Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Mackie
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A new(-ish) game I’d been keen to have a go at for some time, and finally got my chance tonight. Each player (in a 4p game, at least) gets two colours of track pieces and builds contiguous lines connecting the stations of London’s tube system. Get points for building on special marked spaces, reaching a terminus, creating big loops, joining specially-marked stations, and getting the passenger to ride on your lines. All pretty simple.

For about the first one-third of the game, we all seemed to keep pace with each other on the score track. Nick avoided using much of his second track until almost the second half of the game. Richard and Andrew built well around the middle section of the network, and Andrew then seemed to break out on the score track after completing a loop (the blue network in the picture). Keen to keep up with the movements of the passenger around the middle of the board, I built my black line from the south-eastern terminus of Lewisham, with distant hopes of forming a loop myself. Unfortunately, a) I was too short-sighted in chasing the passenger for trivial points, which resulted in a number of useless branches and the loss of any hope of making the loop, and b) my first play of the game was to bring my grey line in from the top corner of Epping, again to pick up the passenger, and here it stayed for most of the game, cutting severely my effectiveness in scooping up points for joining stations or the occasional passenger pick-up.

Andrew maintained his enormous lead right up until the last turn of the game, while my position seemed to slip progressively further back, and from about the half-way point I was at a loss as to how I could hope to get back in the running. Nick and Richard make excellent gains in the last few turns, and it is fitting they should end end up sharing 2nd place a mere one point behind Andrew.
I doubt OtU will make it into my top ten, but I’m keen to have another go in order to see if I could improve on my poor performance here!
20 mins rules and setup; 72 mins playing time.
Results: Andrew (blue-green): 47. Richard (orange-red): 46. Nick (white-yellow): 46. Paul (grey-black): 37.

(Originally posted on www.themineshaftgap.com.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.