Charitynavigator.org, eight are church based. If you are looking for a secular charity, these exist, as well. Two secular charities that make Charitynavigator's top list are Save the Children and Asha for Education.

Asha for Education is only in India (though those children are important too) but Save the Children operates in Africa.

I have no direct information about their programs are focused nor how they work, so you would need to read up on those things on their sites, but I trust Charity Navigator's ratings in terms of using donated money for what they say they are doing.

Good luck delving deeper and I hope you find an organization you feel comfortable working with to help 3rd world Children in Poverty get a better education and hand up in life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
Good on Sheila, and good on you, Lynette.

About a year ago, my mom made me promise that if she died before her two sponsorships finished that I would take them over until the girls graduated. So I will be sponsoring these two young women, one in Ghana, and the other I can't remember, but through International Needs.

I guess I need to write them both letters and explain that I'm taking it over and share a bit about myself and whatnot. But it just feels like one more thing right now and more than I can handle. I honestly don't know if my mom ever wrote them. How often do/did you write your daughter? Did you send the extra money when the program suggested to do so?

----
As for secular means, a friend of mine is very involved in raising money for girls to attend school in Burkina Faso. I don't think you can "adopt" a single child, but you can make a big difference. http://www.burkinagirls.org/
https://www.facebook.com/burkina.girls/

----

Edit: Lynette, if you come back, don't bother responding to me on here. I will gm you personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advisory: Research This Organization Thoroughly Before Deciding Whether To Consider Making Any Commitment To It

DaviddesJ wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

Before you consider making any commitments to it, I recommend you consider thoroughly investigating the way that the organization is currently being run, especially in order to see if the CEO who was running it back in 2010 is still there or not, because he raised some hackles 6 years ago after he followed Pat Robertson's lead in demonizing Haiti after its catastrophic earthquake there.

> Excerpts from the January 19, 2010 Right Wing Watch news story by Kyle Mantyla entitled:

Christian Leaders Side With Pat Robertson While "Satan Reigns Over Haiti"

In addition to Gary Cass of the Christian Anti-Defamation Commission and ...

Bryan Fischer of the American Family Association, we can now add Wiley Drake to the list of those siding with Pat Robertson in the wake of his Haiti “swore a pact to the Devil” comments.

Evangelist broadcaster Pat Robertson attracted criticism last week when he said that Haiti was “cursed” because it “made a pact with the Devil.”

But that hasn’t stopped Buena Park Pastor Wiley Drake, a Southern Baptist, from saying he shares Robertson’s view.

Rev. Wiley Drake of Buena Park Baptist Church wrote:

I don’t know that God brought that earthquake [to Haiti] or not. However, the misfortunes of the country – including its extreme poverty, ongoing political turmoil and frequent natural disasters – could be repercussions of the alleged deal with Satan. They [the Haitian slaves who led the revolution to overcome their French colonial masters] said, “If you’ll help us, we’ll dedicated ourselves and our government to Satan.”

"While the Devil pact was set to expire in 2004, then-President Jean-Bertrand Aristide approved Voodoo as an officially recognized religion, renewing the deal," according to Drake associate David Fox, a missionary in Haiti. "However, the subsequent ouster of Aristide prevented that renewal from taking effect.", Fox says.

I asked Rev. Drake how the current devastation could be attributed to an expired pact:

"The pact may not be there, but the results of it may be,” he said.

In related news, Raw Story reported that Dr. Wesley Stafford, president and CEO of Compassion International, told Focus on the Family during its Jan. 18, 2010 broadcast that “Satan has had absolutely free reign” over Haiti, so much so that “you can literally feel the evil in it”.

Dr. Stafford also told Focus on the Family that Haiti was a disaster even before the earthquake ever struck.

Dr. Wesley Stafford, CEO of Compassion International wrote:

Haiti … has been a disaster in almost every way long before this ever struck. And it is a nation, between you and me, I guess, that Satan has had absolutely free reign in that nation. And while the missionary effort and the church effort has been enormous, this is a nation that you can literally feel the evil in it.

But then as the church lives out its faith, having come through this deep, deep valley, my great prayer is that there will be a great wave of healing and change in the nation of Haiti … that could only come about through an interruption like this and only happen through the glory of God.

While Dr. Wesley Stafford was its CEO, a representative of Compassion International made some rather provocative remarks which sounded partisan and entirely uncalled for.

> Excerpt from the January 19, 2010 Raw Story news story by David Edwards & Daniel Tencer entitled:

Christian Leader Dr. Wesley Stafford: "Satan Has Had Free Reign In Haiti"

Last fall [2009], the organization [Compassion International] criticized Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for cutting financial aid to Honduras in the wake of the coup that ousted President Manuel Zelaya. [Compassion International] communications director Kathy Redmond said that the funding didn’t affect the group’s finances, but made it more difficult to provide aid.

“Even when non-humanitarian aid is cut off, it still hurts the most vulnerable that are there,” Redmond said. “And, Honduras – in terms of their economy – is the second poorest nation in the western hemisphere, only behind Haiti.”

When I discovered that Compassion International is based in Colorado Springs, Colorado, that raised a number of red flags in my mind because Colorado Springs is one major epicenters for Dominionist organizations.

C. Peter Wagner, one of the main proponents of Dominionism, co-founded the World Prayer Center in Colorado Springs.

Focus On The Family and its political arm, Focus On The Family Action, both founded by James Dobson, are headquartered in Colorado Springs. (Meerkat has lauded these Dominionist-theology-driven organizations despite their vile anti-choice and anti-LGBT propaganda and involvement in advancing those discriminatory so-called "religious freedom/protection bills".)

