Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As posted on SJGames forum:

Alright folks . . .

You may have heard that miniatures for Ogre are on the near horizon. If not, well guess what? They're on the near horizon! We've begun to explore decals for the minis to facilitate players making miniatures with appropriate markings. Why have just a red and black Ogre, when you could have a red and black Ogre with precise Combine markings and unit designation?!

(-drool-)

But we're (almost) starting from scratch here. I know I am. I know these exist, and have for decades. But I'm woefully ignorant as to their pros and cons. And so I'm turning to you, my Ogre experts extraordinaire, to help guide me in the right direction as I educate myself (and others!) on this issue.

I know DIY sites exist, and have perused a couple. But I have no idea as to the quality or responsiveness of any of them. So what I'm looking for is the following:

- Which sites produce quality decals?
- Which sites are most cost-effective? Cheap isn't always better (see above).
- Which sites have reasonable turn-around times? Gorgeous decals aren't much use if it takes 5 years to get them!
- Which sites have good, clear instructions on using their decals? (This actually is a really important issue. . . ! We may have a bunch of "newbies" {like me!} using them!)
- Any other info you think would be valuable for me to know would also be of interest.

So I'm throwing the gauntlet down; who is the best?

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used lots of decals over the years.

A couple things to think about: These decals are going to be VERY tiny, which will make them hard to work with, especially for folks who have never done so. The other thing to think of is color choices. Some will stand out better than others, and since people may have differing color schemes on the miniatures you may want to offer several color options.

Anyway... I used these guys a few years ago when I wanted some custom decals made: http://www.fightingpirannhagraphics.com/index.htm

They did a great job and were pretty quick, and I thought reasonably priced. There was a fee for the 'set up' for each sheet, then a price per sheet for the decals.

I've gotten several sets from these guys too: http://www.i-94enterprises.com/products/decals-setting-solut... (link is to their 'how to' page).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second Fighting Piranha Graphics. They helped me with a decal for Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China. I paid about $21 for the decals and I have extras now, but it was totally worth it:

I used Microsol decal products to attach the decal, covered it with glaze, and then sealed with a matte spray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sockwell
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might do well to check out some local model railroaders and get their advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.