Matt
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing the turn 2 opening and one American turn the Japanese look like they get 11 victory points and will probably get at least 8 the next turn.
I figure I must be counting the points wrong because I dont see how they can be stopped?

They hold Singapore and Manila for 6 points plus Lae, wake, gilberts, Rabaul, and Bangkok. So 11 points with 20 meaning victory.

What are the Americans supposed to do?

Maybe you only get the points once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MaximumPain wrote:
After playing the turn 2 opening and one American turn the Japanese look like they get 11 victory points and will probably get at least 8 the next turn.
I figure I must be counting the points wrong because I dont see how they can be stopped?

They hold Singapore and Manila for 6 points plus Lae, wake, gilberts, Rabaul, and Bangkok. So 11 points with 20 meaning victory.

What are the Americans supposed to do?

At the end of each turn you count up the objectives the Japanese hold. For example, even if the Japanese did not get any new objectives the next turn, but continued to hold onto Singapore, Manila, Lae, Wake, Gilberts, Rabaul and Bangkok they would still have 11 points. You say that the Japanese will get "at least 8 more on the next turn." You are probably looking at Leyte, Rangoon, Hollandia, Brunei, and Surabaya for 5 of those. Where do you expect the other 3 to come from? Calcutta (3) is extremely difficult for the Japanese to take (As matter of fact you would have to have control of Rangoon first --something you have not achieved yet).
Port Moresby, Guadalcanal, Elice, or Attu would be one point each (and any three of these would get you the 3 additional ones for a total of 8 on the next turn. However, the Japanese or so limited because of need of oil and army units to achieve all of those objectives on a single turn! I am not even sure that it is physically possible (Leyte, Rangoon, Hollandia, Brunei, Surabaya, Port Moresby, Guadacanal, Elice or Attu). And even if it were possible, you would still be at a total of 19 (one short of victory).
You just need to keep playing and I am sure you will see the difficulty of what you are suggesting. Keep in mind that the US Navy can react with considerable force to Japanese moves on several of these objectives, and The British would be totally inept if they allowed the Japanese to take Calcutta.

I have played numerous games over the years, and have come extremely close (19) but just have never been able to get that 20th that is required for an automatic victory. And even then, it was well into the game (turn 6 or so) before the Japanese were sitting at 18 or 19 and just needing one or two more.
If you get to 19 at the end of turn 3 or 4, I would very much like to see a summary of your game in order to see how you accomplished it. Good luck Matt. It IS a great game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
MaximumPain wrote:

Yup. Taking a base gives you the VP(s), losing it loses you the VP(s), but just holding it from turn to turn doesn't affect the VP track.

Unlike Rod, I've seen the the Japanese achieve 20 VP a number of times, but it's involved either newbie American players and/or cutting the US-Oz supply line, which does give you new VPs for each turn you manage it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Japanese often, (and should) get fairly close to victory in the early game. Generally speaking, they often get to 17, 18 or 19 points within the first 3-5 turns.

They will usually win if they manage to cut the supply line to Australia (for an instant 2 VPs at the end of the turn they manage to do so, pushing them up to 20 VPs). If they don't manage to do this, they typically are unable to get to 20 VPs, and the inevitable slow US fightback begins.

The last few times I have played as the Japanese I have managed to cut the Australian Supply at the end of turn 4, 5 or 6 to steal an instant victory - it has typically been a risky all-or-nothing gamble to do this, with a huge amount of Japanese resources spent on sending as large an invasion force as possible to the relevant island, and often has come down to the results of a few dice. The US can make this extremely difficult for the Japanese player by positioning enough naval and carrier units within Reaction Movement range of any potential supply-cutting targets. If the Japanese fail, they are all spent and give an easier following turn or two to the US player while they build up their Oil Points again.

One of the most satisfying wargame experiences there can be is to play as the Japanese in Fire in the Sky, to come extremely close to an instant victory in the early game, and then just about hang on with your increasingly pathetic defensive capabilities to hold out for a 1 or 2 VP victory at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.