Daniel Fawcett
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm designing a gladiator themed card game, figured out the basic mechanics of how it will work, and created a super basic version with a 1st grader's photoshop skills. This is the first time I've come up with a game idea and said to myself, "Hey this is cool! I'm gonna spend a few hours teaching myself photoshop so I can playtest this with myself." I'm simply asking for advice on when to start looking and how/ who to look for. Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
One precept that many people hold to in game development is to prototype early and playtest a lot. This is because the gameplay can (and will likely) change a lot in early development. If you put much energy (or money) into design at the early stages, it makes it hard to revise, because it means throwing away or altering that work. One phrase for this phenomenon is "path dependence."

In other words, you should wait to commission or do much in the way of art until you're well down the development path.

Best,
Brendan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you readed the article pinned at the top?
It's a small guide about how and when to deal with soliciting art, it should be helpful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.