Subject: Gaming Bags rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Cheng
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just out of curiosity: I've seen at least two Kickstarters for gaming bags and in each case the bags have been almost ridiculously expensive: easily north of $100.

Why are these gaming bags so expensive? Is it something to do with the cost of construction? Or is it the fact that are overpacked with features?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fasttrackxf wrote:
Just out of curiosity: I've seen at least two Kickstarters for gaming bags and in each case the bags have been almost ridiculously expensive: easily north of $100.

Why are these gaming bags so expensive? Is it something to do with the cost of construction? Or is it the fact that are overpacked with features?

It's a good point and something I too have noticed. Economy of scale maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've yet to see anything better for the value than a cajon bag. They cost about $20 on Amazon and are almost custom made for board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I've yet to see anything better for the value than a cajon bag. They cost about $20 on Amazon and are almost custom made for board games.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRMHGQ4/ref=twister_B00JDNYOAW?...

This right here has served me well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CDiablo wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I love the fact that when I clicked that list, the "Customers who bought this item also bought..." list included 25 gaming related items, two items which *could* have been bought for games and only three items that were clearly no for gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Same reason why a mass-market family game costs less than a specialty hobby one. Lower print runs (so to speak) mean more overhead costs spread among fewer units. If a backer thinks the features are worth it, fine. I guess it's better than buying more games that sit unplayed in the closet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
oneshallstand wrote:
CDiablo wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I love the fact that when I clicked that list, the "Customers who bought this item also bought..." list included 25 gaming related items, two items which *could* have been bought for games and only three items that were clearly no for gaming.

This is hilarious-

Cajon bags go nicely with those lightweight trolleys from Ikea, the "Frakta".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They never seem that feature rich to me, so I think they're overpriced. As others have mentioned the cajon bags fit games perfectly and can be found for $20. I even splurged to get one with a little extra padding and a shoulder strap and barely hit $35. I can't see anything in these Kickstarter bags that would warrant 3-5x that price.

I realize that part of the higher cost is based on small the production runs. But, when there's practically the same bag on the market for 1/5 the cost, then the bag really needs to be doing something special to justify that cost.

There have been a few bags that try to provide combined storage for multiple games. But, that just seems like it'd make for a mess when you finally do get around to playing. The nice thing about keeping the game in the boxes is that you know what components go with the game. No having to sort through several games components to find all the bits to your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cheng
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good points; We have a cajon bag as well (thanks to a thread on BGG), and it works pretty great per cost. I guess there are just a lot more cajon players than board game players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fasttrackxf wrote:
Good points; We have a cajon bag as well (thanks to a thread on BGG), and it works pretty great per cost. I guess there are just a lot more cajon players than board game players.

???

<Googles cajon>

Oooohh!

Up till now, I thought that Cajon was just the brand name of the company making the bag...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Ozludo wrote:

Cajon bags go nicely with those lightweight trolleys from Ikea, the "Frakta".

Ikea actually sells a zippered bag specifically for that trolley; fits standard square boxes nicely, and can take most of the standard rectangular boxes pretty well. It's way cheaper than the Cajon bags, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cheng
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess I just didn't realize how brutal economies of scale are for bags and things of that sort. I thought it would be pretty cheap...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm torn on this. I've looked at gaming bags and been quietly impressed by the thought that went into the design and quietly depressed by the cost and I have two conflicting thoughts on this.

1: Presuming the quality is A1, then I reckon a bag of that size and design might weigh in for the same price if it was released by Samsonite or Swissgear or a a similar company. Knowing how much I paid for my Camera bag (Samsonite) and backpack (Swissgear), then a bag big enough to hold x number of games doesn't seem unreasonable (I still wouldn't pay that amount when there are other options available though).

2: Some outside suppliers see gamers as a soft target, I'm sure. They see folks buying 12 cards for the price of a poker deck and spending four times the cost of a Monopoly set for a game they've never heard of and think that here's a hobby that's loose with it's money. I refuse to buy game branded acrylic paints or brushes any more based on this and similarly glass beads/counters are at vastly different costs dependent on the source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karlyn Singh
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is this the first I've heard of cajon bags? They look perfect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Eide
Norway
Kongsberg
Buskerud
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You cleary missed this Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnwrot/game-night-bag...

Cool, and functional bags for 9$

I got 2 bags I use to every game night

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oneshallstand wrote:
CDiablo wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

The thing that struck me was the 100pcs 32mm Clear Round Case Coin Plastic Capsules Holder Container New on that list. That didn't seem like it was associated with musicians or gamers, but when I checked the "people also bought" list on its page, it seemed that it is the board gamers after all. Are people "sleeving" cardboard tokens now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tineren wrote:

The thing that struck me was the 100pcs 32mm Clear Round Case Coin Plastic Capsules Holder Container New on that list. That didn't seem like it was associated with musicians or gamers, but when I checked the "people also bought" list on its page, it seemed that it is the board gamers after all. Are people "sleeving" cardboard tokens now?

Seems a little extreme, but I could believe it. Unless it's an intriguing way to make your own tokens or counters, just print and slip inside the case. Actually... that sounds pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Levithn wrote:

The bags that style work pretty well for board games. I'd just rather have something that zips closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:
Levithn wrote:

The bags that style work pretty well for board games. I'd just rather have something that zips closed.

Agreed. Given that I move backwards and forwards between the UK and the North-East of China, I prefer something a bit weather proof. I used to have a "Head" sports holdall with squared corners that was perfect for carrying games (and indeed used to ferry games everywhere I needed) for a long time. Sadly it reached the end of it's watertight existence and was relegated to attic storage, but I'd definitely look for something similar if I need a serious game bag again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
oneshallstand wrote:
Tineren wrote:

Seems a little extreme, but I could believe it. Unless it's an intriguing way to make your own tokens or counters, just print and slip inside the case. Actually... that sounds pretty good.

Those are mainly for order tokens in StarCraft and Forbidden Stars. They get a ton of handling and the tokens can't be marked since they contain secret information that is critical to the game strategy. A lot of people's tokens have started showing uneven and obvious signs of wear after 5-10 plays. Since both games are OOP or soon to be people are buying them to protect order tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife bought me a "31" Deluxe Utility Bag, it holds 7 games that are the size of Ticket to Ride. Real sturdy and the stitching on the handles are really strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cue P.T. Barnum.

Pete (supposes Thomas Tusser would do too)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.