Pandemic» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pandemic : few questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gloum Kupaa
New Caledonia
msg tools
Hello,

Sorry if I'm not posting in the sub dedicated to Pandemic, but it seems rly low on activity.

I've finaly received my copy of Pandemic + 3 expansions today! A few questions arise :

1. Would you start with any of the expansions mixed in the base game directly or learn the game with the base one?

2. In case you do not mix right away, can roles from other expansions be played or it would unbalance the game?

3. We will certainly be 5 tonight to try it, can I add the extra player without adding expansion (if not advised) or it would unbalance the game / not enough cards?

4. Is 6 research stations a must have or it's too much?

5. What are the most common mistakes? Any rule that can be easily missinterpreted?

6. Which roles are considered the best? My friends can be easily demotivated and for the first games I think i'll give them the "op" ones.

7. You are awesome guys, thank you for your help!!

Have a great day people!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3. If it is everyone's first play, I would suggest sticking with 4 players. One person could be in charge of teaching and looking for things in the rulebook.

5. Common mistakes / FAQ here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/300287/common-mistakes
Some of the common mistakes / FAQ stuff are on the last page of the rulebook, depending on the edition you have.

The rule we got wrong which is really important is that you have to be in, say, New York, with someone to give someone the New York card. (But the Researcher can give the New York card to another player as long as both pawns are in the same city.)

We also screwed up the setup a few times. Be sure to deal out the player hands first, and then put the Epidemic cards into the 4 to 6 piles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy root
United States
Kingsley
Michigan
flag msg tools
We also screwed up the setup a few times. Be sure to deal out the player hands first, and then put the Epidemic cards into the 4 to 6 piles.

I think my brother and I forget this every single time we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiai Weidemann
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloum wrote:

1. Would you start with any of the expansions mixed in the base game directly or learn the game with the base one?

I would start with the base game

Gloum wrote:

2. In case you do not mix right away, can roles from other expansions be played or it would unbalance the game?

This is a mixed bag. Some would be fine and some would not. Best to just not add them

Gloum wrote:

3. We will certainly be 5 tonight to try it, can I add the extra player without adding expansion (if not advised) or it would unbalance the game / not enough cards?

I would avoid this.

Gloum wrote:

4. Is 6 research stations a must have or it's too much?

If you are talking about placing research station in the field. I have played this game many times where the only research station on the board is the one in Atlanta.

Gloum wrote:

5. What are the most common mistakes? Any rule that can be easily missinterpreted?

Others have mentioned many. We also messed up setup once, by placing the infection cards from setup face down on the top of the deck. It made the game really hard.

Gloum wrote:

6. Which roles are considered the best? My friends can be easily demotivated and for the first games I think i'll give them the "op" ones.

I think giving your friend the medic is the best idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gloum Kupaa
New Caledonia
msg tools
Hey!!

We've did a game at 4 and all enjoyed it, even if we've lost ; (

I've got 2 other questions tho :

When you have 7 cards in hand, can you discard as much as you want freely or do you have to use the actions like fly / build a station / and such to discard them?

Do you use an action to create a cure? Does it use the 4 actions?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2016 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
Hey, go vote to choose the Hack the Black contest winners!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Pandemic rules forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloum wrote:

When you have 7 cards in hand, can you discard as much as you want freely or do you have to use the actions like fly / build a station / and such to discard them?

You are never forced to play anything, but you can play an event card instead of discarding something if you want. If you don't want to or can't play a card then you must discard.

Gloum wrote:

Do you use an action to create a cure? Does it use the 4 actions?

Yes, it takes one action to cure a disease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bockelman
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloum wrote:

Sorry if I'm not posting in the sub dedicated to Pandemic, but it seems rly low on activity.

In the future, go ahead and post it in the Pandemic forum. Many users have subscriptions set up to be notified when a new forum thread is posted, so there will be people to answer your questions, even if it doesn't seem like there is much recent activity in that game's forums. And the people who are subscribed to the Pandemic forums are the people that would be best to answer them.

Welcome to bgg!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gloum Kupaa
New Caledonia
msg tools
joefunk wrote:
Gloum wrote:

In the future, go ahead and post it in the Pandemic forum. Many users have subscriptions set up to be notified when a new forum thread is posted, so there will be people to answer your questions, even if it doesn't seem like there is much recent activity in that game's forums. And the people who are subscribed to the Pandemic forums are the people that would be best to answer them.

Welcome to bgg!

Hello!

Didn't know about that, thank you ver much about the tip!
Thanks for the welcoming!

Thank you everyone for the help!!

have a good day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.