The U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs has especially been at the epicenter of some recent years' controversies concerning Dominionists' and Christian Supremacists' hazing and pressuring of academy members to bend and submit to their sectarian beliefs.

For more information, check out the Huffington Post news-story link:
No Dominion: The Dangerous Fight Against Christian Supremacists in the Armed Forces

Here's a relevant excerpt:

Matthew Harwood, senior writer of the ACLU wrote:

Mike Weinstein, the lead attorney of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF), has had a number of cases dealing with Dominionism advocates infiltrating the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs.

As recounted in his 2006 book, "With God on Our Side", attorney Mikey Weinstein’s confrontation with Christian Supremacism began during his youngest son Curtis’s freshman year at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs.

Sitting at the base of Pike’s Peak, Colorado Springs has been called the Christian Mecca. More than any city in America, evangelical Christianity saturates its streets. For instance, James Dobson’s "Focus on the Family" sits just across the interstate from the Air Force Academy’s airfield.

Before he was outed for allegedly doing meth and banging a male prostitute, the Rev. Ted Haggard ran the 14,000-strong New Life Church in Colorado Springs.

That extreme conservative religiosity has long permeated the Air Force Academy. Unsurprisingly, it doesn’t like or respect diversity of any kind, as two generations of Weinsteins (who are Jewish) would discover....

Mikey Weinstein talks about Christian Supremacists like they’re vampires, demons determined to drain secularism and religious pluralism out of the military. That realization turned what was once a personal fight against anti-Semitism into a more lofty principle.

“Wherever I see unconstitutional religious predators in the U.S. military, of any stripe, I don’t care if I live or die. Someone’s gonna get a beating and we’re going to do it,” Weinstein says. “The two ways to administer the beating is to go into the media or into court,” he explains, a strategy distilled from his fight at the Air Force Academy.

Lance Benzel, a journalist for Colorado Spring’s The Gazette, recently summarized Mikey’s Civil Rights agitation aptly: “Condemn in the strongest language possible. Publicly embarrass. Sue if necessary. Each new step raises the pressure on his publicity-averse targets.”

What the U.S. military has realized over the years is that the mosquito they swatted at didn’t only have bite; it also had malaria....

96% of the Military Religious Freedom Foundations’s 18,300 military clients are Christians - many Roman Catholics and mainline Protestant - that have been treated by their more spirit-filled comrades and commanders as not Christian enough.

“This is not a Christian-Jewish issue,” Mikey argues, “It’s a Constitutional right-and-wrong issue, and Christian Fundamentalism does not recognize the supremacy of the U.S. Constitution over its sectarian theocratic dictates.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
James, the toilet is over there >>>>>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
When I discovered that Compassion International is based in Colorado Springs, Colorado, that raised a number of red flags in my mind because Colorado Springs is one major epicenters for Dominionist organizations.

Well, of course. That's where Dominionism springs from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

DaviddesJ wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

Well, of course. That's where Dominionism springs from.

You might be right as to where modern (latter-day) Dominionism is situated there in Colorado Springs. After all, one of the seven major spheres of influences they intend to dominate is the military (i.e. government). And until Mr. Weinstein's Military Religious Freedom Foundation came along to challenge them, they and other Christian Supremacists were enjoying relatively free reign at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

she2 wrote:

If the toilet that you're ever so coyly alluding to is for the religio-bigoted anti-Haitian remarks made by the 2010 CEO of Compassion International, I do hope they flushed him out of their organization. After all, it was *he* who added to the stink already raised by Pat Robertson's demonization of Haiti.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
she2 wrote:

If the toilet that you're ever so coyly alluding to is

I'm wondering whether there's some charity organization which could, for $36 per month, provide you with an education in the general area of determining whether someone is telling you to fuck off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

kuhrusty wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
she2 wrote:

If the toilet that you're ever so coyly alluding to is

I'm wondering whether there's some charity organization which could, for $36 per month, provide you with an education in the general area of determining whether someone is telling you to fuck off.

Just because you don't like the facts of a matter, attacking the messenger in no meaningful way makes the facts go away.

I suggest you invest that $36 in obtaining yourself a reality check.

Moreover, the issue of the matter had nothing to do with the monthly charity-cost factor anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone shit all over this thread on page 1. Way to live up to your rep RSP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You know, like, for realsies.
badge
Vaughn had always been a good student, but now it seemed as though he mastered his lessons too quickly.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Lynette! I'm glad to see your donation and caring have made such a wonderful impact.

DaviddesJ wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

The charity that I donate to is a little more in line with what you're requesting, and I really like them.

Heifer International (https://www.heifer.org/gift-catalog/index.html)

What I really love about this organization is that all of their work goes towards sustainable long-term growth. You donate money and they give a family a goat, or chickens, or a cow. These animals will provide sustainable nutrition and income for the family and allow them and their communities to grow.

Or they create irrigation systems for long-term agricutural growth. Or clean up the drinking water. Or teach women how to run a small business, and teach others how to do so as well. Or any number of other really worthwhile projects.

Check out all of their various projects here:

https://www.heifer.org/gift-catalog/index.html

These people are doing real, productive good out there in places less fortunate. But more than that, they are trying to create a system in which those people will lift themselves out of the situation, bettering themselves and their communities in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.